Back to Writing for Young Readers: Opening the Treasure Chest

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Writing for Young Readers: Opening the Treasure Chest by Commonwealth Education Trust

This course is for curious students and aspiring authors with a passion for writing for young readers. Participate in a dynamic online community of writers as you experiment with your own writing and develop your voice. This course will guide you with a combination of video lectures, online readings, peer reviews, and guest appearances from world-renowned children’s authors. As you work through the writing exercises, you will give and receive feedback from your peers and gain tools and techniques for improving your writing. During this course you will identify stories that matter to you, explore cultural significance and boundaries, and shape your identity as a writer; become familiar with standard elements of narrative (character, setting, plot, theme, language, dialogue, point of view); reflect on your own work and practice essential self-editing skills; see the different ways in which words and art interact, and the possibilities of longer narrative forms; come away with practical insights into publishing options; and create a plan for pursuing your enthusiasm for writing. By the end of the course, you will have ten to twelve extracts of writing that you can develop into a portfolio. Join a dynamic community of many voices from around the world. Find inspiration in your own voice, heart, and place so that you can tell the stories for young readers you’ve always wanted to tell....

DB
Feb 6, 2016

I am a beginner wantabee author and publisher, first steps are elementary, as I need. Self paced, life can get in the way. Instructors are wonderful, as are the guest speakers and interviewees Thanks.

FO
Jul 16, 2017

This course introduces writing in an easy to understand way. The interviews with published authors are very insightful as well. The exercises are a great avenue to practice what the Mooc instruct

76 - 100 of 468 Reviews for Writing for Young Readers: Opening the Treasure Chest

By Yazhou L

Aug 15, 2015

Very nice course! It makes me finally start writing things instead of reading books about how to do the writing. And it is definately a great course with so many writers' interview and techniques. Reading other's assignments is also great.

By Racha Z

Sep 1, 2015

Learnt a lot, lessons are on video and are extremely articulate so did not miss a word. Teachers are knowledgeable and down to the most important details, hence, the course is not too long, and doesn't take forever to complete. Amazing!

By Zandrew S

Feb 27, 2016

I'm not far into this course, but I believe it will be a great asset to any fledgling writers who want to write for children, or for more experienced writers who want to observe their craft under a new light. Very engaging and helpful.

By Margaryta L

May 4, 2021

The most exciting and stylish journey Great online course "Writhing for Young Readers: Opening the Treasure Chest!

Ilike it Thanks to the team digital course platform Coursera, teachers and organizers

Best regards - Lapina Margarita

By Jennifer A O

Sep 8, 2015

Seemingly straightforward, but packed with information. Sometimes it takes two listens to the videos to realize how much is being taught. Valuable information that moved me forward on my quest to be a published children's author.

By Sylvia M

Sep 2, 2017

I found the course very interesting and received some great information to use in my writing. The instructor was very good and the course was easy to follow and very enjoyable. Will certainly keep my eyes open for similar course

By uma m

Jun 12, 2020

I thoroughly enjoyed the course and it has instilled a sense of confidence in me as an aspiring writer .It has helped me learn the ropes and motivated me to write for young readers .Heartfelt thanks to the faculty and the team!

By Sue N

Oct 10, 2016

Very good course which I'd highly recommend to writer beginners and those, like myself, who need to brush up and learn a few more techniques. All the lessons were very useful and the assignments were challenging and interesting

By angelita v

Aug 23, 2017

I learned a lot from this course. Instructors are very well knowledgeable and experienced. I feel so welcomed and appreciated joining this course. Thank you so much to all who made this course available!

Bests,

Angelita Valencia

By Barbara G

Dec 31, 2015

This course has helped me to really tap into my creative side. Granted it is a course for learning to write for young readers, you can also learn how to write for an older audience as well. Thank you for offering this course.

By Tessa D V

Apr 6, 2018

I absolutely love this course. It's something light that doesn't require too much work, but still helps you work on your writing. It challenges you just enough to unlock new ideas but nut so much that you get stuck again.

By Saumya V

Jan 24, 2016

I love this course and the tips they provide are tremendously helpful while writing some extract or just some writing work. Thank you :)

It's actually fun to be part of this course. I will continue the course till end.

By Angel R

Oct 13, 2016

Me gusto el curso, me brindo herramientas útiles para estructurar las ideas para escribir historias y llevarlas de distintas maneras al papel, por así decirlo. Disfrute no sólo el curso, también las tareas por hacer.

By Melinda M D

Nov 5, 2015

This course is jam packed full of helpful information. I like how the instructor sits and looks at us (the leaner) and talks. It helps feeling relaxed while learning. I feel I have learned more with this method.

By Tony H

Jan 2, 2017

A really enjoyable course that was helpful and enlightening. It got my creative juices flowing and gave me some tips and tools to help me along the way. Recommended to anyone interested in writing anything.

By Gitanjali V

Oct 12, 2018

Really appreciate the interviews with so many authors. Very inspiring and thanks for the trouble! Also that last assignment of writing to a publisher makes it all so (scary) real - and - so - possible....

By Dorothy B

Feb 7, 2016

By Rogerio C

Aug 24, 2015

Very helpful, this course show me that I'm not alone in this path. There are many people with same difficulties and devotion to make their ideas to come in to a fabulous books. thank you for this tool

By Liliane M

May 20, 2018

I really enjoyed this course, though I never imagined myself as a writer of childrens fiction, it may very well look like, that my first book, might be exactly that.

Thank you to the great teachers.

By Sarah E

Aug 10, 2015

It definitely inspired my writing, as well as improved my techniques. The many interviews with other authors gave someone another view on how to write, transform and present one's own work.

By BASILIO C

Sep 5, 2021

I loved every single minute of this course. I hope it will continue to help aspiring writers, just as myself, educate themselves in every aspect needed to bring their writing to life.

By Yolanda F B

Nov 30, 2020

The information from instructors and authors are insightful, encouraging, and honest. Thank you for taking the time to teach/share your wisdom for this course! I highly recommend it.

By Titus K

Apr 21, 2020

i enjoyed this course, i have never written and subbmitted something before, and i found it to be exiting, this course has also helped me greatly with many of my writing projects.

By Priscilla T

Nov 23, 2015

Excellent. Thanks to the professors' guidance, I wrote a children's picture book and have submitted my manuscript to a local publisher. Cross my fingers and toes for good measure!

By Tom P

Mar 14, 2021

Thanks you! I’ve learned a lot! Even if some of the information about the publishers is gotten old, there is a lot of truly helpful knowledge for writers who want to get startet.