Back to Algorithmic Toolbox

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Algorithmic Toolbox by University of California San Diego

The course covers basic algorithmic techniques and ideas for computational problems arising frequently in practical applications: sorting and searching, divide and conquer, greedy algorithms, dynamic programming. We will learn a lot of theory: how to sort data and how it helps for searching; how to break a large problem into pieces and solve them recursively; when it makes sense to proceed greedily; how dynamic programming is used in genomic studies. You will practice solving computational problems, designing new algorithms, and implementing solutions efficiently (so that they run in less than a second)....

SG

Jan 20, 2017

I liked the fact that the algorithms are not just the introductory searching and sorting algorithms. The assignments are fairly difficult (I have decent scripting experience), but not impossibly so.

MM

Sep 29, 2017

good course, I like the fact you can use a lot of languages for you programming exercises, the content is really helpful, I would like to have more indications from the grading system to save time.

901 - 925 of 1,198 Reviews for Algorithmic Toolbox

By chirag t

Jul 01, 2018

Too much content I think all the type of algortihm are in one course like dynamic programming and greedy algorithm . This will take more time to complete and understanding. But still overall this course is very good . problem statement are good and forum will help in many ways. I have already completed 2-3 course offered by UCSD .

By Vivek R

Jul 13, 2018

Programming Assignments are simply brilliant. However, explanations are not clear, partly due to the instructors language. Nonetheless i would recommend this course. (Note: My programming language was python. I don't know about other languages but don't take this course in C, if so you'll curse yourself for taking this course)

By Ananth C

May 13, 2018

Great course. Would rate 5* if there was more buildup along the lines of stress testing in the early assignments. Your code is only as good as the robustness of the testing. If you don't follow a test-driven methodology, you don't really have a solution even if you pass the grader. A great resource for the community.

By Chey Y

Jul 18, 2017

I thought this was a great course and the assignments were very fun. I needed a lot of outside reading to learn enough to complete the problems. It would have been great to have more resources that were deemed by the teachers to be useful. Overall I really loved it. Excited for the rest of the classes!

By rajat k a

Oct 16, 2017

the course was too good it changed my idea of thinking towards solving a problem it just lacked some support like test case error's does not notify us for which input our output goes wrong some time it passes a lot of test cases yet fails at last although it helped me how to figure out corner cases.

By Anqi W

Jul 29, 2016

The content covered in this course is great. However, I hope there was a more efficient way to communicate with student. I hope there is a way to bring student together like a group chat function in the coursera app. So, people who want to be more committed can communicate more often and effcient.

By unnamed_vv

Dec 05, 2019

It's a wonderful course in which I learned details of greedy algorithm, divide and conquer algorithm and dynamic programming. However, the assignments is a little difficult and sometimes I couldn't come up with an idea at all. I hope the course would offer detailed answers after a period of time.

By DEVANSH R

Mar 30, 2020

the constraints condition are very strict while submitting the assignments, like in knapsack in week 6, is was getting unknown signal 11 while i was storing values in 2d array, when i changed the array to 2d vector i got the correct output on the grader, else overall was a good experience

By Aman J

Aug 24, 2017

Great Work! thanks a lot to the Coursera and Course instructors.

Some test cases shows only wrong answer not any information about why and what is going wrong

A little hard to find what is wrong with your code specially when it gives the current answer with examples on the pdf file

By Ian S S

Jun 13, 2018

Great course. Quite challenging. Unless you are already familiar with the material or have a background in mathematics I think the estimates for study time are a bit optimistic. The videos are clear and thorough, but quick. Might take a couple views to connect all the concepts.

By Juan E R L

Apr 19, 2016

Videos are very well explained, the exercises comes with several difficulties, good to apply what you learn and push a bit more. I was able to retake some stuff that I've forgotten and learn new stuff. As a 12 year experienced engineer, I'm please that I took this course.

By Anup V

Mar 28, 2016

Having time left on the last programming assignment in week 4 and not being allowed to complete it was a downer. I'm not sure if this was bug or if I'm missing something. The course was great and challenging. Thank you for preparing, organizing and teaching this course.

By Marina V

Mar 30, 2020

Good content, I really enjoyed learning the concepts, thank you! However giving only 4 stars because in some cases explanations/proofs were hard to understand -- and I'd find a YouTube video where someone explains the same thing very clearly in just a few minutes.

By To P H

Sep 03, 2018

Content of this course is very good for fundamental algorithm work. I have learnt a lot

In the divide and conquer section, nevertheless, I found the lecturer speaking quite fast and it would def help is he can explain things in more details using more layman terms

By Matthew S

Aug 08, 2016

An excellent and methodical approach to learning algorithms and their related data structures (as well as appreciating the value and importance of efficient computing). Also a great refresher even if you have had formal training in Data Structures and Algorithms.

By cesar c

May 09, 2018

Aún no logro comprender cuál es el beneficio para los instructores en no mostrar el input/data cuando un test-case falla, eso me hubiera ayudado a encontrar las soluciones más rápido, además en el mundo real, el input siempre es conocido. Por lo demás, muy bien.

By Chris

Aug 25, 2017

Overall great course and challenging programming assignments. My only critique is that some of the lectures (especially dynamic programming lesson) were difficult to follow. A little more attention to the delivery of the lectures would have been helpful.

By Sharvari D

Feb 05, 2018

I have found this course useful. It cleared my basics and I was finally able to overcome the fear of coding. However, I found that the video lectures were a little tough to understand and too straightforward. Rest, I can I say I have learnt a lot. Thanks!

By Tian P

Dec 18, 2017

The course offers a good overview of some of the major algorithms. The programming assignments are designed really well. I wish the lecture of some parts could be more elaborate, such as change money and edit distance. I really enjoy Alexander's sections.

By Khotov L K

Jul 13, 2016

Everything is awesome except a minor mismatch between Niel Rhodes's and Alexander Kulikov's presentations in Week 4. Although Prof. Rhodes prooved Master Theorem in the first half of the Week, Prof. Kulikov didn't use it estimating algorithms asymtotics.

By Jim J J

Aug 17, 2017

The assignments are of great standards and is challenging which is great for a learner. The videos and the materials are of not much help to understand the concepts in detail and often have to rely on simpler You tube videos to understand the concepts.

By Kurt W

May 18, 2016

Testing cases are claimed to be generated randomly, in that way why can't we get the random test case to improve our result? Also, there is no example code after the course, if I didn't solve out the problem I may never have the chance to work it out.

By Rachana N A

Jan 24, 2017

Very Good course

All the concepts were explained very well, barring Dynamic Programming. That could have been a bit more detailed. The programming assignments were fun to solve. A must have course for people beginning their study in computer science.

By Mark K

Mar 28, 2016

Lectures were clear, for the most part, and the homeworks were fun and instructive. Material on dynamic programming might have been clearer. Also, notes and references to texts would have been helpful. Thanks for putting together a great course.

By Fabrice L

Oct 11, 2017

Very good course! A lot of practice and exercice, that is what I expected. Some of the lectures are difficult to understand, it mainly depend on which teacher is explaining. But I mostly they follow an example well chosen to represent a concept.