Back to Introduction to Communication Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Communication Science by University of Amsterdam

Since Antiquity, scholars have appreciated the importance of communication: as social beings, we cannot exist without communication. We need to interact with people around us, to make sense of the world and to position ourselves in a wider social and cultural reality. In this course, we look at how and why communication evolved as a science and reflect on today’s dominant paradigms. The course also extends beyond the boundaries of communication science itself, exploring dimensions of history, sociology and psychology. Join our class, together with people all over the world. Introduction to Communication Science explores some of the basic theories, models and concepts from the fields of mass, interpersonal and intrapersonal communication. The course begins with a consideration of several basic models, subsequently progressing to the history of communication theory, linear effect-oriented theories, the reception approach and, finally, exploring theories on the production and reinforcement of culture through communication. Upon completion of this course, students should: • have knowledge of the history and development of communication science; • have knowledge of the dominant theoretical approaches within communication science; • have knowledge and understanding of the most important models and concepts in this field. Beginning the week of February 16, 2015, you will be able to join Signature Track, a system that verifies your identity when you take an exam. This option will allow you to earn a Verified Certificate, which provides formal recognition of your achievements in the course and includes the University of Amsterdam logo. Before then, you can complete a “test run” of the exam. You can then re-take the exam after the Verified Certificate becomes available. For information regarding Verified Certificates, see https://courserahelp.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/201212399-Verified-Certificates"...

LS

Feb 21, 2017

This course was incredibly delightful and very helpful, as a media and communication student, this course widened the information I had and helped me with my home university courses. Thank you!

MO

Dec 24, 2018

Great course structure, great professor. This was a very interesting and eye opening course for me, it's well explained and given with so much care of the information. Thank you so much.

1 - 25 of 203 Reviews for Introduction to Communication Science

By Maria E O

Dec 24, 2018

By Lyuda S

Feb 21, 2017

By Mounir A

Jul 08, 2019

Great content, I would have loved more details and the exam to have less questions about memorized names. I want to register in another level 2 course as this mooc has sparked by interest in this science, especially how this science is used in our modern day world to control and manipulate opinions and events.

By xiaoya z

Jan 27, 2019

wonderful courses!

Thanks for the professors and producers!

By Shiang C W

Jan 29, 2019

It's an interesting course! I learned a lot.

By Jiani H

Feb 16, 2019

The course is helpful and the teacher is very nice!

By 李亚星

Mar 02, 2019

a great intro to cs

By María J

Mar 05, 2019

I really loved this course, I enjoyed learning new thing everyday and now i feel prepared for a highschool subject but also to college

By Motisola M A

Mar 09, 2019

Real nice and full of great information about communication. I love the stats review.,

By Shahbaz A K

Mar 13, 2019

Lectures where awasome,course is also nice,put little more content

By Janna

Aug 12, 2018

This is my first time to take courses online. When I completed the courses, I have a more comprehensive understanding of the development and theories of communication science. It really impressed me and I enjoy the class so much. Thank you for your great efforts to offer me such helpful classes!

By Ja V

Sep 02, 2018

the best choice

By Carlos A M G

Aug 21, 2018

A wonderful opportunity to get up to date in the field of communication sciences. Greetings from Bogotá, Colombia!

By Ануфриева А А

Aug 23, 2018

Thank you, It is one of the best course.

By Gert C P

Sep 10, 2018

Fantastic Introduction and wonderfully laid out when I did it. I enjoyed learning about communication and how noise and coding/decoding will stifle communication as well as how understanding these concepts will help people overcome barriers resulting in better, clearer communication.

By Souabou T

Oct 13, 2018

This course is very interesting for me. I am learning many important thinks about communication science. Thank you to Amsterdam University!!!

By Felipe P d C R

Jul 23, 2016

what to say about the Universidade de Amsterdã ? My Congratulations!

By 武昊阳

Sep 30, 2016

我的本科专业是广告学,课程里有传播学概论这门课,但是学校老师也好,教材也好,课堂也好,效果都不好。在coursera学完这门课以后,我才真正对传播学有了一个入门的了解,也产生了继续学习研究的兴趣。感谢!

By JOSÉ L L

Nov 20, 2017

Excelente curso. Muy buenos para estudiantes y profesores de la Carrera de Comunicación. Lo recomiendo

By 王清欢

May 09, 2017

比较基础的传播学历史和理论课。教授很可爱,虽然有口音,不过英语听起来还是很爽。

By Daria B

Sep 29, 2016

It was an awesome course with very relevant material from different scientific perspectives. I am really happy that I took this exactly course. Thank you for fantastic presentations, notes and interactive discussions. It was a real pleasure.

By Городыская А В

May 01, 2018

Thanks

By Nada R

Aug 23, 2016

Loved this course! The University of Amsterdam has one of the world's best communication programs so when I found out that they offer a very short and condenses crash course on Coursera, I had to take it! It's a shame the university doesn't offer other courses regarding different aspects of this field. Would have loved to take more. Regardless, I give this course 5 stars!