Back to Fundamentals of Audio and Music Engineering: Part 1 Musical Sound & Electronics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Fundamentals of Audio and Music Engineering: Part 1 Musical Sound & Electronics by University of Rochester

In this course students learn the basic concepts of acoustics and electronics and how they can applied to understand musical sound and make music with electronic instruments. Topics include: sound waves, musical sound, basic electronics, and applications of these basic principles in amplifiers and speaker design....

IS

Oct 27, 2016

Absolutely Excellent Course, Fantastic teaching; I found the circuit analysis for the last two weeks really challenging (in a good way). Very glad I stuck with it and finished it.

AK

Sep 21, 2015

Good course. I enjoyed watching the lectures, especially from Bocco. The quizzes were also very representative of the course materials. Thanks for a good learning experience.

1 - 25 of 94 Reviews for Fundamentals of Audio and Music Engineering: Part 1 Musical Sound & Electronics

By Isaac S

By Hari M

Mar 10, 2018

Very good course, some of the math is a bit advanced, but the explanations are excellent. Thank you very much for this opportunity. I am eagerly waiting for the part 2!!

By Jason N

Nov 15, 2015

While the lectures were good, this course had annoying issues, such as in-video questions asking us to refer to previously shown material (which isn't easy given the Coursera interface). A few assignment questions were also poorly formulated. The course would have really benefited from .pdf reference material, for review and elaboration of topics presented in lectures. At minimum, a list of relevant equations would have helped.

The acoustics part of the content seemed somewhat sketchy and hand-wavy; the assumptions and limitations behind the rule-of-thumb equations and models presented weren't given much weight, so I wasn't able to get a good grasp of when they were relevant*. The electronics part was more reasonable, but still suffered from some over-simplification (for example, the model of guitar pickups didn't include magnetic hysteresis).

All in all, the course was worth taking, but I think the material deserves more rigor.

*All models are wrong. But some of them are useful.

By Luke M

Mar 11, 2018

It's not perfect, (I'm not really sure how you could sexy up some of the math that you must know for the theory portion of the course) but it is an excellent, and free, course for people who are interested in, or need a refresher in analogue electronics.

If you've any doubt about your math and physics background, I'd STRONGLY recommend going through the Electrical Engineering pages on Khan Academy, and knowing those formulas cold before starting in on this course.

By Aleksandar P

Oct 27, 2017

Dear professors and dear Dave, thank you very much for this wonderful experience! I am looking forward to building and trying out the amplifier. I would only like to ask you two things, if possible: 1. would it be possible to provide the slides? 2. Would it be possible to provide more information about box building (some more pictures of specific steps)? Thank you very much!

By Ante M

Jun 15, 2017

The course is great for beginners or even people with a good engineering background to learn more about electroacoustics. The idea of getting the required knowledge to built an amplifier at the end of the course is rewarding and interesting. I can recommend the course but watch the videos on 1.25 speed :D

By Erlie D

Oct 21, 2016

I enjoyed all the lessons and discussions. The whole course was a great experience which eventually enhanced my knowledge and developed new skills. It is my first time to be in an online course but I could say that it is worth experiencing. Its so epic to complete the course. 5 stars men!

By Edgar A S G

Dec 18, 2016

It is a great course, and you learn with very simple approaches to all the different circuits and physical phenomena explained. Would be useful to have a summary sheet with all formulas used for calculating the dimensions of a cabinet, as it can be very useful in the future. Thank you!

By Scott H H

Mar 10, 2018

Very practical course that combines mathematical and engineering theory with hands-on, real-world examples, hardware, and software. I would highly recommend this course to anyone interested in how mechanical and electrical systems apply to music engineering.

By Andrew K

Sep 21, 2015

By Renato G

Apr 18, 2017

Curso muito Bom! Completo com diversos assuntos interessantes para quem é músico e se interessa pela parte técnica. Uma boa revisão para os engenheiros eletrônicos!

By Felipe M D

Jan 20, 2017

It's a great course!! Both teachers explain everything in a very clear way!! It's really the starting point for those who want to follow the audio engineering path.

By Tran N M T

Jun 14, 2018

Great course. It teaches all the fundamentals in electronic engineering and acoustic engineering and how to analyze complex systems using basic but powerful tools.

By chekad s

Oct 21, 2016

Excellent Course. I can't wait for part 2 after this course. Thank you to instruction for sharing their experience and knowledge with us.

By Luiz C M M

Mar 13, 2017

Greate Course. An innovative, encouraging, motivating course, excellent teachers, intensive content. Excellent. Highly recommend.

By J.Ben J

Nov 28, 2017

very nice course to learn new something about the fundamentals of audio and music engineering, musicalsounds and eloctronics

By Neng-Yu T

Jul 06, 2019

great course for guitar player and audio engineer that serious in sound and effects both in real world and in theory.

By Shivendu K

Aug 04, 2019

A lot of things to learn from physics of musicality to circuitry analysis of guitar pickups, Wah pedals, Filters.

By Eduardo C H

Feb 15, 2019

Excelente curso, gostei muito do que aprendi. Este curso foi de extrema importância para minha profissão.

By Artemy

Oct 27, 2016

Real pros telling the fundamental things. This course will open the door into music hardware guts.

By Roberto V A

Jan 14, 2018

Great course! Maybe the best MOOC I have ever done! I am looking forward for the second part.

By Juan P P S

Jan 15, 2016

I learned new exciting things about the technology behind guitars and pickups! Great course.

By Rich

Sep 19, 2018

I learned so much and I found it so interesting I think I am going to go through it again.

By Sorin A

Apr 27, 2017

in depth knowledge about Acoustics and Electronics. Great Course, highly recommended !

By vamsy k

Mar 20, 2016

I got to know the use of calculus in the real world and it is very exciting.