Back to Fundamentals of Quantitative Modeling

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Fundamentals of Quantitative Modeling by University of Pennsylvania

How can you put data to work for you? Specifically, how can numbers in a spreadsheet tell us about present and past business activities, and how can we use them to forecast the future? The answer is in building quantitative models, and this course is designed to help you understand the fundamentals of this critical, foundational, business skill. Through a series of short lectures, demonstrations, and assignments, you’ll learn the key ideas and process of quantitative modeling so that you can begin to create your own models for your own business or enterprise. By the end of this course, you will have seen a variety of practical commonly used quantitative models as well as the building blocks that will allow you to start structuring your own models. These building blocks will be put to use in the other courses in this Specialization....

AP

Jun 16, 2019

Very clear and articulate explanation of the concepts. He doesn't skip a step in the sequencing ideas, drawing comparisons and differences, and illustrating both visually and story-telling. Excellent.

NC

Jul 31, 2019

Very nice course for beginner, the mathematic level is not high (around french baccalaureat) so available to everyone. I enjoyed a lot this course that show how simple math can be used in real life.

776 - 800 of 852 Reviews for Fundamentals of Quantitative Modeling

By roshni r

Oct 27, 2017

The course was helpful to understand key statistical concepts but I hope it would have been worked on a little bit more to make it less boring. I do understand it's rather difficult to make quantitative courses interesting but this is just my feedback to the makers of the course so they can take it into account as and if they desire.

By Kaiquan M

Feb 12, 2016

This course was a good refresher of mathematical and statistical concepts. I found the mathematical and statistical concepts applied to modelling interesting. I never knew that what I learned in high school in the past can actually be used to come up with models to solve business problems. Some videos were a bit long though.

By Hanwen

Jan 26, 2020

I thought this course was going to talk more about quantitative investment model, there's going to be more finance knowledge, but it's totally mathematical models, and I had actually learnt these mathematical models in other courses. I don't think the name of the lecture and introduction perfactly matches the contentIs.

By Anna D

Feb 27, 2017

This is a quick run-through different types of distributions. I found it useful as a recap of things I learned in high school (!) and there were some additional insights. However, I think this course might be hard if you never did any more advanced (high school) math.

By Chetan D

Nov 25, 2019

Good Course but the lecturer misses a lot of details and assumes the target students understand most of the basic math such as logarithms. Without further researching those concepts, the equations are a bit difficult to understand and interpret in a practical way.

By Suraj V

Oct 16, 2016

I believe this was a very good course for beginners. However, from Wharton, I would have expected more realistic examples. I would have also liked some hands-on assignments. But, otherwise.. Great, great course from a beginners point-of-view! Thank you so much!

By Jose H

Nov 12, 2017

It would have been nice to have some of the back work for some of the numbers provided in the RMSE, or R squared numbers. To better understand how those were calculated... instead of just taking someone's word for it.

By Daniyal A

Aug 19, 2017

Very basic stuff, not sure if it really helped me learn new things, just a bunch of terminology. Very well explain, perhaps I didn't fit the target audience (then again I'm just a student right now).

By Stefan M

Mar 01, 2017

Course is helpful as a refresher to econ and business students who took some statistics in college. Someone who has never taken such courses will probably find this course much less helpful.

By Paolo X M M

Dec 16, 2019

A good course, but I had to use a lot of outside resources to wrap my head around the math. This course requires substantially more mathematical knowledge to move forward than it suggests.

By Nitay P H

Nov 30, 2017

the questions, even though the niveau is quite low but you don't really get any great insight and may be wrong if you didn't hear or read a word., Even though you've understood it.

By Luis M M d S

Apr 29, 2018

Useful Fundamentals, basic but helped to refresh college contents.

Coherent exams.

Could go deeper on the mathematical concepts and examples for better understanding.

By Alejandro E S R

Jan 15, 2020

More exercises after each concept, and more specifically non-similar to the example exercises might be very helpful in cementing the concept

By Guilherme R d O N

Oct 17, 2018

It could've gone deeper into the topic. Although it's called Fundamentals of quantitative modeling it don't got to be to basic.

By Jaison M W R

May 10, 2017

This Course is very good for beginners who have absolutely no knowledge of Modelling. For Professionals, it is not of much use.

By Loti K

Feb 26, 2017

I was expecting the course to provide insight on how to use spread sheet and its respective formulae in mathematical modelling.

By Ali A

May 11, 2017

Well put together, however, if you have had a reasonable high school math education, most of the content will be known to you.

By Chad F

Jul 24, 2017

It would have been much more helpful to have practice opportunities besides the exam and exampled. I wanted to try it myself!

By Frank

Mar 22, 2017

As a guy from Machine Learning field, its models and concepts are so easy and simple for me, so it's lack of challenge.

By Yoann D

Jan 28, 2019

More concrete exercises would have helped to anchor some principles. This was mostly a succession of videos and a quiz

By Yeo Z X

Oct 08, 2017

I felt that there were insufficient examples to help us gain a better understanding of the concepts being taught

By Prannoy K

Feb 16, 2016

Assignments should be evaluated for all users (unpaid ones as well) like it is done for other Wharton courses.

By Charles C W

May 10, 2018

Perhaps I was expecting too much given the reputation of the institution, but this is a course for beginners.

By Pedro B

Jun 17, 2017

Could come a bit deeper in more complex examples at the end of the course. Most of them were too simple.