Back to Creative Writing: The Craft of Setting and Description

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Creative Writing: The Craft of Setting and Description by Wesleyan University

In this course aspiring writers will be introduced to the techniques that masters of fiction use to ground a story in a concrete world. From the most realist settings to the most fantastical, writers will learn how to describe the physical world in sharp, sensory detail. We will also learn how to build credibility through research, and to use creative meditation exercises to deepen our own understanding of our story worlds, so that our readers can see all that we imagine....

EG
Jul 1, 2020

Great course, it taught me things that I would have never learned otherwise, in this course you must take your time, don't rush, because if you do you will miss the most important points of the curse.

AM
Jan 19, 2021

This was such a wonderful course. I got to learn a lot about strange lands, imaginative description etc. Generally how to set my world and describe it in a convincing manner. I totally recommend it.

101 - 125 of 362 Reviews for Creative Writing: The Craft of Setting and Description

By Judy W W J

Dec 3, 2018

I have learned invaluable skills in creating a setting and description of characters, places, time and location. The course materials were easy to follow, and the assignments were very challenging but overall rewarding.

By Dennis M

Mar 29, 2018

I think this is my favourite of the writing courses so far. The first two courses are good, and instruct you what to write. This third course gives instructions on how to write, and I feel I get the most from it.

By Cornelia B

Jan 22, 2019

I must say we earned this certificate - hard work, interactive and full of bits to chew on. Amity Guage had us participate, think out of the box and on the edge of our creative seats. Well done and a must take.

By Inés K

Dec 20, 2018

This course is great. The mix of video, reading, questions to reflect on, assignments that are given on video (not just text) is just perfect. It feels more interactive that way. Amity Gage is doing a great job.

By Gabriel T

Apr 25, 2016

Amity was nice. I liked the way she presented the materials the the instructions for the assignments.

It would be nice to see more feedback from the staff. This is was the majority of the peers were expecting.

By Patricia H V R

Aug 22, 2020

The concepts provided by the course are basic to advance in the process of forging the path of letters and enable technical growth for beginning writers. El curso fue enriquecedor. The course was enriching.

By Aliya F S

Aug 19, 2020

I loved the course. The best part is that I wrote every single week! This was so motivating! Honestly do not want the courses to end. I am actually sad that I finished all 4 courses in this specialization ://

By Lilac g

Feb 8, 2021

The course was engaging and encouraging. Amiti is a great teacher that motivates and pushes and pulls in the exact amount needed (for me) to motivate for action and still feel confident. Wonderful course.

By Loukas P

Apr 11, 2021

This course helped me very much about the setting and description. This part of creative writing was the most difficult for me and I am so happy that I had the chance to study about it. Thank you Amity!

By John T

May 30, 2021

F​antastic course, part of a fantastic certification. So practical, doable and understandable, I can't see anyone not being sure of their ability to write fiction after taking it.

I highly recommend it.

By Ernesto I G B

Jul 1, 2020

By Couchhealthandfitness K T

Jan 20, 2021

By Donald S P

Jul 18, 2018

This course gave a real depth to the importance of describing your character's environment, as a way of deepening and exciting them. excellent work on imagining your characters in the environment

By Sarah A

Nov 19, 2019

The teacher, Amity Gaige, was an engaging and informative guide. The exercises were challenging and revealing. I liked having readings. They were great examples of writing strategies to emulate.

By Sasha D

May 1, 2021

This is my favorite writing course in the Weslyan writing courses. Amity is such a powerful and imaginatively inspiring teacher. Take this course to challenge your senses and elevate your work!

By Luana B

Aug 17, 2016

This course was awesome. Every assignment was really challenging and the classes were so interesting. I think it was the best course in this specialization. Thank you very much to the teacher!

By Tania R F

Oct 29, 2019

I enjoyed this course very much; Amity was a great instructor, and I loved how she incorporated some readings into it. I found the course very useful, and only wish it could have been longer.

By Edith-Marie R

Sep 30, 2016

I really liked how the videos set up the assignments and enjoyed the assignments themselves. They worked really well for a couple different projects I'm working on -- so useful and versatile.

By B E

Jan 20, 2021

The instructor is excellent. I would have like to stretch myself a little more in assignments, but overall, I thoroughly enjoyed the entire course and feel it helped me improve my writing.

By Alejandro M G M

Jun 16, 2018

Very fun and helpful, thank you so much for the opportunity and the financial Aid. I feel this entire specialization has been great, demanding and inspiring. See you in the next course c :

By Bruce A

Nov 22, 2020

Some of the assignments were challenging, and I learned a lot about writing and reading in this course. Highly recommend for anyone who is interesting in stretching their writing skills.

By MAGZ M

Jan 17, 2019

I really loved this course and could see where I needed to improve and how to do it. The authors/ instructors were very clear and stimulating and I have been reading THEIR BOOKS, too!!!!

By Max H

Jul 3, 2017

I really like Amity Gaige as an instructor. Her methods are easy to follow, her assignments difficult but not insurmountable, and she talks with a vigor that glues you to her videos.

By Linda T

Jul 7, 2020

I feel that the assignments in the course helped me to better visualize the scenes I write about and to better describe those scenes in writing. Looking forward to the next course.

By Alisa P

Jul 12, 2018

A great course full of practical tools! I've truly enjoyed the class content, writing the assignments and wonderful Amity Gaige. Everyone should take this course! Thank you, Amity!