Back to Algorithmic Toolbox

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Algorithmic Toolbox by University of California San Diego

The course covers basic algorithmic techniques and ideas for computational problems arising frequently in practical applications: sorting and searching, divide and conquer, greedy algorithms, dynamic programming. We will learn a lot of theory: how to sort data and how it helps for searching; how to break a large problem into pieces and solve them recursively; when it makes sense to proceed greedily; how dynamic programming is used in genomic studies. You will practice solving computational problems, designing new algorithms, and implementing solutions efficiently (so that they run in less than a second)....

SG

Jan 20, 2017

I liked the fact that the algorithms are not just the introductory searching and sorting algorithms. The assignments are fairly difficult (I have decent scripting experience), but not impossibly so.

MM

Sep 29, 2017

good course, I like the fact you can use a lot of languages for you programming exercises, the content is really helpful, I would like to have more indications from the grading system to save time.

1051 - 1075 of 1,426 Reviews for Algorithmic Toolbox

By Vitaly P

Feb 10, 2018

It's a really good and challenging course.

High quality materials and assignments.

I would have given it 5 stars if the last week was explained a little bit better. I had a feeling they didn't put enough effort in the last week, at least not as much as in the first four.

Anyways, generally this is a really good course and I learned a lot! Recommended

By Akshay B

Jan 12, 2018

The course can be a little tough if you do not have a basic idea of algorithms but if you go through the recommended readings, it is a really fun course. The quiz between videos are relevant and make you think about what you just learned. The programming assignments are not tough but will ask you to rattle your brain. All in all a great course.

By Christopher R

Mar 08, 2017

Great exercises. My only complaint is the last 2 weeks, the instructors weren't visual enough. They kept using hand gestures and not enough concrete visualizations of some of the steps. There were a lot of concrete visualizations for the big ideas... but not enough for all the different material and intermediary steps they were trying to teach.

By Jennifer K

Jun 06, 2017

The material was very thorough and the programming exercises challenging. I liked how you could do the exercises in a choice of different programming languages - doing the exercises is necessary for really understanding the material. Some of the readings can be downloaded for free online (in earlier releases) and this is worth the trouble.

By Yefei W

Mar 28, 2016

Very instructive and informative, helps resolving many doubts.

Excellent examples and programming assignments, information provided by autograder is just about right.

I feel like the programming assignment is just a tad too relaxing, for dynamic programming for example, I think we need to complete 3 out of 5 in order to pass, not just two.

By Maximilian R

Jun 14, 2017

Overall, a very good course. Really its truly amazing that this course is pretty much language agnostic and you can use whatever you know or feel like. Really frees you from the esoteric details, to focus on the algorithms themselves. Do wish the last chapter on dynamic programming could have been better explained or split into 2 weeks.

By Sergey A S

Jul 30, 2016

The course gives a good overview on the algorithms types and problems, but it's cannot be used as standalone source of algorith,s learning. You should use good textbook as well.

The programming challenges are really interesting (and challenging), sometimes it took for me a couple of evenings to complete all five week assignments.

Thanks!

By Robin S S

Jan 13, 2020

I loved the difficulty of the problems throughout the course, and I was properly challenged at every step. However, I feel like the 5th and 6th week needed more thorough and clearer explanation on dynamic programming. The videos alone were not enough for me, and I had to lean on a fair number of external sources to learn the material.

By chirag t

Jul 01, 2018

Too much content I think all the type of algortihm are in one course like dynamic programming and greedy algorithm . This will take more time to complete and understanding. But still overall this course is very good . problem statement are good and forum will help in many ways. I have already completed 2-3 course offered by UCSD .

By Debwashis B

Dynamic Programming concepts should be improved. I have to see others videos for fulfilling the concepts. Knapsack tables or other tables essential for dynamic programming are not good in this course. It should include videos for a better understanding of how to code. Otherwise, this course design is very good and helpful. Thanks

By Vivek R

Jul 13, 2018

Programming Assignments are simply brilliant. However, explanations are not clear, partly due to the instructors language. Nonetheless i would recommend this course. (Note: My programming language was python. I don't know about other languages but don't take this course in C, if so you'll curse yourself for taking this course)

By Ananth C

May 13, 2018

Great course. Would rate 5* if there was more buildup along the lines of stress testing in the early assignments. Your code is only as good as the robustness of the testing. If you don't follow a test-driven methodology, you don't really have a solution even if you pass the grader. A great resource for the community.

By Chey Y

Jul 18, 2017

I thought this was a great course and the assignments were very fun. I needed a lot of outside reading to learn enough to complete the problems. It would have been great to have more resources that were deemed by the teachers to be useful. Overall I really loved it. Excited for the rest of the classes!

By rajat k a

Oct 16, 2017

the course was too good it changed my idea of thinking towards solving a problem it just lacked some support like test case error's does not notify us for which input our output goes wrong some time it passes a lot of test cases yet fails at last although it helped me how to figure out corner cases.

By Aquib R

The course was very helpful in understanf=ding the working of algorithms and building up your own strategy for different similar questions. However, I was expecting a little bit of more code related help in the last part of dynamic programming. Nevertheless, it was a wholesome learning experience.

By Anqi W

Jul 29, 2016

The content covered in this course is great. However, I hope there was a more efficient way to communicate with student. I hope there is a way to bring student together like a group chat function in the coursera app. So, people who want to be more committed can communicate more often and effcient.

By unnamed_vv

Dec 05, 2019

It's a wonderful course in which I learned details of greedy algorithm, divide and conquer algorithm and dynamic programming. However, the assignments is a little difficult and sometimes I couldn't come up with an idea at all. I hope the course would offer detailed answers after a period of time.

By DEVANSH R

Mar 30, 2020

the constraints condition are very strict while submitting the assignments, like in knapsack in week 6, is was getting unknown signal 11 while i was storing values in 2d array, when i changed the array to 2d vector i got the correct output on the grader, else overall was a good experience

By Aman J

Aug 24, 2017

Great Work! thanks a lot to the Coursera and Course instructors.

Some test cases shows only wrong answer not any information about why and what is going wrong

A little hard to find what is wrong with your code specially when it gives the current answer with examples on the pdf file

By Ian S S

Jun 13, 2018

Great course. Quite challenging. Unless you are already familiar with the material or have a background in mathematics I think the estimates for study time are a bit optimistic. The videos are clear and thorough, but quick. Might take a couple views to connect all the concepts.

By Juan E R L

Apr 19, 2016

Videos are very well explained, the exercises comes with several difficulties, good to apply what you learn and push a bit more. I was able to retake some stuff that I've forgotten and learn new stuff. As a 12 year experienced engineer, I'm please that I took this course.

By sai K N

This course helps to learn the techniques to write the optimised solutions for a program which is very much necessary in today's world of competetive programming. Its a very good learning experice though I faced problem in understanding the dynamic programming concepts.

By Anup V

Mar 28, 2016

Having time left on the last programming assignment in week 4 and not being allowed to complete it was a downer. I'm not sure if this was bug or if I'm missing something. The course was great and challenging. Thank you for preparing, organizing and teaching this course.

By Ковенко В А

Apr 20, 2020

The course is pretty good. It covers main ideas of solving algorithms along with general problems that can be solved using highlighted ideas. However, the fifth and sixth weeks weren't so exciting because of the lack of the explanation regarding dynamic programming.

By Marina V

Mar 30, 2020

Good content, I really enjoyed learning the concepts, thank you! However giving only 4 stars because in some cases explanations/proofs were hard to understand -- and I'd find a YouTube video where someone explains the same thing very clearly in just a few minutes.