Back to Creative Writing: The Craft of Setting and Description

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Creative Writing: The Craft of Setting and Description by Wesleyan University

In this course aspiring writers will be introduced to the techniques that masters of fiction use to ground a story in a concrete world. From the most realist settings to the most fantastical, writers will learn how to describe the physical world in sharp, sensory detail. We will also learn how to build credibility through research, and to use creative meditation exercises to deepen our own understanding of our story worlds, so that our readers can see all that we imagine....

EG
Jul 1, 2020

Great course, it taught me things that I would have never learned otherwise, in this course you must take your time, don't rush, because if you do you will miss the most important points of the curse.

BM
Jan 19, 2021

This was such a wonderful course. I got to learn a lot about strange lands, imaginative description etc. Generally how to set my world and describe it in a convincing manner. I totally recommend it.

301 - 325 of 332 Reviews for Creative Writing: The Craft of Setting and Description

By Maya K

Oct 12, 2016

The creative writing series of classes have been extremely enjoyable. The classes are very well organized, the pace of the work was perfect for me. Wish there were another series of classes I could take.

By Shalini N

Jul 11, 2018

A good course a lot of learning. Except for the last week when there was nothing in depth. Also the last two assignments overlap??? The first three weeks were otherwise really great.

By Roy N

Jan 25, 2018

This was a very solid course. It introduced me to perspectives I hadn't heard before. I think my writing has improved because of the course. I am a lot better at setting my scenes.

By arya k s

Apr 2, 2018

This course makes you see your surroundings, it takes you back to your childhood and urges you to gather information from everywhere and tell it in a compelling manner.

By Karen R

Mar 3, 2018

At times the assignment title or the assignment itself didn't seem to fit the lesson for the week but the lessons were intriguing and got me thinking and writing!

By Sandra D

Feb 17, 2019

Good course overall. Assignments are challenging. I think more study material could be added in the course to make it more interesting.

By ANGEL Y S V

Aug 27, 2020

Me ayudó mucho a mejorar mis descripciones. Siempre he tenido problemas con eso, así que estoy muy contento con el resultado.

By Dawn S

Jun 2, 2016

This is great course for challenging your perceptions of things and encouraging you to try out different perspectives.

By Sharon

Apr 2, 2016

I enjoyed learning about how to create a vitamin rich unit of fiction and the importance of specific words.

By Abrar A A

Mar 23, 2018

love the professor n her approach to writing... some of the best n practical exercises I did in writing

By Ian B

Jul 4, 2017

Great course for getting into the nitty gritty of how your story should feel. Enjoyed it thoroughly.

By Lubaba A

Mar 16, 2017

it's amazing course that gave you a new point of view for writing and a very good training

By Bridgit

Nov 14, 2018

The Course is very good. I would like more assignments and tutor's grades

By Rima A

Mar 24, 2018

this course is really great. it helps you to think out of the box

By Sumit S

Jan 24, 2019

Helped marginally, visible change in my writing. I'm very happy.

By Thangella S

Nov 9, 2020

The course was good and Amity Ma'am is a good teacher

By Paulo S

Jan 8, 2018

It helped me a lot. Has good lesson content

By Eternally P

Apr 27, 2020

Awesome course, awesome professors

By Perni

Nov 1, 2016

Great knowledge. Time consuming.

By Lisa D

Apr 30, 2018

This class was fun and helpful.

By Ritupriya G

Apr 20, 2016

Very good course, thanks!

By Diana G

Nov 23, 2020

very useful and fun

By Gunn Y

Jun 17, 2020

One word: Plagiarism. This course was rather inspiring and taught me numerous amounts of skills for my future career. But, the problem was the peer-graded assignments. There were some people who did this course for the certificate and used a skill not taught in this course called: plagiarism. For example, BEHARA SAI SWESHIKA copied off my own assignment, and also plagiarised the instructor's "INSTRUCTIONS'. It was disgusting reading a plagiarised writing piece. Even more, grading my own writing piece that was said that it was written by BEHARA SAI SWESHIKA.

By Anne M

Jan 26, 2021

I got a lot out of the videos and exercises but other course features are not useful... no one participates in discussions and there are no teachers present. Don’t expect to get proper peer reviews. Most students do perfunctory reviews of a word or two just to pass through the automated system. Also, this is NOT an instructor led course... it’s just videos and exercises. It looks like there are supposed to be monitors but I didn’t see any evidence of participation from them. With that said, if you are a self-directed learner you’ll learn.

By Shay S

Nov 4, 2020

Honestly I know many of us are frustrated with the poor reviews. Week to week I get at least one good reviewer that actually understands the assignment and provide great feedback, so I’m happy for that.

You have to just focus on working on your craft and not be so consumed with the feedback because due to coursera not managing the feedback it will always be lacking in that area.

Coursera should group writers week to week so that we can communicate back and forth. That would help with the managing of poor reviews.