Back to Creative Writing: The Craft of Setting and Description

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Creative Writing: The Craft of Setting and Description by Wesleyan University

In this course aspiring writers will be introduced to the techniques that masters of fiction use to ground a story in a concrete world. From the most realist settings to the most fantastical, writers will learn how to describe the physical world in sharp, sensory detail. We will also learn how to build credibility through research, and to use creative meditation exercises to deepen our own understanding of our story worlds, so that our readers can see all that we imagine....

EG
Jul 1, 2020

Great course, it taught me things that I would have never learned otherwise, in this course you must take your time, don't rush, because if you do you will miss the most important points of the curse.

BM
Jan 19, 2021

This was such a wonderful course. I got to learn a lot about strange lands, imaginative description etc. Generally how to set my world and describe it in a convincing manner. I totally recommend it.

51 - 75 of 331 Reviews for Creative Writing: The Craft of Setting and Description

By Renee C W

Sep 27, 2018

For me, this might have been the most challenging course of the Creative Writing Specialization in that it targeted one of my weaknesses as a writer, but the assignments tested me and helped me to hone the craft of description (and setting). The lectures were a treat to listen to and learn from – Amity is a very engaging and knowledgeable teacher.

By Aisha K

Jul 13, 2017

Each of the Creative Writing courses in this series has been meaningful and helpful to me as a novice writer. The material, instructors, guest speakers, practice assignments, and forums made learning enjoyable and effective. Most of all, the university and the seasoned professors/writers are inspiring individuals for whom I am eternally grateful!

By Hector M C L

Jan 8, 2019

Amity is an excellent guide. The exercises are fun and match the lessons you are taking. I really enjoyed the course and feel it improved my attention to detail in my writing. I also liked the part about research which before I didn't do much of. Now I am very aware of learning about my settings and subjects before writing about them. Thanks!

By Jasmine K

Jun 7, 2017

Amity is able to convey the abstract concepts that piece together an engaging and fluid composition using examples and exercises that are incredibly helpful to an aspiring writer. The insight she offers is invaluable and I feel privileged to have been able to access her teachings. I am looking forward to reading the books she has written.

By James D R

Apr 13, 2018

This has been my favorite course of the three I've taken thus far.

I really enjoyed the reading material that acted as a demonstration of what we were being expected to write about.

The necessity to persuade the reader. I had never looked at it in this way, but from now on I will think of whether my settings are persuading the reader.

By Collins, J B

Aug 7, 2020

I deeply enjoyed this course and I believe that it offers some very helpful feedback into learning about setting and the proper elements/importance of setting. It is a feature that I've often overlooked in creative writing, but it definitely can be an element all on its own and this module shows you how to express it to the fullest.

By SHI

Mar 26, 2019

slow motion, significant detail, about genre or style, the perspective of the auto-biography for the contenu;

the discussion about the cours among the students;

the interview of the others writers was woundeful;

also the moment for us the student to think, to meditate, to read, and then to write, all this like the real class.

By Jane D

Aug 18, 2019

I really enjoyed this course! The lecturer gives a great amount of information and advice that feel monitored in the videos in a way, so far this is my favourite course of the specialozation. I really liked being given many reading sources, they served a good example and clarification for what the assignments required.

By Edwin D S d L

Nov 19, 2020

This course is very entertaining. All the concepts are explained clearly and beautifuly with relevant examples and a nice pace. The exercises are fun to write and really make you put your newly learned concepts to practice. It provides an aspiring writer with valuable tools to create compelling, persuasive stories.

By Freya D L

Aug 30, 2017

I learned so much! Amity is an excellent teacher, the exercises were spot on, just what they needed to be to evolve as a writer. I learned a lot from reviewing my peer's work as well, and some of their feedback was very helpful. Excellent, excellent course, all four of them are just so good. Thank you!

By Abhishek T

Jul 31, 2018

First, Amity is a great teacher.

Second, all courses of creative writing gave me much more than the lessons, they gave me wider horizons and confidence.

This one was so valuable, it made me learn various styles of telling stories, second person and lastly some secrets of how to create my story world.

By Victoria

Dec 20, 2017

Another excellent course in this program of study for the craft of creative writing, with practical exercises and useful constraints that really helped me to progress my understanding of creative writing and improve my storytelling skills. Suddenly, it's no longer agonising, but easy. Thank you!

By Lauren L

Apr 15, 2017

This, for me, has been, by far the best part of the Creative writing course. Amity is an amazing instructor and gives great incite and lessons on Setting and description. She takes it one step further with readings and visualizations. I have learned so much that I can put to use! Highly reccomen

By Colin F

Sep 14, 2020

Pretty good. Not my favorite Creative Writing subcourse, but certainly an important one. Is more directed to realistic fiction than sci-fi or fantasy writers but even if you are 100% certain you don't want to write realistic fiction, I would still highly recommend this and say go for it.

By Alexander F

Feb 19, 2018

This is in my opinion the best one of the specialization so far. It has great references and additional content, readings, videos, etc. related to what's being studied. Gaige's comments are always thoughtful and inspiring. The other courses are all good too, but this one was exceptional.

By Victorya J

Aug 21, 2016

Thank you so much Amity for all the knowledge that you have given me. Your approach to teaching is wonderful and I was intrigued by your views on writing. I thoroughly enjoyed learning from you. You are amazing and I feel blessed to have been you as an instructor. Again, thank you!

By Erica D

May 31, 2016

loved this course, the prompts really got me thinking and writing about things/topics that were different for me. Being forced outside my comfort zone has really gotten me thinking about writing from a different angle and I think that will help so much moving back to my own writing

By Frankie W

Mar 29, 2019

I love how Amity explained everything and the assignments and peer responses where wonderful. I got some great feedback and cannot wait to move further with my novel! Thank you everyone, and thank you so much to Amity for taking the time to put together your thoughts into a class!

By Amanda N

Oct 31, 2017

Brilliant course. I started just auditing these modules but eventually completed all four (waiting to do the capstone) with peer review. All of the modules have been amazing and I continue to refer to them regularly. It's certainly built my confidence and skills. Thank you!

By Dena M

Apr 12, 2017

Amity has been the best teacher in this course series. She had us, big gasp, actually READ some wonderful stories and passages. Nothing like a writer reading. Her lectures were spot on and interesting and dynamic. The assignments were clear and fun to complete. Thank you Amity!

By Liora H

Mar 12, 2019

Excellent exercises. They really pushed me and challenged me to dive in and develop my ability to write and describe a setting. I feel that my observation in the process of writing has been refined - I pay more attention now to details in the setting while imagining a scene.

By Jerri L L

May 18, 2016

I've enjoyed "The Craft of Setting and Description." It's given me a good chance to spend some time focusing on the details that matter. I've learned a lot about what to include where setting and description are concerned and what to leave out. It's been a very good course.

By David J M

Feb 23, 2019

The course was excellent as was the teacher. I learned a great deal about writing and the weekly assignments really helped me as did reviewing peers work and having them review mine. I would recommend this course to anyone who wants to improve their creative writing.

By Hui J H

May 24, 2019

I had to read this one instead of watch it but it was excellent and informative. I fully agree on the topic of treating setting as important as a character in its own right, because of all the media that has really demonstrated this. Spot on advice, love the lessons!

By Ole D J

Feb 19, 2018

Awesome course.

Can feel the missing pieces slowly fall together in my writing for every assignment.

So happy this and other related courses were made available on Coursera.

Will mention the author as well as this course in my first book if I manage to get it published.