Back to Writing for Young Readers: Opening the Treasure Chest

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Writing for Young Readers: Opening the Treasure Chest by Commonwealth Education Trust

This course is for curious students and aspiring authors with a passion for writing for young readers. Participate in a dynamic online community of writers as you experiment with your own writing and develop your voice. This course will guide you with a combination of video lectures, online readings, peer reviews, and guest appearances from world-renowned children’s authors. As you work through the writing exercises, you will give and receive feedback from your peers and gain tools and techniques for improving your writing. During this course you will identify stories that matter to you, explore cultural significance and boundaries, and shape your identity as a writer; become familiar with standard elements of narrative (character, setting, plot, theme, language, dialogue, point of view); reflect on your own work and practice essential self-editing skills; see the different ways in which words and art interact, and the possibilities of longer narrative forms; come away with practical insights into publishing options; and create a plan for pursuing your enthusiasm for writing. By the end of the course, you will have ten to twelve extracts of writing that you can develop into a portfolio. Join a dynamic community of many voices from around the world. Find inspiration in your own voice, heart, and place so that you can tell the stories for young readers you’ve always wanted to tell....

DB
Feb 6, 2016

I am a beginner wantabee author and publisher, first steps are elementary, as I need. Self paced, life can get in the way. Instructors are wonderful, as are the guest speakers and interviewees Thanks.

FO
Jul 16, 2017

This course introduces writing in an easy to understand way. The interviews with published authors are very insightful as well. The exercises are a great avenue to practice what the Mooc instruct

76 - 100 of 446 Reviews for Writing for Young Readers: Opening the Treasure Chest

By Barbara G

Dec 31, 2015

This course has helped me to really tap into my creative side. Granted it is a course for learning to write for young readers, you can also learn how to write for an older audience as well. Thank you for offering this course.

By Tessa D V

Apr 6, 2018

I absolutely love this course. It's something light that doesn't require too much work, but still helps you work on your writing. It challenges you just enough to unlock new ideas but nut so much that you get stuck again.

By Saumya V

Jan 24, 2016

I love this course and the tips they provide are tremendously helpful while writing some extract or just some writing work. Thank you :)

It's actually fun to be part of this course. I will continue the course till end.

By Angel R

Oct 13, 2016

Me gusto el curso, me brindo herramientas útiles para estructurar las ideas para escribir historias y llevarlas de distintas maneras al papel, por así decirlo. Disfrute no sólo el curso, también las tareas por hacer.

By Melinda M D

Nov 5, 2015

This course is jam packed full of helpful information. I like how the instructor sits and looks at us (the leaner) and talks. It helps feeling relaxed while learning. I feel I have learned more with this method.

By Tony H

Jan 2, 2017

A really enjoyable course that was helpful and enlightening. It got my creative juices flowing and gave me some tips and tools to help me along the way. Recommended to anyone interested in writing anything.

By Gitanjali V

Oct 12, 2018

Really appreciate the interviews with so many authors. Very inspiring and thanks for the trouble! Also that last assignment of writing to a publisher makes it all so (scary) real - and - so - possible....

By Dorothy B

Feb 7, 2016

By Rogerio C

Aug 24, 2015

Very helpful, this course show me that I'm not alone in this path. There are many people with same difficulties and devotion to make their ideas to come in to a fabulous books. thank you for this tool

By Liliane M

May 20, 2018

I really enjoyed this course, though I never imagined myself as a writer of childrens fiction, it may very well look like, that my first book, might be exactly that.

Thank you to the great teachers.

By Sarah E

Aug 10, 2015

It definitely inspired my writing, as well as improved my techniques. The many interviews with other authors gave someone another view on how to write, transform and present one's own work.

By JILL V H

Feb 8, 2021

It was an excellent course! Wonderful presenters and I loved the interviews with authors. I can definitely recommend it to others. I enjoyed every module and all the activities.

By Yolanda F B

Nov 30, 2020

The information from instructors and authors are insightful, encouraging, and honest. Thank you for taking the time to teach/share your wisdom for this course! I highly recommend it.

By Titus K

Apr 21, 2020

i enjoyed this course, i have never written and subbmitted something before, and i found it to be exiting, this course has also helped me greatly with many of my writing projects.

By Priscilla T

Nov 23, 2015

Excellent. Thanks to the professors' guidance, I wrote a children's picture book and have submitted my manuscript to a local publisher. Cross my fingers and toes for good measure!

By Danielle C

Feb 3, 2020

The course is taught quite well; the assignments are fun and not too daunting or difficult. I especially benefited from the editing, proofreading, and publishing lesson modules.

By Taylor M S

Jul 29, 2019

I've only done the first week of this course, but I've already learned so much. It is such a great course and the workload is very light. I highly recommend taking this course.

By Heena J

Jun 25, 2016

Learning never should be assumed by the source. Online sources too can outshine other platforms. This course is doing wonders to me and is definitely making me a better writer.

By Ciera M

Aug 19, 2015

I really enjoyed this course! It has a very fun approach to writing for beginners, as well as having some interesting insights (I think) for those who are already experienced.

By Karoline v d B

Mar 22, 2016

Great course to actually get started writing, instead of just having the idea! I got some great tips and a bunch of first drafts that I'll come back to. Thank you so much!

By Gil J

Sep 21, 2015

Excellent. Encouraging and informative. Interviews perhaps a little too long, could be edited down 25%, but not a big deal. Read some great stories as part of peer review.

By Miriam U

Feb 21, 2021

Excellent and informative course. Apart from the great information and breakdown of the writing/creative process, the interviews of other writers/authors were fantastic.

By Sergio A L

May 27, 2016

what I loved better was the possibility of rescheduling the deadlines :-) I work in the peruvian rainforest and sometimes there is no access to internet for a good while

By Daffodil d J

Sep 1, 2020

This was an excellent course. I found David Hill's lessons fun and entertaining, and I eagerly looked forward to my peer reviews and reading other people's submissions.

By Precious M

May 4, 2020

This was one of the most interesting course's I have ever taken. I have learnt a lot about writing for children and i'm most likely to write a book about children soon.