Back to Introduction to Human Behavioral Genetics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Human Behavioral Genetics by University of Minnesota

Behavioral genetic methodologies from twin and adoption studies through DNA analysis will be described and applied to address longstanding questions about the origins of individual differences in behavioral traits....

OO

Jun 14, 2019

This is a very interesting course. I've learned a lot and is helpful to understand how exactly genetics effects us and hat factors contribute to schizophrenia. Great course, would highly recommend!

MM

Sep 13, 2018

It is an amazing course. After this course, my perspective towards genetics and psychology have changed. Many thanks to Professor Matt McGue. He has been one amazing guide, for the subject.

1 - 25 of 110 Reviews for Introduction to Human Behavioral Genetics

By Samruddhi G

Jun 09, 2020

One of the finest courses available on Coursera! Proffesor Matt McGue is an excellent mentor who knows how to keep a class interesting. Would love to complete another course by him.

By Janet B

May 13, 2020

I liked listening to the teacher and thought his presentations were meaningful. The readings were helpful and not (frightfully) technical. The one thing about the course that needs addressing is that someone who knows the field needs to proofread the transcripts. I don't know if they were created by a transcriber or by computer, or some combination, but some curious things appeared. The funniest was "gene irritability" rather than "gene heritability." The word "elicit" was replaced often by "illicit," which in context made no sense. I first went through each transcript and edited out the goofy transcribing before listening to the lectures and following along in the transcript. I wondered how confusing the transcripts would be, therefore, to those for whom English is not a primary language. The transcription errors SHOULD BE FIXED, for the sake of those students. As an editor I know how simple the process is for cleaning this up, and as a psychologist/teacher I know how disheartening it can be for class members to find that printed material is inaccessible or misleading.

By Beatrice M

Jan 17, 2019

I learned many things in this challenging class. One thing I regret is that there is no correction after the test is passed. A brief explanation of why I was wrong would have helped me. Thank you very much to Professor McGue and his team!

By Olga

Jun 14, 2019

By Catherine J

Jul 26, 2020

The syllabus that was put together was very useful. I had a great time learning how psychology and genetics go hand in hand. Fascinated is the word I would love to use.

By PRACHI S O

Jul 17, 2020

It’s a very good and interesting course for those interested in Behavioral Genetics. The topics were very well explained with examples form literature/research studies. Insight about how genetics (heritability), shared and non-shared environment have an influence on psychology/behavior of an individual. This course also gives knowledge about Genomic Medicine, Genetic Counseling and its application in the field of Behavioral Genetics in the near future. It is overall a very good course. Thanks to Professor Matt McGue for such a detailed and interesting course. It is really very helpful !!!

By Ajinkya B

Professor McGue had a wonderful method of explaining things. He made even the most difficult concepts very easy to understand. The inclusions of case studies particularly helped get the solid foundation of the concepts taught. The program was very well structured and the slides helped take notes. Prof. McGue's teaching method was so good that I without referring to my notes, I can still recall all the topics covered. I would be very interested to do other courses in behavioural genetics.

By Roxana T

Aug 12, 2020

The teacher of the course, Matt McGue, is a wonderful storyteller and has an impressive capacity to explain complex concepts into an accessible manner. While the course gets quite technical at times, I think it is still accessible for someone with no related background (my background is not medicine, genetics or psychology), but a keen interest in genetics. Thanks, Matt! I thoroughly enjoyed your course!

By Rosanne P

Sep 25, 2017

This course was very, very informative and was presented in a way that for those of us who have introductory knowledge of the area were able to follow along and learn significantly. It was so dense that it took more reflection and note taking than other courses I've taken, nevertheless, it challenged me and I feel all the more knowledgeable in the area. Thank you!

By Holly B

Jun 05, 2019

Great overview of human behavioral genetics and its implications for the future. I am a little sad that this course happened in 2014, because I'd love it to include all the findings since. Dr. McGue is a wonderful teacher (high praise from a fellow teacher) who clearly cares very much about the audience/students and his work for the course. Thanks for creating!

