Back to Urban Nature: Connecting Cities, Nature and Innovation

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Urban Nature: Connecting Cities, Nature and Innovation by Lund University

How can nature help us design and build our cities? Nature-based solutions have the potential to provide multiple benefits across a range of sustainability challenges facing cities. They can help to limit the impacts of climate change, enhance biodiversity and improve environmental quality while contributing to economic activities and social well-being. But what are nature-based solutions? Examples include green roofs and city parks that reduce heat, city lagoons that can store water as well as vegetation and rain gardens to intercept storm water. This course will explore nature-based solutions in cities in Europe and around the world. It will connect together the key themes of nature, cities and innovation. We will discuss how to assess what nature-based solutions can achieve in cities. We will examine how innovation is taking place in cities. And we will analyse the potential of nature-based solutions to help respond to climate change and sustainability challenges. This course combines both technical knowledge and the social sciences to better understand nature-based solutions in a holistic perspective. New governance arrangements, business models and financing, forms of citizen engagement and innovation pathways will be needed to make the promise of nature-based solutions a reality. In this course, we bring together a collection of diverse films and key short readings on nature-based solutions as well as interactive forums and practical assignments to create an online learning community for nature-based solution in an urban world....

AR
Mar 3, 2020

Excellent course I have learned alot about the importance of nature and how nature can be used as a solution for solving urban problems. Great experencie can't wait for the next course.

SE
Feb 17, 2020

Excellent preparation and presentation of course materials, enthusiastic lecturers, good selection of case study and broad perspective on the subject-keep up the good work!

76 - 100 of 103 Reviews for Urban Nature: Connecting Cities, Nature and Innovation

By João F N S

Feb 18, 2021

I really liked the course and the idea behind it, but I feel it lacked some technical, quantity data, for example how much the temperature in Melbourne would increase if they lost their urban forest, or how much would a green roof would, financially, contribute to a region (using installation and maintenance costs).

Other than that, it was a great course!

By Parth K

Feb 22, 2020

A good start to understanding the basic facets of Nature-based Solutions. With the growing needs and concerns amongst the young generation regarding climate breakdown, this course can prepare professionals as well as students with research interest to dive into the world of green infrastructure.

By Sonia M O

Feb 25, 2021

I love the way the course was set up. Very helpful and easy to pay attention with different videos and presenters. I also appreciated the readings, resources, and how they really give examples about different parts of the world. It was a little too theoretical for me but I still learned a lot!

By Andrew C

Mar 18, 2021

Well curated and researched information on the start of the art of Nature Based Solutions. Readings were comprehensive - better summaries or key information sections would have been helpful. Quiz questions could be more clear.

By Muhammad F

Aug 12, 2020

This course helps me to see the other cities around the world in another perspective. This course is overall good and give me knowledge about how important to live with nature with the best innovation in urban area.

By Mary A M

Jun 8, 2020

I would like to be able to find out current info about what is happening in all the cities used as case studies for the course so I can know what the lasting impact has been.

By AMEY G

Aug 20, 2020

Great Course. Lot of examples to refer, which are otherwise difficult find it on one platform anytime elsewhere. Detailed structuring for the week wise learning.

By In-Ho K

May 3, 2021

Peer review assignment placed in the second week seems to be an excellent arrangement. Providing the Urban Nature Compendium is another excellent arrangement.

By Juan C

Mar 1, 2020

I personally believe that the course provides you a broader vision of NBS and helps you know more about how to implement NBS in your city.

By HARSHIL B

Its a great course to learn about the nature based solutions, their impacts, governing strategies and benefits to the society

By Diana B

Jul 27, 2020

Ver y Interesting to see how we really have to have a holistic approach and motivate those who are no yet oonboard

By MD. M L C

Nice to know about many different strategies and techniques of urban planning considering the environment. Thanks.

By Saurabh S

May 23, 2021

It was very informative course. I felt it could have been more detailed with some more interesting case studies

By Harrison S

Dec 7, 2020

A general introduction to sustainability if you're going to approach it on a professional level.

By Dyon T

Feb 17, 2020

I found the cource very usefull in my professional everyday work in Urban and rural planing

By Jef D P

May 17, 2021

It is a very interesting course and a good way to provide the course material.

By Patrick S

Oct 19, 2020

Nice course. I would appreciate more real cases to analyze and discuss.

By Maya M G

Mar 29, 2021

Relevant, dynamic, engaging and full of real life examples and cases.

By Jean B

Feb 24, 2020

Fun and insightful but a little disorganized

By Inca A

Apr 3, 2020

Would love to see more readings

By Sergent B

Feb 7, 2021

Nice this my passion

By arne n

Feb 16, 2020

My one gripe would be that while this indicates a lot of useful information and knowledge of regulatory organs that need convincing to support greening efforts, the general message isn't progressive/radical enough. Without requesting Greenpeace level activism, a little more potentially constructive ideas would be great, considering the vast majority of currently existing urban landscapes largely neglect green and blue solutions, apparently to an increasing degree simultaneously with population increase. instead of added splotches of green here an there, widespread and integrated long term solutions would effectively tip the scale in favor of not waiting for the electric revolution to turn cities into nice spaces again in 30-40 years. In addition, and this is possibly just me being a douche, while the presentation from the city of Berlin is likely made with good intent, the actual reality of being in that city is very different from entering one of the very few and far between green spaces neatly presented in the video. But, positivity is good.

By Rajashekhar S S

May 5, 2021

The course is different from others and refreshing to see new fields. When I took this course felt most of the content is repeated in videos. Even in every recording the background showing parks and other aspects are the same throughout hence bores the reviewer. All the content presented in this course is not much but due to repetition, it looks like too much content. So I suggest people increase content and while editing videos show more and different examples etc.

By Nina B

Feb 24, 2021

The course was definitely interesting and good in terms of context, however, I found it very frustrating that the readings and the video's were in fact the same! I found the Podcast less useful (I simply do not have the patience for it), but this is a personal preference. I really like that you ask questions during/after the video's.

By Rafik Y

Jun 14, 2020

Honestly speaking, I had higher expectations of this course. I was expecting more practical knowledge rather than theoretical info. I liked the last week because I felt that is was the most practical one. My recommendation for this course is to introduce more applications in earlier weeks (in week 3 for example)