Back to Creative Writing: The Craft of Setting and Description

Creative Writing: The Craft of Setting and Description, Wesleyan University

About this Course

In this course aspiring writers will be introduced to the techniques that masters of fiction use to ground a story in a concrete world. From the most realist settings to the most fantastical, writers will learn how to describe the physical world in sharp, sensory detail. We will also learn how to build credibility through research, and to use creative meditation exercises to deepen our own understanding of our story worlds, so that our readers can see all that we imagine....

By DP

Jul 18, 2018

This course gave a real depth to the importance of describing your character's environment, as a way of deepening and exciting them. excellent work on imagining your characters in the environment

By JW

Jan 27, 2018

The course was very well organized and quite challenging. Each week gave me the opportunity to develop a piece which I have further developed into longer pieces which I am looking at publishing.

184 Reviews

By Laura Beegle

Dec 11, 2018

Good exercises, good instruction. The examples and readings were perfect to reinforce what the instructor was talking about.

By Judy Wanjiku Wanderi Jørgensen

Dec 03, 2018

I have learned invaluable skills in creating a setting and description of characters, places, time and location. The course materials were easy to follow, and the assignments were very challenging but overall rewarding.

By Leo J Ryan

Nov 26, 2018

Another great class! Lectures were insightful, assignments interesting and feedback from classmates helpful.

By Brigitte Pace

Nov 14, 2018

The Course is very good. I would like more assignments and tutor's grades

By Renan Alejandro Salvador Lozano Cuervo

Nov 12, 2018

Favourite one so far!

By Jeanne Baer

Nov 05, 2018

Deeply insightful and helpful. I am a beginner at writing fiction and the course both gave me techniques I was able to apply and then realise I can actually do this!

By Madhu Sreedhar

Nov 05, 2018

THis was a short course, I liked it. Assignments were challenging and unique.

By Amanda Pereira Santos

Oct 22, 2018

Agradeço pela oportunidade de concluir o curso com bolsa! Com certeza vai agregar muito na minha carreira profissional.

By Adrienna M Ogin

Oct 17, 2018

Really great information, and a good start to learning about the craft of writing.

By P. E. King

Oct 15, 2018

It was a treat hearing from Ms. Gaige, one of my all-time favorite writers.