Back to Agile Meets Design Thinking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Agile Meets Design Thinking by University of Virginia

Despite everyone's good intentions, hard work and solid ideas, too many teams end up creating products that no one wants, no one can use, and no one buys. But it doesn't have to be this way. Agile and design thinking offer a different--and effective--approach to product development, one that results in valuable solutions to meaningful problems. In this course, you’ll learn how to determine what's valuable to a user early in the process--to frontload value--by focusing your team on testable narratives about the user and creating a strong shared perspective. As a Project Management Institute (PMI®) Registered Education Provider, the University of Virginia Darden School of Business has been approved by PMI to issue 25 professional development units (PDUs) for this course, which focuses on core competencies recognized by PMI. (Provider #2122) This course is supported by the Batten Institute at UVA’s Darden School of Business. The Batten Institute’s mission is to improve the world through entrepreneurship and innovation: www.batteninstitute.org....

OT

Feb 24, 2017

This course was an excellent introduction to Agile, particularly for a 'newbie'. Having heard about Agile I've been interested in learning more and found this course to be exactly what I needed.

GN

Jan 16, 2020

It's a great overview of what can be achieved with putting agile into the center of discussion and why is it important, and also how to achieve those goals which are set out in a practical way.

1 - 25 of 376 Reviews for Agile Meets Design Thinking

By Anna S

Sep 21, 2018

This course is about product design rather that than about agile management, so be wise while choosing. In general, it contains a number of interesting technics and a lot of practical assignments where you can master you knowledges. It was a bit hard for to concentrate on topis, because the tutor uses too much general words and adjectives

By Josue d L D

Apr 17, 2018

This course provides the basements in terms of concepts but also drives you to build knowledge by exercising. Describing personas and storyboarding were the best topics for me.

By Oliver T

Feb 24, 2017

By Olexander R

Jan 10, 2019

This course structured my understanding of User stories and approaches how to identify and describe personas and use them for creating User stories. Thanks!

By Deniz G

Jul 26, 2018

This course and all the other modules of the Agile Specialisation is awesome. Alex is a great teacher and the things he teaches are very practical. The videos from the experts are great too, it gives a realistic point of view on the topics of interest. I especially like the resources provided with the course. Alex`s website is full of useful and practical information such as the Venture Design Template. I feel like I can start the job immediately after I complete each module. Alex - thanks for your style and humble approach on the topics of you accept that you are not an expert (such as mood boards etc) and yet try to provide some useful guidelines to us.

Finally I am happy that there are assignments that force us to practice what we learn and they are designed in a smart way. It is really great that there are not only quizzes but also these assignments that I really feel I learned something after I pass the assignment. It also showed me how hard some of the topics can be and that need so much thinking than just watching the video and saying that `yeah, it is straightforward!` cause it is not that straightforward and one need to spend the time to think over these topics and practice.

The only thing that I don`t like much is that the assignments are also peer graded. I wish to have also an expert`s correct and true opinion. Also peer assignment grading should be a little tougher as it is hard to fail someone`s assignment that really needs to fail. We should be ready to fail if it is deserved but it is hard through the grading rubric.

By Jaime S

Jan 31, 2018

This was a very useful course, even if you understand or have used agile practices like I have. I found this course helpful in sharpening my skills, particularly with the use of personas. The content of the course is appropriate, professional, and applicable. The instructor gives clear explanations and examples, and I found the content engaging. The videos are short, so learn at your own pace. The assignments were good practice to reinforce the techniques learned. I also found the materials to be very useful. Lastly, I liked the guest speaker videos. That adds variety and perspective to the content.

By Ilya T

Jun 27, 2016

The value of this course exceeded my expectations. The course contains lots of useful, relevant and well-structured information related to Agile practices and Design Thinking. I knew about Agile before taking the course, and had been practicing it for some time in one way or another, but this course has greatly improved my understanding of basic principles of agile and, more importantly, taught me some very specific approaches and methodologies which can be applied to real-life projects.

I highly recommend this course to anyone interested in Agile or IT development in general.

By Barbara N

Jan 19, 2018

I really enjoyed this course, it was interesting and engaging. The presenter was excellent as is the course material. I liked that there was supporting information provided (like the videos with the leaders in Agile). I've been working in quasi agile environments for ages and can see how we can improve the process. Also, as I usually work as a Business Analyst, I can take away some of the techniques to use there even if the project is being run in the old style waterfall approach. The course works led nicely into the assessments. All in all, very well executed.

By amardeeep s j

Jun 19, 2017

I really enjoyed the course and it has enabled me to approach design and my work with a different approach. Alex, has done an amazing job with he coursework and simplified a difficult topic such that it can be understood and practiced by the masses.

The assignments have good examples and links to relevant subjects to make a holistic learning experience. I am abysmal with my fine art skills and cant draw, nevertheless whilst doing storyboard Alex provided the link to storyboard your story with ease and it helps a lot. It was my first storyboard and I enjoyed it.

By Uchenna M M

Jul 08, 2016

although this is my first time in learning about Design thinking, I'm happy to say that I love the way Coursera put together the specialization.

I am really excited about what I have learnt so far, most especially in this first week alone! for instance I got to here about the importance of instrumenting observation at the design and experimentation stage of a product and releasing in small batches as way of achieving expected outcome.

