Back to Creative Writing: The Craft of Setting and Description

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Creative Writing: The Craft of Setting and Description by Wesleyan University

In this course aspiring writers will be introduced to the techniques that masters of fiction use to ground a story in a concrete world. From the most realist settings to the most fantastical, writers will learn how to describe the physical world in sharp, sensory detail. We will also learn how to build credibility through research, and to use creative meditation exercises to deepen our own understanding of our story worlds, so that our readers can see all that we imagine....

EG
Jul 1, 2020

Great course, it taught me things that I would have never learned otherwise, in this course you must take your time, don't rush, because if you do you will miss the most important points of the curse.

AM
Jan 19, 2021

This was such a wonderful course. I got to learn a lot about strange lands, imaginative description etc. Generally how to set my world and describe it in a convincing manner. I totally recommend it.

151 - 175 of 361 Reviews for Creative Writing: The Craft of Setting and Description

By lisa r

Jun 17, 2016

I am thoroughly enjoying this course. There is the right mix of close reading, difficult assignments and thought provoking conversations with authors.

By Vasanth K

Oct 21, 2020

Amity Gaige is hands-down the best instructor in this overall specialization. Her assignment are also very creative and helps you learn the craft.

By Ana H

Jul 9, 2018

The professor's knowledge was very useful to me. I would recommend this to any aspiring writer or just someone who wants to analyze novels better.

By Nada D

Aug 7, 2016

Really instructive course and exceptional teaching, discussion boards were a bit barren but maybe that was due to the lack of mentors at the time.

By Michelle R

I appreciated the instructors extra effort and words to the students. I felt as if she really cared about her craft and wanted us to do the same.

By Berta-Isabel C Á

Jun 1, 2018

Thanks Amity,

I found the course enjoyable and very instructive.

I like your tutotials in video the most as well as writing the Assignments.

Best,

BI

By Kinley L

Nov 15, 2020

I loved this creative writing course very much and it was a good as well as knowledgeable learning for me. Hope I become more familiar with it

By Nataliia S

Oct 24, 2019

Very interesting and informative. I liked the teacher's approach to bringing the information to students. I totally recommend this course!

By Paulo B

Feb 12, 2018

Like every other course of the Creative Writing Specialization, a profound revelation of the craft, in this case, setting and description.

By Susan K

Jul 23, 2020

This course was excellent! The content was clear and actionable, and I really enjoyed the instructor's conversational style and warmth.

By William C

Feb 2, 2019

Fantastic course. Amity Gaige is a good instructor with a lot of good information to share, not mention she is a very beautiful woman.

By Ibrahim N

Jan 2, 2017

An excellent course under the mentorship of Amity Gaige. She is a gorgeous mentor. I learned a lot of new things! Thank you very much.

By Divya J

Sep 10, 2020

I really like the course. You are absolutely great as a professor. I like the choice of your assignments. Great Job. love you Divya

By September L

Feb 11, 2021

This was outstanding! I got so much inspiration to dive into description and setting. One of my favorite in the specialization!

By ANKIT M

Oct 4, 2020

This was my favourite course in the whole specialization because I love the way Amity Gaige Mam teaches and I enjoyed writing.

By Laura B

Dec 11, 2018

Good exercises, good instruction. The examples and readings were perfect to reinforce what the instructor was talking about.

By HITANSHU C

Oct 12, 2020

I have a suggestion. The week 4 assignment has blunt questions for peer review. They seem to ask same things over and over.

By Luke H

Oct 15, 2020

Each and every course in the Creative Writing: Specialization is inspiring and made to teach more efficiently than others.

By Ana S A C

Aug 13, 2016

This was a difficult one for me but incredibly useful, I really needed it as a writer in order to create great settings.

By Björn S

Jun 11, 2020

I believe this was my favorite part of the course so far. I really loved the exercises and enjoyed reading the reviews.

By Amanda P S

Oct 22, 2018

Agradeço pela oportunidade de concluir o curso com bolsa! Com certeza vai agregar muito na minha carreira profissional.

By Maihaa R

Sep 9, 2016

Amity Gage is an excellent Instructor with helpful tips and information regarding The Craft of Setting and Description.

By Neha P

May 3, 2016

Gives out clear understanding. The choices of reference books are interesting, especially 'The Odour of Chrysanthmums'

By Jose D d O F

Feb 25, 2018

This course is awesome, it made me think about setting and description in a whole new way. The material is just great.

By Gabriela R

Jul 17, 2016

My favorite of the specialization. Rich in information, challenging and engaging assignments, and nuggets of wisdom.