Back to Communication Strategies for a Virtual Age

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Communication Strategies for a Virtual Age by University of Toronto

Communication has changed! The traditional rules for speaking and presenting, meeting coordination, influencing people, negotiating and selling ideas no longer apply in a world of skype, messenger, video and teleconference. This course will act as an overview on several concepts each of which could be a course of their own and our goal is to give you tools that you can practice and perfect on your own. By the end of this course, you will be able to: • Apply communication principles and techniques for in-person and virtual teams • Use a science based approach to create impactful presentations • Refine your communication style to better persuade and influence others • Run more effective and impactful meetings • Incorporate strategies to have positive difficult conversations and make people feel valued and listened to *** This course will require you to record yourself speaking. Therefore you must have a phone/computer with a functional camera and microphone.*** WHO SHOULD TAKE THIS COURSE? Anyone looking for professional and/or leadership development. This class mainly uses examples from the professional, business environment. If you are looking to advance at your current organization or to enhancing your personal value for potential employers this course is for you. WHAT MAKES THIS COURSE EFFECTIVE? Many educational experiences describe and explain, but in this course we will apply and demonstrate. We teach practical and proven concepts, show you how to apply them and give you opportunities to practice them in a safe and supportive environment. This course is full of opportunities to put the ideas presented into practice and test their effectiveness for yourself. WHY SHOULD YOU TAKE THIS COURSE? We will challenge the preconceived ideas about what it means to be part of a virtual team, and support you to be a dynamic team contributor no matter where you work. In this course you can expect to be both energized and uncomfortable – like in most experiences that result in positive growth and change! This course is offered through the University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies (https://learn.utoronto.ca/)....

YR

The course was really helpful to strengthen communications skills and I got a chance to learn many new aspects. Thanks a lot for making this course available. I really enjoyed learning something new.

NS

Apr 24, 2020

Sir does a wonderful explaining the topic and imparting his knowledge in this beautifully made course, this has tremendously helped me improve my presentations and communication. Thank you Ivan sir.

1 - 25 of 374 Reviews for Communication Strategies for a Virtual Age

By Jennifer S

Apr 11, 2020

The course was actually fairly good and educational. However, the final assignment requires you to present your presentation to the class...of 20,000+ people. In this age of cybersecurity issues and facial recognition software, I am here to learn and demonstrate that learning, but anonymity is paramount. I don't need my face posted all over the web. I keep my social media settings private for a reason. I suggest this course learn to do the same.

By Carla H

Apr 06, 2020

I've learned some great presentation tips from this course, it allowed me to step out of me comfort zone and I had fun doing it!

By Joan W

This was an excellent course. Ivan Wanis Ruiz was amazing, great instructor. I really enjoyed and learnt a lot from module 4. Learning about Area 47, the Lazy Rule and the Belly Button Rule were all new and are the highlights that I will be walking away with. I am quite confident that I will drastically improve in my presentations.

By Rahul R B

May 01, 2020

This is truly an exceptional communication course. The instructor is the one of the best instructors I've ever seen. His teaching style and his engagement level is brilliant. The course videos are really helpful.

By Nouha B A

Jan 25, 2020

This course was very informative and helpful

By Kai S

Sep 16, 2019

The communication strategies taught in this course were too practical and superficial for my taste. The course features a lot of very basic instructions on how to communicate. While receiving and practicing with a toolbox is certainly always an element in a good course on communication, in my view, I expect a lot more when it comes to communication.

First, what I missed in the course was the role of genuineness and authenticity in communication and how to ensure this in a virtual age. The impression I received of the instructor was that he was at all times very aware of the way he presented and my impression was that that focus was stronger than establishing a connection to the viewers of the video. I would like to see a little more courage to imperfection, for instance.

Second, communication to me is about internalising a certain attitude. As an example, Rosenberg's non-violent communication is based on four steps. However, I will only successfully apply this concept, if I internalise the philosophy and attitude behind the concept and if I can identify with it. Having taken this course, I cannot tell what approach/ attitude/ philosophy is behind it or whether there's a common thread at all.

By Sharmin S

Apr 02, 2020

Well outlined and delivered. I would highly recommend it to anyone who runs a team or online training. It also helped me improve my presentation skills.

By Rebecca A W

Apr 10, 2019

This course was good as an arena to practice your digital presentation skills. There wasn't anything particularly new discussed, but it's good to think about techniques that you may use every day, in a practical, objective way to understand why they are or are not effective.

By Alexander K

Nov 25, 2019

It's a pity there is no initial task similar to the final assignment, so you can feel the difference of what you've learnt from the course. This set of lectures would be really helpful for either managers and their subordinates to communicate effectively, to reach the goals that depend on others, and to get pleasure from the communication. I'm happy I could learn a lot and I'm glad to apply it in practice -- it works!

