Back to Fundamentals of Quantitative Modeling

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Fundamentals of Quantitative Modeling by University of Pennsylvania

How can you put data to work for you? Specifically, how can numbers in a spreadsheet tell us about present and past business activities, and how can we use them to forecast the future? The answer is in building quantitative models, and this course is designed to help you understand the fundamentals of this critical, foundational, business skill. Through a series of short lectures, demonstrations, and assignments, you’ll learn the key ideas and process of quantitative modeling so that you can begin to create your own models for your own business or enterprise. By the end of this course, you will have seen a variety of practical commonly used quantitative models as well as the building blocks that will allow you to start structuring your own models. These building blocks will be put to use in the other courses in this Specialization....

AP
Jun 15, 2019

Very clear and articulate explanation of the concepts. He doesn't skip a step in the sequencing ideas, drawing comparisons and differences, and illustrating both visually and story-telling. Excellent.

NC
Jul 30, 2019

Very nice course for beginner, the mathematic level is not high (around french baccalaureat) so available to everyone. I enjoyed a lot this course that show how simple math can be used in real life.

876 - 900 of 1,297 Reviews for Fundamentals of Quantitative Modeling

By Michail T

Oct 27, 2018

The content was very useful. The instructor is great and his presentations are very helpful. I rank this course with 4-stars because during the tests i couldn't see the explanations of my wrong answers. I have sent a ticket for an explanation but i haven't received an answer yet. Lastly, we haven't been tough how to transform back a log regression and i believe that you should add an extra presentation for math problems like this. Thank you for the knowledge, i am looking forward for the next course.

By AJIT S U

Apr 16, 2016

The course is informative and does its job of introducing the approach to modeling pretty nicely. It could be made more rigorous by going in-depth about probabilistic models, particularly the Monte Carlo simulations and the Markov models.

I would like to thank Prof. Richard Waterman and the Coursera team for making this course available. Prof. Waterman is precise and to the point. Those who find the video lectures to be slow paced (which includes me as well ) can watch it at 1.5-2X speed.

By Bogdan D

Mar 20, 2016

The instructor is very good at explaining a wide range of notions used in business modeling, statistics and probability theory. Would have liked to get a bit more in-depth insight into certain topics but this course is called "Fundamentals of Quantitative Modeling" and does very good what is supposed to do.

The reason I am not giving it a perfect score is because I felt like the assignments were too easy and the videos were a bit too long relative to the amount of information provided.

By Meg B

Mar 9, 2016

Course provides a sound foundation in quantitative modeling. Instructor is clear and provides real world examples. I like that I could download the course powerpoint which allowed me to take notes while watching the videos. I feel confident about proceeding to the next course and hopefully through the entire specialization. The only reason I didn't give the course 5 stars is because I think there could be better tie-in with the e-book. I found the e-book to be marginally helpful.

By Ismayil A

Oct 16, 2017

Good course content however the course doesn't go in to the depth that I was expecting. This is a survey course for people who want a very high level introduction into the subject. If you are expecting something closer to a graduate level course then this course is not for you. If you want to simply familiarize yourself with the fundamentals to then further understand your gaps and further opportunities to improve in a particular subject then this is a good course.

By Onyebuchi C

Nov 26, 2016

The is an excellent course. However, in the event someone takes the quiz and passes with only 1-3 questions incorrect, that the answers be displayed so that the student can rework the questions in their own time. Please note that the answers will only populate if the quiz is passed. That way those who fail will have to go back to their notes and review, without having the correct answers provided to them.

By Izan C S

Aug 20, 2018

Great course if you want to go deep into quantitive modeling. I personally would have appreciated more examples and more interactive exercises to fully understand how to put all the theory (which is a lot) in practice, making it useful for the real world and to solve business decisions. Overall is good, estimate to dedicate 50% more time of what the course last, at least that is my experience.

By Ben W

May 13, 2020

An interesting introduction into the quantitative modelling which served as a good platform for reviewing the basic modelling techniques widely employed. A grasp of applied mathematical concepts is valuable as the course does not go into depths on calculations however I expect those who continue on with the successive modules will have the chance to apply their knowledge to real life studies.

By Sada W

Jun 8, 2020

Course content is great, give a nice overview of the entire modeling process which I lacked in school. Only thing (quite annoying though) is the speaking style of the professor, just wasn't for me. Feels like I hurried to complete the course just to saving myself from that voice. Definitely recommend the course though, since the content is great and seems like a good specialization series.

