Back to The Science of Training Young Athletes

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Science of Training Young Athletes by University of Florida

Seventy percent of kids drop out of sports before their high school graduation. Only 15% leave because they feel they are not good enough. Almost 70% leave because they were not having fun, or due to problems with the coach. Injuries cause 30% to give up sports. This course is packed full of practical sports science information that provide youth coaches and parents with the practical pediatric sports science insights to successfully retain young athletes and develop their sport potential while avoiding injury and overtraining. We begin by examining the multidimensional nature of coaching, the relevant sport motor performance abilities, the impact of growth and development on motor skills, the gene versus practice controversy, and briefly overview the body structures strengthened through training. Then we explore the athlete's energy supply, where this energy comes from, and how it matures along with the athlete. Finally, we examine the development of strength, power, anaerobic capacity, coordination and flexibility through the life span. The optional text manual for this course is available at: http://www.learnitez.com/HighPerformanceScience/manuals/...

BD
May 27, 2017

Great base to build on. Filled in my gaps with regards to physical/physiological development of young athletes. For me it is a great addition to the English FA Level 1 and 2 football coaching course.

R
Dec 7, 2020

This course was very helpful in how we can train our athletes and the factors that may hinder their performances especially when they transition from pre-teenage years to post-teenage years.

151 - 175 of 185 Reviews for The Science of Training Young Athletes

Feb 27, 2018

great

By MANJUNATHA K N

Jul 23, 2020

good

By Stephanie D P

Dec 27, 2019

nice

By Judy O

Aug 15, 2020

This was a good course very much emphasizing the science of how the maturing body functions in athletics. It had a lot of good information and the instructor was quite willing to say that the answers to some questions just haven't been found yet. I feel like I have a much better understanding of what my students are going through physically as they grow and try to learn sports skills.

The course unfortunately (to me) did not discuss practical applications much at all. We were pretty much left to try to figure out our own ways to adjust our coaching based on the science, but without knowing appropriate drills to develop these things, it left us knowing what we'd like to accomplish but not knowing how to do it - goals without plans. I'd love to see a follow up course on application of the science, and another one on sports psychology!

By Emil H N

Jun 5, 2020

Great course for coaches which feel a little lost with young athletes. Topics about what affects young athletes bodies and life in general are introduced. The laungauge is quite because of the use technical terms. If you're well-known with growth, maturation, puberty, muscular terms etc then there'll not be a lot of new stuff learned for you.

By Edda F

Feb 8, 2021

Interesting course, however, it is an introduction and therefore very simple in its tasks and insights given. I enjoyed it though. It gives a coach a new perspective in some parts and can be the first step to many more courses.

By Ignacio R H

Aug 4, 2020

Muy bien explicado, conceptos claros para el el entrenamiento con jóvenes.Quizás tiene mucha parte de fisiología general, que debería darse por conocida por aquellos que hacen el curso.

By KHALID A A

Sep 20, 2020

One of the best courses I attended, which helped me to gain new scientific information on coaching young athletes. Regards to the instructor and her guests.

Khalid