Back to Understanding Clinical Research: Behind the Statistics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Clinical Research: Behind the Statistics by University of Cape Town

If you’ve ever skipped over`the results section of a medical paper because terms like “confidence interval” or “p-value” go over your head, then you’re in the right place. You may be a clinical practitioner reading research articles to keep up-to-date with developments in your field or a medical student wondering how to approach your own research. Greater confidence in understanding statistical analysis and the results can benefit both working professionals and those undertaking research themselves. If you are simply interested in properly understanding the published literature or if you are embarking on conducting your own research, this course is your first step. It offers an easy entry into interpreting common statistical concepts without getting into nitty-gritty mathematical formulae. To be able to interpret and understand these concepts is the best way to start your journey into the world of clinical literature. That’s where this course comes in - so let’s get started! The course is free to enroll and take. You will be offered the option of purchasing a certificate of completion which you become eligible for, if you successfully complete the course requirements. This can be an excellent way of staying motivated! Financial Aid is also available....

AM

Dec 16, 2018

Klopper MD is a great teacher. There are other courses from another top universities about this topic, but I think this is my favourite. This the shortest in duration and most comprehensive among all.

LK

Jul 29, 2017

Great course!! it is gonna provide you a good foundation in clinical studies if you want to start your career in clinical research! Clear explanation and comprehensive case study! highly recommended!

26 - 50 of 495 Reviews for Understanding Clinical Research: Behind the Statistics

By Frans U D

Dec 18, 2018

This is one of the best Online Course I have ever joined fully until completion.I absolutely recommend this course to my friends and anyone else in the area of Public Health, Medicine even Veterinary Medicine.There is so much to learn for so little time but Dr Juan is absolutely amazing in his way of handling this course that made it look simple and he has truly made it so much easier to comprehend. So much better than learning from Statistical textbooks

By Elisea A

May 05, 2020

I found it very useful to have written notes after the explain videos (since English is not my first language, sometimes it is easier for me to understand written things). Also, I think that the exams were very accurate to test my knowledge since all the questions were applied to practice and not just theory questions. I think that now I definitely have a better understanding of the papers I read. The most important topics were covered in this course.

By Diego E

Apr 05, 2020

An excellent course, definitely the perfect introduction to understand the methodology in medicine and dentistry journals. It´s also a course that motivates you to delve into the beautiful field of statistics.

Un curso excelente, definitivamente es la introducción perfecta para entender, de mejor manera, la metodología investigativa en publicaciones periódicas, además es un curso que motiva a profundizar en el bello campo de la estadística.

By Antimo M C

Dec 15, 2017

A thoughtful organization of theoretical knowledge in reasoned lessons that are masterfully performed by an excellent teacher who leads you through the study of Statistics from a very initial understanding of it until its practical implementation. And the icing on the cake... this knowledge is put into practice also making students compare each other while actually let them grow by increasing their awareness towards themselves and the topic.

By Sohaib A

Feb 14, 2020

Dr. Juan Klopper provided concise information in an engaging manner that enabled me to finally understand clinical research. I appreciate his gentle teaching style, and the overall self-pacing system of this program. Keep on doing the good work, sir. This is one course that I would definitely recommend to my peers, so that they also may develop the same understanding of this crucial subject as Dr. Klopper enabled me to. Thank you.

By Misbah t

Mar 10, 2020

After completing the course, I've seen a significant difference in understanding of statistics. I used to skip the section of the statistical analysis in every research paper because the names of the test always goes over my head. Now I can confidently correlate the statistical findings with the given data in the research paper. Thank you Dr. Jaun Klopper for all the valuable information. This course is tremendous.

By Anna K

Nov 04, 2019

The course is very helpful to those who work in clinical trials but do not have a mathematical background. I am a former biology student, we had a course in biostatistics. Many subjects were similar, but we were never given examples from clinical trials. It was great to have this refresher course and deepen my knowledge in clinical statistics. I am very grateful to the creators of this course. Thank you!

By Coby S

Apr 25, 2017

The course has addressed all the fundamentals and has given me direction and the information I required as a person that is not in the medical field, making it easy for further research. Some additional numerical examples in the keynotes would have added great value. The use of actual journal articles added a practical twist to the theory and applications of statistics. I am proud te be South Afriv

By Mohammed B

Nov 05, 2018

This is a great course for workers in the medical field and health sciences, it assumes no prior knowledge in statistics and proceeds with step by step intuitive explanation of concepts with virtually no math. It has great optional practical videos on how to search for papers online and how to do statistical tests using spreadsheets software. It is quite through in scope, recommend it strongly.

