Back to Creative Writing: The Craft of Setting and Description

Creative Writing: The Craft of Setting and Description, Wesleyan University

About this Course

In this course aspiring writers will be introduced to the techniques that masters of fiction use to ground a story in a concrete world. From the most realist settings to the most fantastical, writers will learn how to describe the physical world in sharp, sensory detail. We will also learn how to build credibility through research, and to use creative meditation exercises to deepen our own understanding of our story worlds, so that our readers can see all that we imagine....

By DP

Jul 18, 2018

This course gave a real depth to the importance of describing your character's environment, as a way of deepening and exciting them. excellent work on imagining your characters in the environment

By JW

Jan 27, 2018

The course was very well organized and quite challenging. Each week gave me the opportunity to develop a piece which I have further developed into longer pieces which I am looking at publishing.

199 Reviews

By Sandra Ding

Feb 17, 2019

Good course overall. Assignments are challenging. I think more study material could be added in the course to make it more interesting.

By Joe McGuire

Feb 11, 2019

Each step I take along this specialization gives me more and more to think about. This course continued to expand my knowledge on the writing process and helped me hone my skills a little more.

By William Chill

Feb 02, 2019

Fantastic course. Amity Gaige is a good instructor with a lot of good information to share, not mention she is a very beautiful woman.

By xiaoqiang

Jan 29, 2019

aworesome course !

By Jeff

Jan 24, 2019

Content was great, the app and peer feedback could be improved on

By Naina Sahay

Jan 24, 2019

Helped marginally, visible change in my writing. I'm very happy.

By Cornelia Bosman

Jan 23, 2019

I must say we earned this certificate - hard work, interactive and full of bits to chew on. Amity Guage had us participate, think out of the box and on the edge of our creative seats. Well done and a must take.

By LeAttol (Robert Ellis Langford)

Jan 18, 2019

In regards to the specialization, I found the Brando Skyhorse course more "technical" but this course seems to evoke talent from students. The peer grading was a pleasure to do. -leattol

By MAGZ MORGAN

Jan 17, 2019

I really loved this course and could see where I needed to improve and how to do it. The authors/ instructors were very clear and stimulating and I have been reading THEIR BOOKS, too!!!!

By Hector M. Castaneda Langlois

Jan 09, 2019

Amity is an excellent guide. The exercises are fun and match the lessons you are taking. I really enjoyed the course and feel it improved my attention to detail in my writing. I also liked the part about research which before I didn't do much of. Now I am very aware of learning about my settings and subjects before writing about them. Thanks!