Back to Understanding Clinical Research: Behind the Statistics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Clinical Research: Behind the Statistics by University of Cape Town

If you’ve ever skipped over`the results section of a medical paper because terms like “confidence interval” or “p-value” go over your head, then you’re in the right place. You may be a clinical practitioner reading research articles to keep up-to-date with developments in your field or a medical student wondering how to approach your own research. Greater confidence in understanding statistical analysis and the results can benefit both working professionals and those undertaking research themselves. If you are simply interested in properly understanding the published literature or if you are embarking on conducting your own research, this course is your first step. It offers an easy entry into interpreting common statistical concepts without getting into nitty-gritty mathematical formulae. To be able to interpret and understand these concepts is the best way to start your journey into the world of clinical literature. That’s where this course comes in - so let’s get started! The course is free to enroll and take. You will be offered the option of purchasing a certificate of completion which you become eligible for, if you successfully complete the course requirements. This can be an excellent way of staying motivated! Financial Aid is also available....

AM
Dec 15, 2018

Klopper MD is a great teacher. There are other courses from another top universities about this topic, but I think this is my favourite. This the shortest in duration and most comprehensive among all.

LK
Jul 28, 2017

Great course!! it is gonna provide you a good foundation in clinical studies if you want to start your career in clinical research! Clear explanation and comprehensive case study! highly recommended!

101 - 125 of 729 Reviews for Understanding Clinical Research: Behind the Statistics

By Proloy B

Nov 18, 2018

I have taken

"Understanding Clinical Research: Behind the Statistics" course and I found this course very useful and easy to follow critical topics of medical research. The instructions and course materials are well organized. I am greatly benefited from the course. Happy learning!

By Alejandro H A

Jul 14, 2020

A very complete course, helped me to have a good foundation in research and statistics, the best online course I have ever taken. It helped me a lot that it is oriented to the health sciences. An excellent professor. It will help me a lot in my daily practice as a medical student.

By Bassamah h

Jan 10, 2018

A highly recommended course for colleagues as a refresher of basic statistical concepts and introduction of advanced statistical tools.Dr Juan is a very nice, decent teacher who delivers course in a very effiecient way with less time consumption. Big thanks to Dr Juan and team.

By Felipe K O k

Apr 29, 2020

It's a really nice course, it helped me a lot to be more confident about what i'm seeing when reading a study. It will help you with different doubts: p value, parametric and non parametric test (ANOVA, T TEST, Chi SQAURE...) and specificity and sensivility with diagnosis tests

Jan 1, 2016

Thank you very much Juan, for your time and dedication! You really inspired me to take the path to research in the medical field! I never have had such a high standard course in clinical research! Thanks very much, I feel proud to have had the chance to be one of your students.

By Gene D

Aug 27, 2018

Great refresher's course for those who took Biostat in college or in graduate school and a valuable backgrounder course for those who did not. It helps you navigate the Statistical section of the medical journals while assist you in appreciating the meaning behind the data.

By Sherif M A A A

May 9, 2020

A very systematic course that starts with you from the scratch of types of studies and types of data, and going with you to reach comprehensive understanding of the difficult values and parameters as P-value, confidence interval, odds ratio & types of statistical tests.

By IAN M

May 9, 2018

This course offers a simplified way of understanding the complexities of searching free full-text pubmed articles, study designs, sampling methods, statistical analysis and interpretation of scientific research. I highly recommend it to any clinical research beginner.

By Katherine D

Sep 8, 2020

I am so glad I chose this course! It is presented really well and Dr Klopper makes these concepts easy to understand and remember. I have a much better understanding of statistical analysis now and I am looking forward to applying it to the medical literature I read.

By Umi S

I could see that this course will help me with better understanding of statistical parts in clinical research protocols. I always wondered all the statistical terms such as p-value and confidential intervals and this course lead me to find the answers to my wonders.

By Payal S

Jul 16, 2019

This is an excellent course if you are involved in research work or simply want to understand medical literature better. The concepts are presented in a very simple and easy to understand manner with appropriate examples. Thank you Dr Juan for your excellent effort.

By Laura A G A

Really great course to let go of the fear of statistical language. Gives you the necessary tools to adequately understand research papers and the data behind them. Plus gives you a good quick refresh on all research terminology. Understanding statistics made easy.

By Mohammed K

Apr 27, 2019

Excellent course, very well explained and tested the individual appropriately. Covered many topics and although not deeply, it allowed you to understand the basics that will allow you to understand what you are reading and will help you to go further on your path.

By Blessy P

Aug 17, 2020

Great Instructor! Excellent content and format. This course helped to put all the different pieces together to develop a practical/'intuitive' understanding, (as Juan would say :)) Excel/spreadsheet tricks came as bonus! Thank you Coursera for this great offering

By Vitalii U

May 22, 2018

Excellent course! I will recommend it as a MUST to medical advisors and medical liaison officers in pharmaceutical company I am currently working. Very simple and useful explanation of statistics concepts. Extremely useful. Thank you very much for this course.

By Nimmy K

Sep 18, 2020

Thank you for this wonderful course! After completing this course, I feel so much more confident reading the Statistical Analysis section in a paper. I really liked the systematic manner in which the concepts were introduced throughout the course. Thank you!!

By Camilla S

Jul 3, 2018

A great and very easy to understand course. It gives you an idea of commonly used statistical analysis, but without going too deep into the math. Great if you are tired of reading articles and not understanding what a p-value or a paired t-test is. thumps up!

By Sonakshi S

Aug 17, 2020

This was a great course. It is an ideal course for beginners to get familiar with the concepts of research methodology. The quizzes are helpful for rating our own understanding of the chapter. In a nutshell, it lays a foundation of research for the students.

By Hugo H Z

Aug 28, 2019

Very easy pace of learning things related with clinical research. The concepts are very well explained, and if you are not an statistician, this course is gonna help you a lot. Thanks to the Dr. Juan Klopper for doing this couse. I higly recomend this couse.

By Ramesh C

Nov 10, 2016

It is an excellent course and opportunity to learn about statistics and its applications in the medical research. The concepts are well explained and easy to understand. I express my heartfelt gratitude to the Coursera community and University of Cape Town.

By Rasheed M F

Jan 19, 2020

This was an excellent experience, refreshing all the information, updating for few unclear things , better understanding of the basics ....... Fast, easy to focus and well explained .......I enjoyed every moment of the course, thanks for all the efforts

By Sebawe S

Dec 21, 2019

A very exceptional course that teaches you so much about clinical research, and I think it's a must for every medical student, who wants to become and evidence-based physician as all the 21st century novel physicians should be, and not just researchers.

By MOHAMED M

May 7, 2020

it was always stressful moment for me when i come cross with reading any article or research data results . but after taking this course it relay made it clear understandable. = the skim for understanding the statistics. thank you very much Dr Klopper.

By L C

Aug 2, 2019

Excellent. I would love to have had some of the final test answers explained in some way so I could understand why I got a couple wrong. Either way it was an excellent course, excellent Instructor and appropriate material for basic level statistics.

By sofie j

May 5, 2021

Excellent course with an easy, understandable language for non-native English speakers and short, clear videos with supplementary notes and quizzes to make sure you got the content. Thank you a lot for this brush up on statistics in clinical research