Back to Creative Writing: The Craft of Setting and Description

Creative Writing: The Craft of Setting and Description, Wesleyan University

About this Course

In this course aspiring writers will be introduced to the techniques that masters of fiction use to ground a story in a concrete world. From the most realist settings to the most fantastical, writers will learn how to describe the physical world in sharp, sensory detail. We will also learn how to build credibility through research, and to use creative meditation exercises to deepen our own understanding of our story worlds, so that our readers can see all that we imagine....

By DP

Jul 18, 2018

This course gave a real depth to the importance of describing your character's environment, as a way of deepening and exciting them. excellent work on imagining your characters in the environment

By CZ

Mar 27, 2018

Excellent course- highly recommended. I liked how it tied into other courses in the series as well. I took many notes, and plan on revisiting the course during my writings to refresh some ideas.

211 Reviews

By Robert Garlington

Apr 18, 2019

Excellent course, very informative and interactive. Amity is a wonderful facilitator of the course, her passion and commitment to writing can be sensed in every word of advice she offers. The course is well-balanced in its offerings, exercises, 1-on-1 discussions and assignments. Because of this course, I will most likely continue to look at others in this "writing series".

Robert Garlington

By Coco

Apr 10, 2019

I liked this course and I learned much. The reason I gave 4 stars is that often it is not clearly explained what exactly was requested in an assignment. I saw that its not only me but many other students had a problem to find out the exact assignment. This problem has obviously existed for the last 3 years and was never corrected. I encourage the students to find their answers - at least partly - in the discussion forums.

By Esha Banerjee

Apr 02, 2019

Thoroughly enjoyed the course. I feel what I have learnt in this course will take my writing to a new level.

By Frankie White

Mar 30, 2019

I love how Amity explained everything and the assignments and peer responses where wonderful. I got some great feedback and cannot wait to move further with my novel! Thank you everyone, and thank you so much to Amity for taking the time to put together your thoughts into a class!

By AMIR REZA ASADI

Mar 28, 2019

very helpful

By Karena Andrusyshyn

Mar 26, 2019

THis course showed a different perspective of writing fiction than what I have done in the past. Nice.

By SHI

Mar 26, 2019

slow motion, significant detail, about genre or style, the perspective of the auto-biography for the contenu;

the discussion about the cours among the students;

the interview of the others writers was woundeful;

also the moment for us the student to think, to meditate, to read, and then to write, all this like the real class.

By John Lanthier

Mar 25, 2019

I recently completed the 5-course specialization in creative writing. For the most part the course material presented was good, especially the courses on plot, on setting, and on style. The course on characterization was a little vague. From the syllabus, it looked like it would be a good course, but the instructor did not follow the syllabus and was often very unfocussed in her presentation.

The weakness with this specialization is that all the feedback to the writer is provided by peers in the course. This I found very disappointing. Many of the other students were honestly very poor writers, and as a result, the feedback I received on my assignments was very superficial. In addition, rather than being able to learn from reading the writing of others, I found for the most part that the pieces submitted by others were very lacking.

If you take this course, know that it will provide you some good information about writing fiction, but the feedback you receive on your assignments will not help you learn. You will need to find another peer group of writers to help you with that.

By Nelly Latypova

Mar 17, 2019

Engaging! Intelligent! Boosting!

By Vasiliki Lenis

Mar 14, 2019

Great course - the challenges presented force you to write better!