Back to Creative Writing: The Craft of Setting and Description

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Creative Writing: The Craft of Setting and Description by Wesleyan University

In this course aspiring writers will be introduced to the techniques that masters of fiction use to ground a story in a concrete world. From the most realist settings to the most fantastical, writers will learn how to describe the physical world in sharp, sensory detail. We will also learn how to build credibility through research, and to use creative meditation exercises to deepen our own understanding of our story worlds, so that our readers can see all that we imagine....

EG
Jul 1, 2020

Great course, it taught me things that I would have never learned otherwise, in this course you must take your time, don't rush, because if you do you will miss the most important points of the curse.

BM
Jan 19, 2021

This was such a wonderful course. I got to learn a lot about strange lands, imaginative description etc. Generally how to set my world and describe it in a convincing manner. I totally recommend it.

76 - 100 of 344 Reviews for Creative Writing: The Craft of Setting and Description

By Hui J H

May 24, 2019

I had to read this one instead of watch it but it was excellent and informative. I fully agree on the topic of treating setting as important as a character in its own right, because of all the media that has really demonstrated this. Spot on advice, love the lessons!

By Ole D J

Feb 19, 2018

Awesome course.

Can feel the missing pieces slowly fall together in my writing for every assignment.

So happy this and other related courses were made available on Coursera.

Will mention the author as well as this course in my first book if I manage to get it published.

By MPEARSALL

Mar 14, 2017

Excellent. I truly enjoyed the content, the tasks, the feedback, and the instructor's ability to engage learners. I perceived Mrs. Gaige as a natural motivator and a great facilitator.

Thank you so much for your time. Mrs. Amity Gaige.

Sincerely, Maria Barreto

By Cora B

Mar 30, 2016

I enjoyed the course of setting and description as this is an area I particularly enjoy and so it was a great learning experience and a chance for me to enhance my description and setting skills and Amaity Gaige really gave you a free hand at doing this.

By Homer W

Sep 18, 2018

The course emphasizes the importance of believable writing. Choices in narrative voice are studied to describe scenes and characters with research to flush out what has happened, who is present, where and what is anticipated in a story. Good course.

By Michelle K

Mar 17, 2016

I really liked Amity's style- a great presenter, great voice and very encouraging. She also really got into the meat of the subject. And her assignments were a challenge but really enjoyable. I have found out things about my writing in this course!

By Ashish N

It was by far the best course in this specialization for me. Amity Gaige's teaching methods were lucid and very engaging. She allowed us to act like a sponge and soak in all the gems she had collected over the years. Really a grateful experience.

By Melky P

Jul 20, 2020

The assignments given are quite challenging but at the end of the day I'm surprised to find the quality of my writing improved. What makes me happier is when I received a positive feedback and credits from my close friends who ready my stories.

By Chaz G

Dec 18, 2016

I enjoyed everything about this course. I found every module extremely helpful along with all of the feedback I received from my peers. The exercises were extremely enjoyable and creative. This has been an excellent course through and through.

By Mary C

Apr 4, 2017

Excellent, of course! This segment made a huge difference for me. It completely changed how I look at writing in terms of using specific details to describe a setting that fits the mood and movement of what I'm writing. I loved this lesson!

By Jayne B

Dec 29, 2016

So far, this is my favorite module. I can tell my writing is improving & am grateful for the thoughtful instruction. I would like some Instructor input, not just peers, however. That would be an amazing bonus to an already wonderful course!

By Khushboo K

Nov 2, 2020

Amity Gaige keeps the attention of the learner in tact. I did not get distract for even a second in all Video lessons by Amity Gaige. I could feel what she was trying to make us learn. Thank you so much Amity. You are a passionate teacher.

By Jai P

Aug 9, 2019

I found this to be better than the first two courses in the specialization. The instruction is detailed, focused and precise, unlike the others. Would highly recommend for those who want to improve their descriptive writing. Excellent!

By William I H

Oct 12, 2017

This course helped me think more about how I describe and use details of the space the story occupies, thereby putting the reader into the story with the characters. Very well presented and the reading materials were excellent. Thanks!

By Noha D

Nov 23, 2017

Great great course, Amity Gaige has a great charisma, clearly explains ideas, inspires and influences writers, along with interesting readings suggestions, and i liked how she personally presented the assignments.

Thanks Amity :) <3

By Rachel N

Oct 5, 2020

Leaving a mark in your reader means your story combines all that I learned about accurate setting and description. It's also about creating an authentic reading experience. I enjoyed the course and found new authors to follow/ read.

By Amanda K

Feb 18, 2017

This was a great course. I feel like I learned a lot and was able to expand my writing abilities in ways I never knew I could. I absolutely loved the guided meditation and soundscapes portion of the course. Thank you, Amity Gaige!

By Jenny J G L

Mar 27, 2018

Another engaging course in this Ceative Writing Specialisation. What I like most is that on the following week the lecture gives a good example of assignment from one of her past students. I wish other lecturers could do the same.

By NANDITHA M 1

Oct 1, 2020

I absolutely loved the course and its structure. Special mention to the instructor Amity Gaige who was amazing. The techniques used in the course truly is helpful. I wish the course was longer because I just did not want to stop.

By Anna B

Jun 21, 2016

i recommend this very enjoyable class , courses and directions for submissions are clear , provides interesting and efficient tools for progression . Teacher s personnality is a passionate and encouraging one . Great experience.

By Abhinav T

Jan 19, 2017

The way Amity Gaige passes on her learnings makes it extremely easy for the beginners to pick things up. Her tips on persuasive writing completely persuaded me :). A very well designed course and delivered very well by Amity :)

By Judy W W J

Dec 3, 2018

I have learned invaluable skills in creating a setting and description of characters, places, time and location. The course materials were easy to follow, and the assignments were very challenging but overall rewarding.

By Dennis M

Mar 29, 2018

I think this is my favourite of the writing courses so far. The first two courses are good, and instruct you what to write. This third course gives instructions on how to write, and I feel I get the most from it.

By Cornelia B

Jan 22, 2019

I must say we earned this certificate - hard work, interactive and full of bits to chew on. Amity Guage had us participate, think out of the box and on the edge of our creative seats. Well done and a must take.

By Inés K

Dec 20, 2018

This course is great. The mix of video, reading, questions to reflect on, assignments that are given on video (not just text) is just perfect. It feels more interactive that way. Amity Gage is doing a great job.