Back to Understanding Clinical Research: Behind the Statistics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Clinical Research: Behind the Statistics by University of Cape Town

If you’ve ever skipped over`the results section of a medical paper because terms like “confidence interval” or “p-value” go over your head, then you’re in the right place. You may be a clinical practitioner reading research articles to keep up-to-date with developments in your field or a medical student wondering how to approach your own research. Greater confidence in understanding statistical analysis and the results can benefit both working professionals and those undertaking research themselves. If you are simply interested in properly understanding the published literature or if you are embarking on conducting your own research, this course is your first step. It offers an easy entry into interpreting common statistical concepts without getting into nitty-gritty mathematical formulae. To be able to interpret and understand these concepts is the best way to start your journey into the world of clinical literature. That’s where this course comes in - so let’s get started! The course is free to enroll and take. You will be offered the option of purchasing a certificate of completion which you become eligible for, if you successfully complete the course requirements. This can be an excellent way of staying motivated! Financial Aid is also available....

AM

Dec 16, 2018

Klopper MD is a great teacher. There are other courses from another top universities about this topic, but I think this is my favourite. This the shortest in duration and most comprehensive among all.

LK

Jul 29, 2017

Great course!! it is gonna provide you a good foundation in clinical studies if you want to start your career in clinical research! Clear explanation and comprehensive case study! highly recommended!

51 - 75 of 483 Reviews for Understanding Clinical Research: Behind the Statistics

By Mara H

Apr 11, 2020

Provided a really good overview of what statistics are appropriate to use for specific research questions and data types, plus went over study design a bit. Broken up into short videos which really made it easy to follow the course material in between my other duties. I have recommended this course to others already.

By Diana E V

Jul 02, 2016

This online course is one of the best I have enrolled so far. I paid for earning a certificate and it is worth the money. Some refreshers for statistics and also enables you to expand your knowledge about clinical trials in general. Highly recommended if you are just starting to learn about clinical research.

By Eleanor L

Jun 06, 2016

An excellent introduction to (or refresher of) statistics that pertain to the clinical setting. The two peer-reviewed assignments were very valuable and interesting. My one complaint is that the videos are short, so some lessons are made up of many 2+ minute videos that need to be downloaded separately.

By Diana P

Sep 02, 2016

One of the best courses I've ever had (including classes at my University)...

Starting fro the basics, explaining the difference between numerical, categorical data, discrete and continuous variables, Prof. Klopper gave me a better insight in the subject.

I am extremely grateful.

Kind regards,

Diana

By Eduards K

Sep 19, 2017

Close to perfect introduction in statistics. Uses plenty of examples from open-access publications, and the test questions actually require to apply acquired knowledge instead of just repeating it. Only drawback is, that it's a bit too simple, if your interest in the topic is even slightly deeper.

By Egehan S

Oct 29, 2019

Fantastic course for both medical students and medical professionals alike (and anyone else interested in this field :). Would definitely recommend anyone trying to improve their statistical knowledge. This is a good starting point for anyone planning on conducting their own statistical analyses.

By Pierre-Marie B

Great course, review all the basics, and bring you from beginner to intermediate +++. I strongly recommend. You may need to investigate some concepts outside of this course from time to time to fully understand but Juan Koppler will give you a guideline to finally understand the biostatistics.

By Violeta C

May 22, 2018

It is by far the best course among the various ones that I have followed in Coursera. The explanations are clear and the examples really helpful. The tests and exercices following each lesson are also extremely useful and allow you to realise whether you have understood the lesson or not.

By Tomas A M

Jun 03, 2017

A THRILL of a course, absolutely very well planned & thought, with a great deal of examples, and great examples to build upon (some real case examples). It REALLY helped me finally comprehend the statistics behind trials. Can`t wait to her about an extension or expansion from Dr Klopper!.

