Back to Advanced Competitive Strategy

Advanced Competitive Strategy, Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München (LMU)

About this Course

Advanced Competitive Strategy will introduce new topics and modules with even more real world examples and opportunities for student interaction than in the previous course Competitive Strategy (https://www.coursera.org/learn/competitivestrategy). In Advanced Competitive Strategy, we will look at how companies can build up and maintain their customer base by increasing switching costs and facilitating strategic customer lock-ins. We will find out how firms can increase their profits by pursuing suitable price discrimination and product differentiation strategies. We will look at examples of what is acceptable behavior under the premises of EU competition and US antitrust policies and discover exciting ways of how companies can increase their returns by strategically making use of network effects and economies of size. We will further intensify our newly acquired knowledge about network effects and discuss strategies that are explicitly tailored to network markets. We will analyze the workings of mergers and acquisitions and, moreover, support you in considering alternative strategies that can help companies grow organically....

By AD

Jul 01, 2017

Great course with relevant content and really useful strategic overview of business strategy. Enjoyed Prof. Kretschmer's innovative teaching style and the breadth of the syllabus.

By AA

Feb 12, 2019

I like the game theory that used to explain competitive strategy. The lectures were interactive and quite challenging, which are important to keep the learner engaged and focused.

105 Reviews

By Peter Hansen

May 20, 2019

A great brush-up on competitiveness

By Alexander Teremetsky

May 14, 2019

By Victor Hugo Moreira Salles

Mar 30, 2019

Excellent course. It teaches all the stuff about lock-in strategies, network markets, organic and inorganic growth, organizational structure and more. A must for those pursuing managerial position in career.

By Diego Armando Moreno Ravelo

Mar 23, 2019

Excellent course.

By Vinnie Apicella

Feb 26, 2019

It seemed this course was actually produced before the first course in the Specialization because it came across as slightly less quality; what I mean is, it seemed as if the producer was still "learning" how to do this compared with the other, which appeared better prepared. Additionally, I believe the explanations for the material presented in the slides could be better, rather than simply stating what appears on the slides, the professor should go into greater detail to explain them -- not just restate what's clearly shown. I should admit 'm more of a beginner to this subject matter, so maybe I'm biased as such, versus the intermediate learners whom the producer may be focused on. But I do think the courses can definitely be improved upon.

By Lynn Oyler

Feb 23, 2019

Great extension of the Competitive Strategy Course; looking forward to the next class.

By Serguei Merzliakov

Feb 21, 2019

Really comfortable to learn, examples are well-selected and easy to grasp.

And, of course, fantastic choice of locations. Thank you to Tobias and ISTO staff!

By Anil Andrade

Feb 12, 2019

By ALOK KUMAR

Dec 19, 2018

Very insightful and engaging.

By Maxime Bittoun

Sep 15, 2018

Interesting course but after "Competitive Strategy" I was expecting to go deeper. I felt it was like an add on... not sure I would advise to do the two for professionals (working people) The way the course was delivered was once again perfect!