Back to Writing for Young Readers: Opening the Treasure Chest

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Writing for Young Readers: Opening the Treasure Chest by Commonwealth Education Trust

This course is for curious students and aspiring authors with a passion for writing for young readers. Participate in a dynamic online community of writers as you experiment with your own writing and develop your voice. This course will guide you with a combination of video lectures, online readings, peer reviews, and guest appearances from world-renowned children’s authors. As you work through the writing exercises, you will give and receive feedback from your peers and gain tools and techniques for improving your writing. During this course you will identify stories that matter to you, explore cultural significance and boundaries, and shape your identity as a writer; become familiar with standard elements of narrative (character, setting, plot, theme, language, dialogue, point of view); reflect on your own work and practice essential self-editing skills; see the different ways in which words and art interact, and the possibilities of longer narrative forms; come away with practical insights into publishing options; and create a plan for pursuing your enthusiasm for writing. By the end of the course, you will have ten to twelve extracts of writing that you can develop into a portfolio. Join a dynamic community of many voices from around the world. Find inspiration in your own voice, heart, and place so that you can tell the stories for young readers you’ve always wanted to tell....

DB
Feb 6, 2016

I am a beginner wantabee author and publisher, first steps are elementary, as I need. Self paced, life can get in the way. Instructors are wonderful, as are the guest speakers and interviewees Thanks.

FO
Jul 16, 2017

This course introduces writing in an easy to understand way. The interviews with published authors are very insightful as well. The exercises are a great avenue to practice what the Mooc instruct

126 - 150 of 446 Reviews for Writing for Young Readers: Opening the Treasure Chest

By Richard N

Oct 6, 2020

Great course covering a lot of ground in just five weeks. The assignments were perfect in length and to help focus on our writing process.

By Mona G

Jul 21, 2020

This was a great course, I really enjoyed it! Assignments were just enough to get the juices flowing. I came up with two new story ideas!

By Pati V

Oct 5, 2020

It was a pleasure to take this course! I love writing and it will be very helpful in my next steps as a children's writer.

-Patricia V.

By Vidisha M

Aug 5, 2020

I totally loved this course. It is my first course in creative writing and I loved it. Just what I was looking for. Highly recommended

By William L

Aug 4, 2020

Really helpful and straightforward. It provided a lot of practical ideas, tips and materials to get you started. Highly recommended.

By Purnima L

Jan 28, 2018

Very salient points presented throughtout. Clear and concise advice. Liked the instructors and very helpful author video interviews.

By Christine C

Jul 20, 2016

Writing for Young Readers course was very interesting and packed with great brainstorming topics to launch your writing assignments.

By Adeline W

Dec 9, 2020

It was great! As a young writer this is a good course for not knowing where to start. Peers are very sweet and give GREAT feedback.

By Julie B

Feb 22, 2016

I have learned so much from this course. Anyone that wants to write for young readers would do well to take this course. Thank you.

By Milka R M

Feb 5, 2018

I am glad a took this course. This gives me the right tools, step by step to develop in the art of writing. Wonderful course! =)

By Frederick H

Jan 24, 2016

Very good course. Many valuable information and advice about writing in general not just aimed at young readers. Would recommand.

By Anthony K

Sep 8, 2015

A very well structured and engaging course which provides thoughtful suggestions for being a successful writer for young readers.

By Owen S

Aug 29, 2015

As a writer, this is a much needed course if you want to better yourself and learn the ropes on how to make a living as a writer.

By Teresa F

Dec 5, 2019

I really loved this course. The assignments had helped a lot with improving my writing skills when it comes to fiction writing.

By Iván R A

Aug 23, 2020

I really liked this course, specially getting to know other people´s points of view and experiences. Thank you for your time.

By Sintija V

Jul 9, 2017

Really great course with highly valuable practice opportunities! I really enjoyed doing all the tasks! Thank you very much! :)

By Daniel A A V

Nov 27, 2016

Un curso muy provechoso y ameno. Aunque, me gustaría que incluyeran más entrevistas o material propio de autores más clásicos.

By Hend H

Sep 22, 2020

This course has been an inspiration to me. It helped unravel an inner skill that I needed to explore; a passion for writing!

By María T F

Jul 13, 2017

Thank you so much for this wonderful course!!! It was a wonderful experience! The teachers and the writers are incredible!!!

By Gabriel P

Nov 11, 2015

Excellent course if you are a writer and don't know where to start and how to go on! Not only for young readers, in general!

By María F C F

Sep 8, 2020

it was a nice course a enjoyed a lot, and also I can learn is important in my process professional

Thank great experience.

By ANDROID W E

Feb 19, 2021

Really helpful and amazing course. Everything has been explained in a proper manner. Thank You for this beautiful course.

By Kristina Z

Jul 31, 2020

great course! learnt so much! David is brilliant and loved hearing from different writers from around the world thank you

By Gretel

Jan 2, 2018

me sirvió de mucho ahora solo me gustaría poder mantener contacto con los diversos escritores, en serio amé el curso

By Alexandria S

Oct 9, 2015

The instructors are such good examples of kindness. I like the gentle and effective course. I plan to take it again!