By Abhilasha

Apr 3, 2020

actually, theres something i would like to ask

in the assignment part if you guys could provide the answer with solution later after clearing the test so that answers which are wrong or we couldn't do , we could get the concept and answer of it

also the assignment of module 3 and content doesnot match with each other

apart from the examples delivered no other examples of real life is clear

By royal j

Apr 15, 2017

This was a very informative course. I personally would have liked the course to be a bit more intensive on the math side, but I can understand that the entire target audience may not necessarily feel the same. I think that the course could have gone in depth for other kind of models such a monte carlo, markov chains, probability trees as well. Apart from that the course was quite good.

By J R R D

Mar 2, 2020

Very good course which provides of an overview of what fundamental of quantitative modeling is. The professor gives a practical examples in how to apply in real life the modeling. I think he is an excellent lecturer in this subject. I have seen these topics many years ago and now I have to review them and study to apply in my job and make my life easier and practical. Thanks!

By Ridhima J

May 23, 2020

Course is overall nice and is essential if you want to have a strong base in financial concepts but I think log - log model is a little advanced and difficult for beginner I mean the other concepts are been explained so well that a beginner can try hands on in modelling , but I want to say I m grateful that I attended this course because it had made my roots way strong.

By Matzen S

Jul 8, 2017

Helpful course in that it introduced the baseline topics in quantitative modeling. I would have liked to see two things improve, however. First, this course doesn't give any refresher or examples on how to calculate set up and calculate some of the models and summaries presented. Second, I would like more assignments rather than a simple multiple choice exam.

By Krystle J

Great course but the exams really need to have explanations for the answers to each question. Very frustrating to get things wrong and not know what the right answer is and why. Also, sometimes the exam marks you wrong when the answer is right! I had to email the actual professor of this course to confirm that an answer on the test was marked incorrectly.

By Bill L

Aug 27, 2017

The course was a good introductory course in quantitative modeling. I would have liked if the course required more problems to be done to gain some skills and a better and deeper understanding of the subject. I would say though that it was presented very clearly and was approachable, even for someone that hasn't taken calculus or statistics in 25 years.

By John M

Jun 15, 2020

The instructor presented the lessons well and explained the ideas and uses behind the models thoroughly, but it felt like this course brushed over some of the equations in the later modules without breaking them down enough for the novice. Without a background in Probability and Statistics, the math was doable, but difficult to grasp in a meaningful way.

By Pranav B

Apr 5, 2020

This is a very concise yet informative course. Ideal for people who can't dedicate a lot of time to learn about modeling, regression, etc and don't want to get into the rigorous mathematical aspects behind these concepts. Being an introductory course, this course satisfactorily provides a cursory glance at the content matter. All in all a Good course

By Hernando E

May 2, 2020

I was a bit apprehensive about this course, based primarily on its title.

The professor's lecturing style made learning very easy.

The quizzes achieved a near perfect balance between theory and equations.

The final module was rather complex and might have benefited from a little bit more explanation.

Overall an excellent course

By Rohit K

Jul 7, 2020

the course is well designed , from basic to a higher level and. Even though I knew the math functions , I learnt how useful and suitable in financial world.

Only suggestion: add more examples so that attempting the assignments becomes even better. examples are appreciated in pdf form if not included in the lecture videos.

By Teresa L

Sep 22, 2020

This course gives a good overview of different models and when you'd use them. It's pretty basic so if you've ever done economics or finance before, you'll find this repetitive. That being said, I found it to be a decent refresher course. The instructor is a bit dry, but it's rare to find a finance professor who's not.

By Jorge A

Apr 19, 2020

It is a useful course to help orient and introduce statistical concepts and refresh the toolkits priorly received on college or university studies, however, it should include material for refreshing calculus and other required techniques that are used in this topics to complement the reading/practice part of the week.

By Rahul R

Jun 11, 2017

Very useful course from a fundamental perspective. It really teaches you the base of all the models and why and how they're formed. It could have been even better if some problems would have been given for practice as after a certain period of time it becomes difficult to recollect the formulas and their applications.

By Ian L

Apr 1, 2020

Good course. The professor provided some good explanations and insight. However, I believe it could use a couple more walk-through's of the example problems along with more chances to practice. I think it should also show/explain incorrect answers after quizzes as to deepen the understanding of the person testing.

By William H

Sep 15, 2016

The instructor is exceptional at taking complex concepts and using examples to make them understandable. There is a lot of information so reviewing the videos within the different modules may be necessary. You will get a lot of good information and understand how to practically apply it. Very useful.