By ARCHANA D

This course has really helped me to acquire knowledge about genetics really well.

I think everyone should do this course to get a good amount of info on basics as to why and how we're all same, different and most importantly what are the reasons for so.

I'd like to thank the Professor, the University of Minnesota and the Coursera Org for this opportunity. :)

By Grace C

Mar 02, 2017

Highly recommended. I loved the structure - I could watch a lecture every morning on my commute and do a bit of reading over my lunchtime. Matt McGue was a great lecturer who broke down complicated topics into easy to understand chunks. I'm a Psychology beginner but I got a lot out of this course and most of all I really enjoyed it. Definitely give it a go!

By Ricky V

Feb 28, 2017

This was a superb course. Very accessible for the non-specialist. Matt McGue is an excellent lecturer and very clear and conscientious about his subject. I feel I have a stronger grounding in behavioural genetics and am using much of the research in the classroom today. I would recommend this to anyone interested in the influence of genetics on behaviour.

By Dana S

Aug 22, 2017

"Introduction to Human Behavioral Genetics" was an extremely interesting and enlightening course. I have greatly enhanced my understanding of the field, and am motivated to further expand my understanding. I really appreciated the optional supplemental lectures, as they provided the option of learning about the topics at an enriched level.

By Victoria K

Aug 05, 2020

Many many thanks to Professor McGue and his colleagues for this delightful and thorough introduction to the field of behavioural genetics. I was so intrigued I couldn't stop myself, and made it through the course in about 3 weeks! Thanks a million for sharing this course and for making it so accessible. All the very best. Kind regards!

By Ashwini U

Jul 24, 2020

By far the most enjoyable course I have undertaken on this platform so far. Professor McGue made every lecture an absolute joy to learn. Personally having a background in Genetics, I was introduced to a completely new perspective of this science and I am very grateful for it. A wonderful and challenging (in a good way) course.

By vaibhav j

Jul 07, 2020

This is the first time I have attended a class in this format and wondered how effective it would be. It was very effective and therefore I would definitely be interested in attending other classes in the same formal. The instructor was very knowlegeable and provided a wealth of information. I really enjoyed the course

By Arun J K

Jul 21, 2020

this is a really interesting topic to study especially genetic backdrop of our behaviour and varied related diseases. Since everyone is different, it is so curious to know what contributes to this difference. This course is giving an excellent platform for deepening our understanding scientifically in this direction.

By Antonio B T

Professor Matt McGue makes everything seem easy. Thanks to this encyclopedic knowledge of the subject, he is able to explain even the most abstruse notions in a crystal-clear manner. It was my first Coursera class, now I intend to take many more, in the hope they are as interesting as this one.

Thank you!

By Mariana P V

May 07, 2020

¡Es un curso increíble! La calidad es demasiado buena; la metodología, los temas, las explicaciones, el orden, las lecturas y los exámenes, todo es en absoluto excelente. Todos estos aspectos permiten que el aprendizaje se desarrolle de manera clara. Definitivamente lo recomiendo.

By namrata r

Sep 20, 2017

Very informative course. It made me question a lot of aspects about behavior and the professor of this course was very invested and tried giving as much exposure to his students. Would definitely recommend it if you're interested in genetics or human behavior

By Vanessa C d C L

Oct 13, 2018

I really enjoyed this course, I learned a lot of new things about human behavior and some about the genetics involved. The lessons were very engaging and well taught. Thank you Professor Matt McGue and to anyone involved, you did a really good job! Thanks!

By Thais F d S

Jan 03, 2017

Totally awesome! Great content, great techer, all videos are very well organized and well-thought. There is no need to have any previal knowledge in genetics nor psicology, it is meant for anyone who wants to look at the world and people differently!

By Pamela A G

Jul 31, 2020

I find the course very interesting . Before taking the course I didn't really knew the importance and the correlation about genetics and psychology, and now I can say that I have a very new perspective about this field. I really have learned a lot.