Back to Creative Writing: The Craft of Setting and Description

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Creative Writing: The Craft of Setting and Description by Wesleyan University

In this course aspiring writers will be introduced to the techniques that masters of fiction use to ground a story in a concrete world. From the most realist settings to the most fantastical, writers will learn how to describe the physical world in sharp, sensory detail. We will also learn how to build credibility through research, and to use creative meditation exercises to deepen our own understanding of our story worlds, so that our readers can see all that we imagine....

EG
Jul 1, 2020

Great course, it taught me things that I would have never learned otherwise, in this course you must take your time, don't rush, because if you do you will miss the most important points of the curse.

DP
Jul 17, 2018

This course gave a real depth to the importance of describing your character's environment, as a way of deepening and exciting them. excellent work on imagining your characters in the environment

151 - 175 of 329 Reviews for Creative Writing: The Craft of Setting and Description

By Divya J

Sep 10, 2020

I really like the course. You are absolutely great as a professor. I like the choice of your assignments. Great Job. love you Divya

By ANKIT M

Oct 4, 2020

This was my favourite course in the whole specialization because I love the way Amity Gaige Mam teaches and I enjoyed writing.

By Laura B

Dec 11, 2018

Good exercises, good instruction. The examples and readings were perfect to reinforce what the instructor was talking about.

By HITANSHU C

Oct 12, 2020

I have a suggestion. The week 4 assignment has blunt questions for peer review. They seem to ask same things over and over.

By Luke H

Oct 15, 2020

Each and every course in the Creative Writing: Specialization is inspiring and made to teach more efficiently than others.

By Ana S A C

Aug 13, 2016

This was a difficult one for me but incredibly useful, I really needed it as a writer in order to create great settings.

By Björn S

Jun 11, 2020

I believe this was my favorite part of the course so far. I really loved the exercises and enjoyed reading the reviews.

By Amanda P S

Oct 22, 2018

Agradeço pela oportunidade de concluir o curso com bolsa! Com certeza vai agregar muito na minha carreira profissional.

By Maihaa R

Sep 9, 2016

Amity Gage is an excellent Instructor with helpful tips and information regarding The Craft of Setting and Description.

By Neha P

May 3, 2016

Gives out clear understanding. The choices of reference books are interesting, especially 'The Odour of Chrysanthmums'

By Jose D d O F

Feb 25, 2018

This course is awesome, it made me think about setting and description in a whole new way. The material is just great.

By Gabriela R

Jul 17, 2016

My favorite of the specialization. Rich in information, challenging and engaging assignments, and nuggets of wisdom.

By Juan S P S

Aug 26, 2020

It's a thought-provoking course, suitable and helpful for anyone who is interested in develop good writing skills

By Eneida A M

Dec 14, 2016

In this course I practiced an exercise that changed forever my way of writing a setting description. I loved it!

By Srinivas R

Jun 26, 2017

Taught me how to slow time down, be more observant, engage all the senses and immerse the reader into the story

By Stephanie K

Mar 22, 2017

This was so helpful in getting over significant roadblocks with ongoing work, and getting me to write new work.

By swapna g

Nov 16, 2019

The class was very helpful. I learnt the art of using physical details to make my story vivid and interesting.

By Fernanda B

Oct 25, 2017

This teacher is the best. Even though I recommemd all courses, I love Amity. She never lets us lose our focus.

By Anna V

Nov 28, 2016

the most informative and most structured out of all Creative Writing Specialization courses so far. Thank you!

By Esha B

Apr 2, 2019

Thoroughly enjoyed the course. I feel what I have learnt in this course will take my writing to a new level.

By Leo J R

Nov 26, 2018

Another great class! Lectures were insightful, assignments interesting and feedback from classmates helpful.

By Anne B

Jun 6, 2019

Challenging, very useful course, gives me the confidence to dig into my imagination and improve my writing.

By Heather F R

Aug 31, 2016

Excellent course. I learned a lot. Amity Gaige is a terrific instructor. I enjoyed her method of teaching.

By Amanda C

Sep 13, 2016

A great course to get you thinking about the what and where of your story. I highly recommend this course.

By Atharva D N

Jun 28, 2020

The course was very interesting and very helpful. I learned so many things in this course, thanks a lot.