I look forward to more opportunities to learn more about Design Thinking under Coursera and her partner institutions.

By Mark H

Feb 15, 2020

Alex Cohen really knows Agile. That is probably because he has real world experience starting new ventures and using Agile methods to deliver great software products. Alex is super clear in all of the video sessions. And a really big plus are all of the extra materials that Alex provides. His website dedicated to Agile is also fantastic, super clear, and an extremely valuable resource. In fact, the template provided to complete the course assignment is perfect for using with your own Agile team.

Thanks Alex!

By Manoj J A

Jan 05, 2020

This course from the University of Virginia (UVA) of 5 weeks was amazing learning. The teachings from the instructor, serial entrepreneur and Stanford dropout Alex Cowan was so practical. It felt as if I was in his class- face to face - with the Coursera platform. The real-life project problems, the students shared, from SAP SCM by myself, Salesforce SFDC from Brazil, CRM case study from Switzerland, Auto Routing of breakdown service from Japan and many others was truly a global village of learning.

By KAZIBWE S

Mar 11, 2016

Its the best a an IT professional or product development expert has to keep handy with,as software and aspiring entrepreneur,it personally taught me a lot and changed the way i go about my development. If you ever want to have certainty over the market direction of your product,Agile Meets Design thinking might not be the only but is the best way to go.Thumbs up to the organizers of the course, it was not only well taught and delivered but fun and engaging.

By Julie L

Jan 21, 2020

As a tech marketing executive, I want to make sure our outbound messaging and campaigns are focused on the key strengths of our products and services so we can stand out in the marketplace. This class gives me the tools to build out messaging and campaigns on the various personas and user stories. Moreover, it gives me more credibility with the engineering team so they will feel more of a need to partner with marketing and bring us in early in the process.

By Rizwan U H C

Aug 17, 2019

A very well structured course that enabled me to get the deep dive into what is agile and design thinking. Must appreciate if you could please add slide of take home that is crux of lecture at the end of each session. In actual when you are learning all alone you can have different ways to perceive things so in order to keep the user confined and to align his thoughts with what the teacher taught we must have main points of each session at the end. thanks

By Joel H

Mar 04, 2018

This is by far one of the best courses I have taken through Coursera! The audio is clear, Alex is well-spoken, and he is clearly a leader in this field. As impressive as his course is, the resources included are absolutely invaluable. If you're looking to further your education in Agile, or just need a thorough, easy to follow recap, this should be top of your list. Do yourself a favor and check out his website, as well.

By Megan J

Jun 26, 2018

So far this course is awesome, as a marketer by training it's really easy to digest and the principles are easy to understand. Very close-in to what you've learn and already know as a marketer but offers a different framework to think about consumers and insights in a more interdisciplinary fashion that requires collaboration and group problem-solving. We should have all been on agile methodology a long time ago.

By Bernard D V

Jan 16, 2018

First course of the specialisation "Agile Development Specialization".

You will learn Agile origins, how to create personas, problem scenarios and alternatives.

You will search for a good software idea and create a storyboard.

It's a really interesting and complete course.

I recommend this course if you are ready to do all the specialisation because doing this course only makes no sense.

By Sukhatai S

Sep 24, 2018

I like this Agile course and going to register next others.

It is good because the course that teach about thinking, normally not easy, but Alex can explain it efficiently and make me understand step by step of thinking process.

And this course often encourage me to think what & why.

If we have the correct thinking process, I am sure that the outcome will be good as well.

By Isac S P

Oct 04, 2018

Alex Cowan is a great instructor. The way he explains the subject is clear, concise but most of all engaging. His material on his personal site is very thorough and provides clear answers to the questions we usually ask when embarking on a new software project. I will be completing this certification because I think it's worth it. Thanks for the experience.

By Ramender K

Dec 28, 2016

Awesome course that definitely required some dedication indeed. The quizes were fun because they were challenging ... there should have been a way to randomize the questions better because the questions were awesome but repeated in different tries to improve my scores ... and so, it became easier to correct your mistakes (that's a positive actually).

By Karin W

Mar 27, 2018

Really great course that gives a profound overview as well as demos and exercises to practice important steps like writing personas and problem scenarios. Great resources also on the professor's website that are integrated in the course and are really helpful.

Thank you, Alex & team!

I can really recommend this course and the entire specialisation.

By Fil G

Jan 21, 2017

Very good course. Excellent material and good coverage of the subject matter. Lecturer does a very good job of presenting the information in a clear, easy to understand manner. Exercises are well thought out and provide practical experience with the material. All and all great course. Can't wait to take the second part of this series.

By ganesh d

Oct 03, 2018

This course gave me a systematic approach to put the problem from customer perspective very clearly. Creating stories, understanding a persona with Think, See, Feel & Do, brings out many unique aspects of the persona, which later helped for creating action points to provide solutions to be problem. Thank you, Ganesh De

By Erez M

Apr 30, 2018

It might sound strange, but there are only a few good courses that really deal with agile development. This course is definitly one of them. I have enjoyed the format of this course and the journey it took me through. The live interviews with experts from the industry are a great bonus to the learning. Thank you Alex!.