Back to Creative Writing: The Craft of Setting and Description

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Creative Writing: The Craft of Setting and Description by Wesleyan University

In this course aspiring writers will be introduced to the techniques that masters of fiction use to ground a story in a concrete world. From the most realist settings to the most fantastical, writers will learn how to describe the physical world in sharp, sensory detail. We will also learn how to build credibility through research, and to use creative meditation exercises to deepen our own understanding of our story worlds, so that our readers can see all that we imagine....

EG
Jul 1, 2020

Great course, it taught me things that I would have never learned otherwise, in this course you must take your time, don't rush, because if you do you will miss the most important points of the curse.

BM
Jan 19, 2021

This was such a wonderful course. I got to learn a lot about strange lands, imaginative description etc. Generally how to set my world and describe it in a convincing manner. I totally recommend it.

276 - 300 of 344 Reviews for Creative Writing: The Craft of Setting and Description

By 19BU1T0017

May 16, 2017

Very good

By Janie A

Aug 1, 2020

I am really enjoying the Creative Writing course, having completed 4 sections, which has helped me tremendously in developing my awareness and writing technique and skills. Now, when I'm reading a book or watching a movie/series, I find myself analyzing the character development, plot structure, etc.

My only criticism of this course is the lack of adherence to instructions by peers when reviewing the work of others. Too often, they simply reply to the review questions with one-word answers. This should somehow be monitored by the course administrators, and they should not receive credit for completing the 3 mandatory reviews in order to proceed with the course, since we as learners rely on constructive feedback.

By Drea H

Oct 21, 2020

I really liked the contents and assignments of the course. It helped me improve my writing. Nevertheless, I think the way peer review is applied in this course needs to be reconsidered. Some people don't seem to take this very seriously or would need more examples of what helpful critiquing is supposed to look like. Unfortunately, this means one doesn't learn much from peer's feedback as quite a few people write just “good” instead of giving real feedback. It's not okay to be able to get a certificate if people don't really do the work that is necessary getting it. Also, it's quite a bummer if you have invested time to write a detailed feedback for someone and get “good” back.

By Sophie S

Aug 6, 2018

I didn't love the videos in this course very much – they just weren't very helpful. They had some interesting thoughts, but for the most part they felt repetitive and for someone who hasn't written much creative writing.

However, I really liked the assignments and peer editing. This course challenged me to think about descriptions I wouldn't have otherwise, and made me think more about how the heart of a story is really in the description and setting. I got a lot more out of challenging myself with the assignments and getting surprising feedback than watching the videos.

By Casey

Mar 17, 2016

I joined late, much too late to participate in many of the assignments with my busy schedule, but I took notes and read all the required reading. From this course I will take into my writing new, helpful skills. My favorite lesson was setting and description where I learned that the environment should not be described frivolously, but through the emotions and opinions of the character(s) who observe them. Thank you very much for your lessons, Amity Gaige, I'm now not as terrible as I was when I first started.

By Adam M

Jul 3, 2020

This was a great course and Amity did a lot to make it as engaging as possible. It stands above most of the other courses in this specialisation due to the fact that there's actually required reading. For some reason 2 of the other courses didn't have this requirement, which seems little absurd to me. It would have been a 5 star review if not for the pitiful peer review system, which plagues every course in this specialisation.

By Sasha M

Aug 2, 2016

The course was inspiring and made me focus on the small details in the environments I create. I think that the professor leans too hard on the quotes and the work of other authors as a core part of the curriculum. It would have been useful to have a breakdown in charts or a checklist to help push our descriptions along. Having said that, the professor seems to care a great deal for her students and that came through clearly.

By Coco

Apr 10, 2019

I liked this course and I learned much. The reason I gave 4 stars is that often it is not clearly explained what exactly was requested in an assignment. I saw that its not only me but many other students had a problem to find out the exact assignment. This problem has obviously existed for the last 3 years and was never corrected. I encourage the students to find their answers - at least partly - in the discussion forums.