Back to Writing for Young Readers: Opening the Treasure Chest

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Writing for Young Readers: Opening the Treasure Chest by Commonwealth Education Trust

This course is for curious students and aspiring authors with a passion for writing for young readers. Participate in a dynamic online community of writers as you experiment with your own writing and develop your voice. This course will guide you with a combination of video lectures, online readings, peer reviews, and guest appearances from world-renowned children’s authors. As you work through the writing exercises, you will give and receive feedback from your peers and gain tools and techniques for improving your writing. During this course you will identify stories that matter to you, explore cultural significance and boundaries, and shape your identity as a writer; become familiar with standard elements of narrative (character, setting, plot, theme, language, dialogue, point of view); reflect on your own work and practice essential self-editing skills; see the different ways in which words and art interact, and the possibilities of longer narrative forms; come away with practical insights into publishing options; and create a plan for pursuing your enthusiasm for writing. By the end of the course, you will have ten to twelve extracts of writing that you can develop into a portfolio. Join a dynamic community of many voices from around the world. Find inspiration in your own voice, heart, and place so that you can tell the stories for young readers you’ve always wanted to tell....

DB
Feb 6, 2016

I am a beginner wantabee author and publisher, first steps are elementary, as I need. Self paced, life can get in the way. Instructors are wonderful, as are the guest speakers and interviewees Thanks.

FO
Jul 16, 2017

This course introduces writing in an easy to understand way. The interviews with published authors are very insightful as well. The exercises are a great avenue to practice what the Mooc instruct

201 - 225 of 446 Reviews for Writing for Young Readers: Opening the Treasure Chest

By Candace B

Feb 25, 2017

This was a great class! I learned a lot and had a wonderful time with the course.

By Ana G

Sep 27, 2016

Este curso me ha parecido conciso, interesante y práctico. Muy bien estructurado.

By Veeraj G M

A wonderful, detailed course. Helps you on the journey in a step by step manner.

By ANKUR C

It has been a wonderful experience learning about creative writing from coursera

By Enid R

Jun 13, 2017

It's a great course and it has all of what you need to know for writing an book.

By Amy G

Sep 1, 2015

Provides excellent information and encourages new writers to pursue their goals.

By Andika P

Sep 26, 2015

The first Coursera course that makes me want to be a better parent for my son!

By Reyna R

Jul 13, 2016

Very useful. Nicely put together. Lots of information. Explained very simply.

Oct 11, 2015

Love it!! It gives you the opportunity to explore your short story writing :)

By rai_dahh

Oct 8, 2019

It was really helpful and interesting course. It helped me to start writing.

By Bollamma C K

Aug 26, 2015

A well designed course. I am learning a lot and improving my writing skills.

By Neelima M

Oct 23, 2020

I loved the way the instructor explained everything in a very simple manner

By Hawra

Sep 7, 2017

Amazing course, gave me practical tips on how to get going and keep going:)

By Natalia R R

Feb 5, 2018

Thank you, it was really useful to improve my writing skills in English <3

By Kathlyn T

Apr 28, 2017

Fantastic practice for creative writing. Informative and fun. I recommend!

By Chew W Y

May 9, 2016

Great course for beginners, simple and encouraging. I highly recommend it!

By Madeline B

Jan 7, 2016

Well paced. Assignments are very doable and the lectures are well focused.

By Raji P

Jan 6, 2016

I enjoyed the course. The videos are simply super. Inspired me so much :)

By Joyce C

I will recommend this course to anyone who wishes to write for children.

By Rebecca M

Mar 7, 2017

I loved the experience ,This platform is great is a great place to study

By Swathy

Aug 14, 2015

This is just what I looking for. It is very insightful and encouraging.

By Fahmida A

Aug 8, 2020

A well crafted course with interesting, useful and enjoyable contents.

By Debjani S

Jul 18, 2020

Extremely well designed and helpful. Thank you so much. I am indebted.

By Ghania M

Dec 28, 2018

Thank you very much for the great course. I've learnt a lot of stuff

By TEESTA

Sep 20, 2015

this is the most awesome writing course i have taken .... its fun...