Back to Write A Feature Length Screenplay For Film Or Television

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Write A Feature Length Screenplay For Film Or Television by Michigan State University

Write a Full Length Feature Film Script In this course, you will write a complete, feature-length screenplay for film or television, be it a serious drama or romantic comedy or anything in between. You’ll learn to break down the creative process into components, and you’ll discover a structured process that allows you to produce a polished and pitch-ready script by the end of the course. Completing this project will increase your confidence in your ideas and abilities, and you’ll feel prepared to pitch your first script and get started on your next. This is a course designed to tap into your creativity and is based in "Active Learning". Most of the actual learning takes place within your own activities - that is, writing! You will learn by doing. Here is a link to a TRAILER for the course. To view the trailer, please copy and paste the link into your browser. https://vimeo.com/382067900/b78b800dc0 Learner review: "Love the approach Professor Wheeler takes towards this course. It's to the point, easy to follow, and very informative! Would definitely recommend it to anyone who is interested in taking a Screenplay Writing course! The course curriculum is simple: We will adopt a professional writers room process in which you’ll write, post your work for peer review, share feedback with your peers and revise your work with the feedback you receive from your peers. That's how we do it in the real world. You will feel as if you were in a professional writers room yet no prior experience as a writer is required. I'm a proponent of Experiential Learning (Active Learning). My lectures are short (sometimes just two minutes long) and to the point, designed in a step-by-step process essential to your success as a script writer. I will guide you but I won’t "show" you how to write. I firmly believe that the only way to become a writer is to write, write, write. Learner Review: "I would like to thank this course instructor. It's an amazing course" What you’ll need to get started: As mentioned above, no prior script writing experience is required. To begin with, any basic word processor will do. During week two, you can choose to download some free scriptwriting software such as Celtx or Trelby or you may choose to purchase Final Draft, the industry standard, or you can continue to use your word processor and do your own script formatting. Learner Review: "Now I am a writer!" If you have any concerns regarding the protection of your original work, Coursera's privacy policy protects the learner's IP and you are indeed the sole owners of your work....

MM
Oct 30, 2020

This course, its instructor and many peers keep you motivated to write with joy, meaning and structure, especially in these uniquely turbulent times of socio-political flux with a pandemic on top.

DM
Jun 23, 2020

Great course well recommended i did the Transmedia writing course before taking Write A Feature Length Screenplay For Film Or Television and have enjoyed them both

1 - 25 of 36 Reviews for Write A Feature Length Screenplay For Film Or Television

By Gus H

Aug 6, 2020

I enjoyed this course. I've always struggled to actually sit down, make time for myself, and use that time to productively write. This course gives its students an easy, and easily-replicated, schedule/formula to follow in order to actually create a feature-length screenplay. I have now written a feature-length script, something I had always wanted to do but had never actually done, and this course was the impetus for doing that. I will say, given how much importance the course places on collaboration, the effort some of my peers put in to the course was at times frustrating. An important part of the course is reviewing the work of your peers and receiving feedback from them on your own work. I frequently received feedback on large chunks of my screenplay that was literally one word: "good," "nice." It was incredibly frustrating, especially since the aim of the course should be to provide you with as much experience writing and reviewing screenplays as possible, rather than accumulating a grade value (honestly, your grade in this course does not affect any sort of grade point average, it does not count towards a degree, if you half-ass your way through this course, it negatively affects both you and your peers who are putting more into it and hoping to get more out of it). Additionally, it would be helpful to learn about screenplay formatting before going into this course. The instructor doesn't spend much time explaining the intricacies of the format, which makes it a little harder to adequately begin writing and reviewing a screenplay.

By Kannan V

Jun 6, 2020

David,

Thank you so much!

But for your guidance, I wouldn’t feel as happy as I feel today. The way you taught to break down the components of my own writing will definitely help me in whatever I write from now on. I’m gonna’ recommend my friends who are aspiring to take screen writing as their career to take your course.

I don’t know how I’ve fared as a screenwriter as this is my maiden attempt. But I’m sure I’ve learnt the basic grammar of Screenwriting through a well structured course and from a fantastic Master.

Thank you David, my Master!

By Faridul A S

Apr 22, 2020

At first, I would like to thank this course instructor. It's an amazing course I have ever completed. Yep, this course surely helps me in the near future when I will scripting my own fiction feature film. Now I know which areas should be focused while scripting. Of course, regular writing is necessary to improve my scriptwriting skills.

By Brigit C

Love the approach Wheeler takes towards this course. It's to the point, easy to follow, and very informative! Overall, would definitely recommend it to anyone who is interested in taking a Screenplay Writing course!

By David M

Jun 24, 2020

By Prachi G

Jul 13, 2020

A wonderful and must course for every writer who wishes to write for television.

By Shaunda

Jun 21, 2020

Love it... This is my second time taking his course. I look forward to the next.

By Kamil S M T

Jul 2, 2020

Writing is discipline, this is what you'll learn in this amazing course.

By Mancilio

Jun 28, 2020

Very helpful and the feed back from ones peers is fantastic.

By sivasai b

May 8, 2020

perfect

By John J M

Nov 3, 2020

I'd gladly give this course 3 stars, or 4, but the fact that there is zero contact with a proffesor, prevents that. This course helped me a LOT. I recomend it to anyone who needs help with structure, and motivation. But the peer review is not a great format. I only wish ONE time I got feedback from the teacher. Even One single time.

Nov 12, 2020

this course will not let me advance to the first real lecture unless I join a group of 5 other students and do peer-review with them. I don't want to do that. I just enrolled yesterday, but the course won't let me unenroll, as the unenroll button does nothing. There is no live support available, and there is no way to submit a support request.

This is my first time trying to use Coursera, and I think I would be better off deleting my account, if that's even possible.

By Vianne

Oct 8, 2020

I am trying to unenrol from the class, and it won't let me. I don't find all these peer review elements useful, and they are just a big time issue. How do I unenrol and also delete my screenplay pitch? I liked the instructor in the video, but it just seems like it's not enough of him, and too much simplistic reviews from inexperienced students.

By Sahara Z F

Aug 16, 2020

I am very happy that I finally wrote an entire feature-length script! I've written scripts before but they had been for short films and I genuinely feel like the script I've written with the help of this class has helped me become a better writer and also inspired me to write even more! If you are interested in film making or screenwriting I definitely recommend this course!

By Jaime C

Sep 21, 2020

I had a lot of fun doing the class online. I had ample time to complete the course; the materials were very helpful and useful. I look forward to doing another course, similar to this one. I feel like I learned and took a lot from this class, and thanks for the opportunity.

By Maria J d C M

Oct 30, 2020

By Colin H

Sep 26, 2020

A great course to provide the tools and techniques to help you write a screenplay. I will use them again. And hopefully again and again. You should try it too!

By Chantel B

Nov 23, 2020

The best weekly guidance for new writers and even experienced writers. Peer reviews also help you self analyse which is great!

By Kiranmayi M

Sep 1, 2020

Really helpful ... Learnt tips and tricks worth a lifetime for a writer

By DHARAMDEEP R

Aug 22, 2020

Great Interactive and Very Knowledgeable Wonderful

By 19BCC037-GAUTHAMAN S B C

Oct 6, 2020

Thanks for all of your support!

By VISWANATHAN R