Back to The Science of Training Young Athletes

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Science of Training Young Athletes by University of Florida

Seventy percent of kids drop out of sports before their high school graduation. Only 15% leave because they feel they are not good enough. Almost 70% leave because they were not having fun, or due to problems with the coach. Injuries cause 30% to give up sports. This course is packed full of practical sports science information that provide youth coaches and parents with the practical pediatric sports science insights to successfully retain young athletes and develop their sport potential while avoiding injury and overtraining. We begin by examining the multidimensional nature of coaching, the relevant sport motor performance abilities, the impact of growth and development on motor skills, the gene versus practice controversy, and briefly overview the body structures strengthened through training. Then we explore the athlete's energy supply, where this energy comes from, and how it matures along with the athlete. Finally, we examine the development of strength, power, anaerobic capacity, coordination and flexibility through the life span. The optional text manual for this course is available at: http://www.learnitez.com/HighPerformanceScience/manuals/...

BD
May 27, 2017

Great base to build on. Filled in my gaps with regards to physical/physiological development of young athletes. For me it is a great addition to the English FA Level 1 and 2 football coaching course.

PP
Apr 30, 2020

The course was explained comprehensively.. thank you so much for making this course, I have learned a lot. I can surely use this knowledge in my class as Physical Education teacher

26 - 50 of 166 Reviews for The Science of Training Young Athletes

By kevin p g n

Mar 10, 2020

de verdad a mi pareces esta muy completo el curso, abarco muchos de los aspectos que los entrenadores debemos conocer en nuestro día a día, muchas gracias por dictar este tipo de cursos, aveces es difícil que esta información llegue a ciertos países.

By Joy A R

Jun 24, 2017

Great course. Dr. Brooks has covered the young athlete's physical, mental and emotional development in great detail and the course provides really good reference material to design and deliver the right coaching methods targeted toward the children.

By Tania M

Sep 15, 2020

The insights for course are incredible, highly recommended. The outcome is a great understanding of how young athletes develop, it will save you frustrations because you will have the facts. Thanks Dr. Chris Brooks and University of Florida.

By Dionifel V D G

May 23, 2020

Excellent course! So many things you can learn. Even if you've already studied this in the university, it's still such good resource for additional and practical information. Syllabus is easy to follow. Contents are really educational.

By Erez G

Aug 1, 2019

Well done built. brought by a very professional way.

It was very clear. the subtitles were important in the beginning until I could understand or get used to the Australian accent. Looking forward to complete the advanced course.

By Vitor P d B

Apr 10, 2020

The course is very good and Dr. Brooks is a great teacher. If you're (or want to be) a coach, this course will help you a lot in understanding the science of training young athletes and developing your skills as a professional.

By Suzanne R

Aug 4, 2020

This is an excellent course. Teaching the appropriate amount of information to get new coaches started on the right path. Time to do the work and turn in assignments is well organized. I recommend it to anyone interested!

By Estefany G

Jun 23, 2020

I really enjoyed this course, it opened a new vision for me because I got a lot of useful information that I can use with my athletes and it also motivated me to keep learning. It showed me that I really love doing this job!

By Garfield R

Jun 18, 2020

This course helped me a lot in understanding the development stages of a young athlete and gave me a lot of knowledge and confidence going forward it was a great and very knowledgeable experience from which I've gained alot.

By RAJESH J C

Apr 26, 2020

Thank you so much. I had learned alot about human body , and how to train them effectively on right time. once again thank you so much it was really good to understand , and implement in our training programe.

By Pierre L

Jul 14, 2016

Very good course on the basics of coaching and training.

sometimes we wish to learn more but it is only an introduction.

The videos are really well made and the professor really knows her subject.

By Анастасия Л

Feb 17, 2020

This is a great course with huge amount of information! Was interesting and informative all the way, and would definitely recommend for those seeking more in-depth information on this topic.

By Ferry P

May 1, 2020

By Nji A F

Apr 19, 2020

A great thanks to my course instructor Dr Brooks and to my peers,believe me its very rich and would inform many friends to benefits too. keep the spirit and never stop learning.

By Tércio A d R B

Sep 9, 2018

Very well designed course, provides very complete and deep information regarding the Science of Training such as the physiology, biology, athletes training and others ...

By Lorena A Z G

Apr 23, 2020

It is helpful, not only for coaches but also for athletes, or in my case sports therapists. It helps you understand how the body of an athlete works from an early age.

By Jose M J W B

May 15, 2020

Thank you for this amazing course. I look forward to taking the other course as well and hoiping to take a the Masters Course on Sports Management in UF. Go Gators!

By Flavio M F

Oct 27, 2018

Um curso muito bom! Com muita informação para se tornar um coach de jovens atletas e estimular e potencializar o desenvolvimento e retenção dos jovens nos esportes!

By Natasha B B L

Sep 3, 2020

I found the teachings here very useful for my career path. It helped me understand how to treat kids better when teaching them sport and how to take care of them

By Rahim A

Aug 3, 2020

Very very useful course for any coach anywhere in the world. Many new things learnt. Extremely useful. Thank your coursera for your flexibility and patience.

By Jonas S

Aug 8, 2020

Superb course. Very usefull and interesting. Course lecturer Chris Brooks is real profesional and it also makes course better. Highly recommend to everyone!

By Julie S

Sep 9, 2019

This class is an excellent resource for coaches of any sport. It will change your coaching perspective and show you how to coach each individual athlete.

By Adhwari K

Apr 2, 2017

This was a very useful course that helped me understand a lot about an athletes body and how to work on it as a coach.

A 'must do' course for all coaches.

By Riccardo C

Thanks to this course, I've learned how and when a young athlete grows and so I'm going to apply all these insights within my athletes training logs.

By Sambit R

Apr 15, 2020

Amazing insights into athlete development from an early age! Discovered scientific knowledge which I hope to assimilate into our training curriculum.