Back to Creative Writing: The Craft of Setting and Description

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Creative Writing: The Craft of Setting and Description by Wesleyan University

In this course aspiring writers will be introduced to the techniques that masters of fiction use to ground a story in a concrete world. From the most realist settings to the most fantastical, writers will learn how to describe the physical world in sharp, sensory detail. We will also learn how to build credibility through research, and to use creative meditation exercises to deepen our own understanding of our story worlds, so that our readers can see all that we imagine....

EG
Jul 1, 2020

Great course, it taught me things that I would have never learned otherwise, in this course you must take your time, don't rush, because if you do you will miss the most important points of the curse.

AM
Jan 19, 2021

This was such a wonderful course. I got to learn a lot about strange lands, imaginative description etc. Generally how to set my world and describe it in a convincing manner. I totally recommend it.

126 - 150 of 361 Reviews for Creative Writing: The Craft of Setting and Description

By Matthias N Y

Mar 27, 2018

I liked the course. It great, and the instructor have awaken my gift of writing especially she asked me to write about my primal landscape. I need her email to talk to her Please.

By Aecio d B V N

Aug 6, 2017

I liked the course very much. It was very useful to give some insights on the importance of description not only to "paint the picture", but to help tell the story. I like it!

By Eliana H

Dec 19, 2019

It was an amazing experience like the rest of the courses in this program. I´ve learn to be more patient, do research and introspection. I think my work is really better now.

By Andreea S

Dec 21, 2017

Amazing course and instructor! Thank you so much for all your wisdom, the challenging exercises and for an all-round great experience. Looking forward to the Capstone course!

By judy t

Jul 5, 2019

I have learned so much and made great progress. This might be just the beginning for me in an endeavor I have always wanted to explore. Coursera got me started. Thank you

By Evita K

Aug 15, 2018

I absolutely loved this course and it taught me how to better describe a setting and where I've gone too much in detail and where I could explore and focus more :) Thanks!

By Jillian K

Dec 5, 2017

This course was an excellent blend of basics and simple intense assignments to practice the concepts learned. I enjoyed every course in the Creative Writing Specialization

By Carreen P

Nov 23, 2017

Ms. Gaige is very efficient and effective. Her course showed me how to improve my observation of our environment and use it to draw the reader into the story. Very useful.

By Chew W Y

Jul 22, 2016

Great course and exciting writing assignments! The peer reviews were mostly constructive and the instructor was clear and brought her learnings across. Highly recommended!

By Sebastien M

Oct 19, 2017

Looking at my writing in a more in depth way, this course challenged me to complete 4 more pieces for my portfolio which is not just growing, but improving all the time.

By 申畅月

Oct 5, 2020

I had great experience here and the tutor is really nice! Most comments I received here are objective and helpful, I built a little confidence now. Thank you very much.

By VAIBHAV Y

Jul 20, 2017

I really enjoyed this course and learned a lot. I also liked the fact that Amity gave selected readings to read which she thought might be important and helpful for us.

By Jeanne B

Nov 5, 2018

Deeply insightful and helpful. I am a beginner at writing fiction and the course both gave me techniques I was able to apply and then realise I can actually do this!

By Holly M

Jul 9, 2018

Amity Gaige is a really good instructor. I've taken three courses for this specialization so far and she's one of the best instructors. I really enjoyed this course.

By Tina M

Jul 31, 2017

I think this was my favorite module because it's an area I suffered from. My books are heavy on dialogue and suck in setting. This will change with my next project.

By Zsuzsanna J

May 10, 2016

I have learnt so much about description and about power of meditation. I recommend this course for everybody who would like to show his or her world to the Readers.

By Christina C

Jan 11, 2021

Very helpful and interesting course taught by an extremely knowledgable professor!! The course expanded my horizons and enhanced my writing abilities!! Thank you!!

By Aurelija M

Sep 27, 2016

Amity Gaige quickly became one of my favourite tutors. I enjoyed all the meditation parts so much that it made me rethink how research should be done. Thank you!

By Pam N

Sep 18, 2017

The instructor is personable, imaginative, and engaging. I loved the individual lessons in this course. I would highly recommend it to anyone learning to write.

By Nevil M

Sep 20, 2018

Thanks Amity,

For making me realize to use and bring all of my five senses even the sixth one alive in the writing... hopefully it will all come alive

Rgds,

Nev.

By Federico B S

May 30, 2018

This is a great course. You can tell the instructor loves writing and also has a great sense of what setting and description require. I highly recommend it.

By Anusha N

Aug 10, 2019

The best instructor in this course. Teaches with clarity, passion and compassion and sets some of the most complicated, interesting briefs for assignments.

By Taneka A

Sep 13, 2020

I really liked this course. It helped me develop my stories and if your a beginner at writing It breaks down what you have to do to become a great writer.

By Alessandro S

Dec 31, 2016

I really liked this course because it contained a lot of reading material and made me practice on various aspects of setting writing. My favourite so far.

By Sourodeep C

Jul 8, 2020

A great course to learn the fundamentals and think deeply. The assignments are challenging to give in your best, thought provoking. Loved it thoroughly