By Priscila d S N

Aug 06, 2019

The course highlights the most important concepts on statistics for students beginning in Health research, helping us interpret the data in published papers. We also learn to decide which tests to choose when analyzing our data. As a bonus, we end up curious about how to calculate the statistics - and I've heard when a class gives you more questions than answers, so it's reached its goals.

By Owais A K

Apr 07, 2018

A wonderfully constructed, practically oriented course! The instruction is lucid, the flow of topics logical and the quizzes helpful for showcasing real-world application of the concepts taught. Would HIGHLY recommend it to all those interested in understanding the logic behind statistical analyses and tests. Thank you for a wonderful course experience Dr. Juan and the entire team!

By Lipin A

Hello! It is an amazing course! After I completed it, I firstly repeatedly listen to some lectures on statistics from my previous courses. I really understand them more than earlier. I think that this course is really able to improve your current knowledge and understanding of statistical issues. So, the name of this course is absolutely correct. Thank you, Mr. Juan H. Klopper!

By cindy w

Jun 28, 2018

I appreciate good framing of this course. In order to benefit reviewing of the key points of every lessions, the notes of key points are clearly summarized after each video presentation. The medical statistics is very complex for a new learner, I am very grateful to have the chance to join this lesson which perfect balances concise and exhaustive for understanding

By Dominik B

Mar 27, 2019

Well-paced and easy to understand course on an important topic! I especially liked the way the assignements were done - tests were challenging and contained practical information, and peer review assignments let me try analyzing papers by myself. I would surely recommend the course to anyone interested in developing the knowledge about statistics in healthcare!

By Cristóbal S R

Jun 02, 2020

I enjoyed a lot this course! I recommend it if you are interested in understand how clinical research works and how statistics are used. I think its for everyone because it is short but very well explained, what makes it really easy to stay motivated. Finally, this course actually made me comprehend those topics that I was struggling with, so im very grateful.

By Daniel C

Feb 13, 2017

This course is an excellent introduction to statistics in clinical research. Dr. Klopper is clearly passionate about the subject. This is reflected in his engaging video lectures and the high quality of the material presented. I now have a much better understanding of the meaning behind commonly used statistical tests and variables in the medical literature.

By Shivesh T

Jun 02, 2018

An excellent course to achieve a basic understanding of the statistics behind clinical research. This is a foundation course and will not be enough for you to fully grasp everything required to conduct and analyse your own research but it will serve as a sturdy stepping stone. I very much recommend this to anyone who is starting out in clinical research.

By Wendy G N

May 06, 2020

Excellent course on understanding statistical concepts in a clear and precise manner. Thank you Dr. Klopper, you are an excellent tutor. The videos are short and precise, yet the following notes are comprehensive and this was very great because it gave me a chance to follow through the videos without rashing to take notes simultaneously. thanks again.

By Mohammed G E

Mar 09, 2018

I think it was a very useful course to get a grasp on what's behind the 'Methods' and 'Statistical Analysis' sections that we read in published papers everyday. It would be even better if another 'advanced' course with similar scope is developed with more examples of real literature studies so the the picture can be even clearer. Thank you!

By Dr. R

May 02, 2020

Excellent Course for the beginners. This course has changed the way I look at statistics from now on. Very precise explanation and Concise reading material. The Spreadsheet activities were so good. Ultimately the case studies and step by step explanation simply made us understand research better. Thank you for conducting this course.

By Khurram S

Nov 04, 2018

It was an awesome experience. I had already a bit of statistical experience but wasn't confident enough. Now, i can go out there in to the world of Research with full confidence & perform a valid research. Anyone who wan't to dive in to basics of Research & statistics involved with it, this course is a MUST for them. Thanks Sir Juan!

By Upasna G

Apr 14, 2020

This was a good course to give a basic overview of statistics used in clinical research. Now I have a sense of what exactly is happening under the methods section of articles. However, this is still too basic and to fully grasp research articles, one needs to take a more advanced course. But this is a great stepping stone for that!

By Craig E

Jan 03, 2020

Dr. Klopper does a great job teaching these fundamental aspects of clinical research statistics. I particularly appreciated the shortness of the lectures, section quizzes with immediate feedback, notes provided, and flow of information. The course material was easy to follow and study, and I gained a lot from the course. Thank you!

By Geoffrey

Mar 07, 2019

The course was presented with absolute perfection. It has enabled me to really understand the statistical elements of clinical research. The skills and knowledge attained will enable me to appreciate the statistical elements of publication more comprehensively. Thanks to Dr. Juan Klopper and the University of cape town team.

By EMMANUEL B B

Oct 18, 2017

Great course content. Well elaborated and easy to understand even for non-science oriented students. It is an excellent starter for students wishing to pursue clinical research studies as it presents the important first steps for research. Thanks to you Dr Juan Klopper, the University of Cape Town, and the entire Coursera team.