By SUNY L J A

May 06, 2020

Lovely!! The speaking pace, the dynamics of the topics and the importance of topics have really left a mark in me. When I alternated to a different course and the material was way more dense, it was hard for me to keep the pace, as I´m already used to the rhythm of this course and its lessons.

By Md. S A

Apr 11, 2020

The course is precise and to the point. Ivan is a great instructor, whose style of teaching in this course may even positively influence your own dialogue delivery. By the end of this course, you will have the tools/weapons to master communication both virtually and in reality.

By Md A H

Apr 15, 2020

The Journey was amazing i was never thought about that things that i have learned would beneficial. i truly must say if anyone wants to learn something must start with this.

By Lok M T

Apr 20, 2020

This is the best presentation course I took, and it provides a comprehensive set of useful tips how to doing Ace in presentation at a business setting. Love it!

By Suseela D

May 12, 2020

An interesting and fun ride to the road of effective communication...…..all cheers !

By Maria K

Aug 01, 2019

This was an a very useful introductory lesson for learners working in business or educational field about developing core communicational skills in any professional environment.New basic strategies for communication were taught including necessary techniques for attracting audience's attention and curiosity as well as effective methods for organising groupwork and enhancing team members' interaction. The course was delivered in a dynamic and challenging way by an experienced and highly skilfull professor.The communication with professor for solving issues during the course was prompt and helpful while the professor was very suppotive.I would strongly recommend this lesson to anyone desiring to acquire fundamental communication skills in person and virtually in any scientific field!

By Joessy T

May 01, 2020

This was the perfect course to attend during this challenging time. I felt it spot on with my everyday life and communication. The instructor Ivan is a natural and excellent presenter. I thoroughly enjoyed each topic and the suggested tools to tackle them. The resources and links offered are also incredibly helpful for future reference. I would talk about the course with friends and family who are also interested. So glad I stumbled upon this on LinkedIn!

By Carley S

May 06, 2020

Ivan is an amazing instructor who makes learning easy and engaging! In a few months I will need to engage a group of students online and I cannot wait to utilize some of the things I have learned from this course! It was well worth my time and I think this course is great for almost everyone. It is one that can help you virtually and in-person with co-workers or friends. I highly recommend and wish this course was even longer than the few weeks.

By Celeste S N

This course was excellent from beginning to end! Ivan presented the material in an engaging way and the topics covered are things I often overlook but will definitely give more attention going forward. I was apprehensive about recording myself and sharing it with the class but it turned out to be an eye-opening experience. I recommend this course to anyone interested in developing more effective and efficient communication.

By Anamaría H R

Apr 27, 2020

I totally recommend this course, the tittle doesn't do justice to its content, it is helpful for lots of things: learning how to communicate both in virtual and real world, how to identify peoples motivation by knowing their communication styles, how to make a good presentation by asking the correct questions and giving the exact message and image you want to people. I learned a whole lot!

By Catherine J

This class was outstanding! Professional and aspiring speakers would greatly benefit from this class There is so much I will be using to launch my team building business. Presentations was an important component in my marketing plan. This class was my favorite so far with Coursera. I have so many take aways that I could use for my own professional development and with clients.

By Pablo F C

Apr 28, 2020

I really liked this course, I just wish I had more time to spare to review the course material more in depth but due to my job I can't at the moment. However I learned many different strategies that I can apply when it comes to public speaking, which are especially beneficial to me as I'm a shy person who struggle to make a point sometimes. Thanks.

By Amir A C

This course is absolutely amazing!!! I've never had such a wonderful teacher in the online courses I've experienced. I can't put it in words how awesome he is in teaching and how much you can learn from this course. I learned many many useful and great tips, tools, and knowledge in this course. Thank you soooooo much Mr. Ivan Wanis Ruiz.

By Nilesh C

May 08, 2020

excellent course with lots of reaal time practices. I recommend it to every one who is facing problems in handling virtual teams and Meetings. All the contents are very much Interesting along with supportive Material.

Thank you so much Coursera for providing such a Crucial Course to me.

This course alos has a free certification.

By S A

May 02, 2020

This course provides essential skills that are needed in this virtual age. Having been forced to work from home for weeks, I understand the importance of having the skills offered by this course. I appreciate Prof. Ruiz for his top-notch delivery. Also, thanks to his team that were able to put this together.

By Shallom T

May 13, 2020

Mr. Ivan Wanis Ruiz is an incredible and exceptional lecturer. He breaks down every detail to the knowledge of your understanding and makes it easier for you to follow.I am happy i took this course and i am definitely going to apply it to my daily and career life. Thank you sir for the added knowledge.