Back to Introduction to Corporate Finance

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Corporate Finance by University of Pennsylvania

This course provides a brief introduction to the fundamentals of finance, emphasizing their application to a wide variety of real-world situations spanning personal finance, corporate decision-making, and financial intermediation. Key concepts and applications include: time value of money, risk-return tradeoff, cost of capital, interest rates, retirement savings, mortgage financing, auto leasing, capital budgeting, asset valuation, discounted cash flow (DCF) analysis, net present value, internal rate of return, hurdle rate, payback period....

LL

Oct 22, 2016

The professor is very patient, he spends a lot of time making sense of the equations and the calculation process, which helps me comprehend the concepts and their application really a lot. Thank you!

Jun 01, 2020

I gained knowledge on cash flow and it's calculation. It improved confidence to learn and gain more in my expertise. Good instructor and all classes were practically explained which were helpful.

1 - 25 of 831 Reviews for Introduction to Corporate Finance

By Lutz E

Jun 03, 2016

Horrible. Like all Wharton Courses massively shortened and in this case also extremely dumbed down from the initial installment by Allen (of Brealey Myers fame) after he left Wharton. Corporate Finance has here been more or less reduced to a quick superficial glance at time value of money and investment metrics. If you want to learn anything about Corporate Finance, this is absolutely the wrong course. In addition have the passing requirements also been reduced to kindergarten level, so that passing this course is of absolutely no value at all (no, I do not exaggerate, it is truly THAT bad). My candidate for the lowest level course on Coursera. This is really a disgrace for Wharton. Avoid at all cost.

By ANSHUL V

Jul 25, 2019

I paid 82 USD for this course, in that much price the content is very little, and boring, and i had learnt not much from this course.

By Moncef S

Jun 20, 2016

This course is not broad enough and does not cover many important aspects of corporate finance such as : cost of capital, risk management, corporate value creation...

By Danielle L

Jul 23, 2019

The course was very difficult and confusing for me. The material did not match the quizzes. To input answers was a little tricky at times. I know it is an intro course but the info was too vague. There were not many opportunities to practice examples and such before quizzes. You may like this course, but for me, it took forever it seems and I did not get much out of it. Problem sets were missing and such. It is a good thing there are other sites online with help available or I do not think I would have ever gotten through this.

By PRASATH J

Jul 20, 2019

Giving 1 rating for course materials. Lecturer was not focused/sincere and blabber most of the sessions. He just reads the slides most of the time. Needs lot of improvement

By Luis A

May 03, 2016

Dry, quizzes do not represent material

By Mario C

extremely hard to grasp and no ability to get support. I am forced to stop using this coarse and move on to another to prevent me from slowing down my progress.

By Adam C

May 16, 2017

It should be called intro to financial maths not corporate finance

By tom

May 25, 2016

Need upgrade to take the Quiz? Total Ridiculous!

By celine

Jul 21, 2019

excellent course. just wish the answers of the tests could be provided at some point and some new questions included with other figures as I found it difficult to understand my mistakes at first.

By Meet B S

3 stars just for the Instructor because he is very good and knows his ways around the topic and how to explain it. As for content, First and Second week went of good, but then in 3rd week many terms were skipped and went too fast especially the tablet case study. Again in 4th week More time should have been given to sensitivity analysis. As the topic says INTRODUCTION to Corporate Finance, it actually just touches the topics and leaves and no detailed learning is present. I hope more on sensitivity be added in the course.

By Shujie Z

May 14, 2020

Explanations are not good.

By ADRIAN C

Nov 29, 2015

Excellent as an introductory course on the way to another course with more depth. I did this as a preparation for my Executive MBA course which will cover pretty much the same topic, just more in depth. Despite its brevity, the key concepts are the important ones and this lecturer builds up the information in easy-to-grasp steps. Would love to see this course extended into a more full-fledged unit with more comprehensive quiz questions that would help the student grasp the concepts even more fully. Would highly recommend this course to anyone. As my first Coursera unit, I am uncertain about the value of electronic completion certificate, so I did not pay for it - but as a pure unit for learning, it is really top-class.

By Lily

Oct 22, 2016

By Karl

Jan 04, 2016

Having spent the most of my 20 year career full time in corporate finance i was pleasantly surprised to have new perspectives and takeaway points on key aspects on the subject. Highly recommended

By André S d A

Jun 15, 2020

O curso é objetivo, fornece toda a instrumentação matematica relacionada ao tema e contextualiza o aprendizado com exemplos simples, mas que podem ser aplicados na vida pessoal e profissional.

By Anuj J

Dec 11, 2015

Very nicely explains about the corporate finance terms...The way Prof. Roberts explains makes it so simple to understand!! I feel very satisfied to have taken this course!! All the best!!

By Samantha B

Jun 30, 2020

Overall I liked this course and thought the professor did a great job explaining things. I got a little lost on 3rd/4th week (felt like the pace changed quite a bit) but appreciated that the quizzes reflected the true basics of the content covered (no tricks that discouraged you!).

By Hannah S

May 09, 2020

Although I thoroughly enjoyed this course, there is a lot of content in here that is assumed knowledge (i.e. types of corporate finance) and a lot of the explanations in this are given in terms of the mathematical equation and not in terms of its general context. For example, I learnt a lot more researching NPV and IRR independently on Google than what I did in this course. This is not to say the course isn't good - it provides an apt outline of what corporate finance can involve, however I think it would be more beneficial if the course was spread out over more weeks and with more detail (you can tell this is a condensed version from the fact that some quiz sets are missing).

By Sharyn I

Oct 09, 2019

I thought the lecturer was very clear and concise and the presented content was useful and easy to digest. The problem sets provided great practice in applying the concepts. What's covered here is well worth learning. But I was disappointed to find that the course content was incomplete and did not cover many of the key concepts as outlined in the course description.

By Shashank R D

May 14, 2020

A bit short in my opinion but good depth, needs more practical excercise

By Jasper S

Sep 06, 2020

Pretty dry. Errors with Quiz for week 4.

By Лебедева Д Д

Sep 05, 2020

A lot of questions in the quizzes did not have correct answers, also it was difficult to work on my mistakes because there was no solutions or explanations provided if I marked an incorrect response in a quiz. This has made learning from mistakes an uneasy task.

By Sandra P

Mar 28, 2020

A really good course for non-financial background students. The contents are easy to understand. And what I like the most about the course is that the teacher gives a pretty good explanation of not only the conceptions of financial terms but also the situation to which these terms should be applied as well as the interpretation/conclusions we can draw from the numbers. These processes help me learn what should I do or think about for the next step based on the outcome.

It would be great if the course can be extended to a 5-to-6-week one that emcompasses more detailed information and more excercise. Look forward to other courses of corporate finance offered by Wharton.

P.S. The teacher is really cute and nice,hahahaha~

By Ishraf H

Jan 01, 2016

Very useful course, if you're interested in finance, modelling, decision making through NPV, IRR, Break Even Analysis, Elasticity, then this is the course to take. Prof. Roberts is very eloquent and drives home the key points very well.

You'll also be able to get an understanding of how financial analysts need to work with other business departments (marketing, operations, strategy team etc), in order to arrive at accurate project analysis and evaluation (including identifying key value drivers in any project).

I highly encourage anyone interested in finance to take this course from Wharton. Also, don't forget to tinker around with the provided spreadsheet - it will really hammer home many key financial concepts!