By Anesu M

May 07, 2018

So so good! All concepts explained very clearly and concisely. Questions are very good for applying key concepts and assessing understanding. Practice quizzes are very helpful. Wish I had found this course when I first started Medical school - would've saved me A LOT of sleepless nights.

By Wagner S B

Jan 11, 2019

A fantastic intro to the statistics behind clinical research! I haven't done much of my own research, so I am not really familiar with data analysis yet, but the course gave me a great panorama of the basic key concepts and how to think about results more critically. Totally recommend!

By Patricia M F F

May 19, 2019

Fiz esse curso porque precisava revisar alguns conceitos de estatistica. O curso explica bem os tipos de estatistica em artigos científicos, sem muitos detalhes de calculos. Tenho certeza que vou voltar algumas vezes ao curso, para rever detalhes. Valeu muito a pena ter feito o curso.

By Laura M G

Apr 13, 2020

Fantastic course, probably the best lecturer I have seen, very engaging. Course content ideal in terms of challenging but achievable, the tests required real thought, the videos were broken up into bite sized chunks with excellent complementary notes. Very impressed with this course.

By Rosanne P

Feb 15, 2016

Having no knowledge of the actual types of statistical research, I felt I gained a wealth of knowledge that will help me in my social science research as well. I believe that this was a great introductory course, however, I do feel as though it is a more advanced beginner's course.

By Proloy B

Nov 18, 2018

I have taken

"Understanding Clinical Research: Behind the Statistics" course and I found this course very useful and easy to follow critical topics of medical research. The instructions and course materials are well organized. I am greatly benefited from the course. Happy learning!

By BASSAMAH H

Jan 10, 2018

A highly recommended course for colleagues as a refresher of basic statistical concepts and introduction of advanced statistical tools.Dr Juan is a very nice, decent teacher who delivers course in a very effiecient way with less time consumption. Big thanks to Dr Juan and team.

By Felipe K O k

Apr 29, 2020

It's a really nice course, it helped me a lot to be more confident about what i'm seeing when reading a study. It will help you with different doubts: p value, parametric and non parametric test (ANOVA, T TEST, Chi SQAURE...) and specificity and sensivility with diagnosis tests

Jan 01, 2016

Thank you very much Juan, for your time and dedication! You really inspired me to take the path to research in the medical field! I never have had such a high standard course in clinical research! Thanks very much, I feel proud to have had the chance to be one of your students.

By Gene D

Aug 27, 2018

Great refresher's course for those who took Biostat in college or in graduate school and a valuable backgrounder course for those who did not. It helps you navigate the Statistical section of the medical journals while assist you in appreciating the meaning behind the data.

By Sherif M A A A

May 09, 2020

A very systematic course that starts with you from the scratch of types of studies and types of data, and going with you to reach comprehensive understanding of the difficult values and parameters as P-value, confidence interval, odds ratio & types of statistical tests.

By IAN M

May 09, 2018

This course offers a simplified way of understanding the complexities of searching free full-text pubmed articles, study designs, sampling methods, statistical analysis and interpretation of scientific research. I highly recommend it to any clinical research beginner.

By Umi S

I could see that this course will help me with better understanding of statistical parts in clinical research protocols. I always wondered all the statistical terms such as p-value and confidential intervals and this course lead me to find the answers to my wonders.

By Payal S

Jul 17, 2019

This is an excellent course if you are involved in research work or simply want to understand medical literature better. The concepts are presented in a very simple and easy to understand manner with appropriate examples. Thank you Dr Juan for your excellent effort.

By Laura A G A

Really great course to let go of the fear of statistical language. Gives you the necessary tools to adequately understand research papers and the data behind them. Plus gives you a good quick refresh on all research terminology. Understanding statistics made easy.

By Mohammed K

Apr 27, 2019

Excellent course, very well explained and tested the individual appropriately. Covered many topics and although not deeply, it allowed you to understand the basics that will allow you to understand what you are reading and will help you to go further on your path.