Back to Creative Problem Solving

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Creative Problem Solving by University of Minnesota

4.4

This course deals directly with your ability for creativity which is a critical skill in any field. It focuses on divergent thinking, the ability to develop multiple ideas and concepts to solve problems. Through a series of creativity building exercises, short lectures, and readings, learners develop both an understanding of creativity and increase their own ability. This course will help you understand the role of creativity and innovation in your own work and in other disciplines. It will challenge you to move outside of your existing comfort zone and to recognize the value of that exploration. This course will help you understand the importance of diverse ideas, and to convey that understanding to others. The principal learning activity in the course is a series of "differents" where you are challenged to identify and change your own cultural, habitual, and normal patterns of behavior. Beginning with a prompt, e.g. "eat something different", you will begin to recognize your own = limits and to overcome them. In addition, you are encouraged to understand that creativity is based on societal norms, and that by it's nature, it will differ from and be discouraged by society. In this course, the persistence of the creative person is developed through practice. At the same time, these exercises are constrained by concerns of safety, legality, and economics, which are addressed in their creative process....

EN
Jan 17, 2021

I really enjoyed this course, it was very informative and easy to follow. The videos were clear and the graded sections were great. The course as a whole was enjoyable and would recommend to others.

AF
Mar 1, 2016

SO INTERESTING AND FUN. Have you ever took a stranger'S secret and propose another stranger to take that secret in exchange of one of his? This course is an opportunity to do crazy stuff like that!

451 - 475 of 615 Reviews for Creative Problem Solving

By I P S A W

Sep 15, 2020

By Mona A A

Sep 2, 2020

good

By Jainam J

Jul 27, 2020

good

By JAYESH S M

Jun 27, 2020

By UMAMAHESWARI D

Jun 24, 2020

good

By Kalaiselvi K

Jun 20, 2020

Good

By T. A

Jun 20, 2020

good

By ALOKE R B

Jun 20, 2020

good

By Vajinepalli s s

Jun 13, 2020

By JEEVANANDHAN E

Jun 10, 2020

Good

By Sekar V

Jun 9, 2020

good

By Soumya S

Good

By Paheli P

May 23, 2020

good

By Kiran D

Apr 22, 2020

Good

By Rajiv D

Aug 21, 2017

Good

By shubham s

gud

Apr 17, 2016

E

By Kelley J

Aug 27, 2020

I could see the change in me. I saw the differences in my perceptions and I 'experimented' with usual surroundings more than I do normally. Some material in this course is repetitive. It may be so to emphasise on some topics but there is still scope for more information on the theoretical aspects of creativity. I suggest that 2 'Do Something Different' (DSD) submissions be compulsory as you will be able to witness the difference in your own creative capacity. The peer evaluation works really well, however, the preset criteria for evaluation needs to be more elaborate and more points need to be added. The discussion forums need to be monitored as most discussions are about seeking peer evaluations.

All in all, the course is worth taking. It will not take much time to complete and it is worth whatever time it takes. The DSDs are more fun to do and I plan to take them forward too.

By Mayra T M

Mar 24, 2016

There is some good content on creativity in this course, thoug it barely addresses problem solving.

"Do something different" assingments were an interesting idea.

Some content material is missing, including the link to a text that is needed to answer a quizz which will influence your final grade.

Grading standards are weird: maximum grades are to be given to assignments performed in public, as if things done in private aren't creative; there are better ways to have someone get out of their comfort zone. Assingments request that you be photographed or filmed, and there is no disclaimer that your photos or your privacy will be protected. If you are an introvert or simply a person who values privacy, this is not the course for you.

By Fransiska N

The Creative Problem Solving course really helps me to think and act in a more creative way, as for now I recognize how creativity is really important nowadays, especially in the 4.0 Industry. I understand few technics on how to improve the creative thinking such as mind mapping, brainstorming, and building internal motivation. There's few keywords we could learn from here, but since the course is in the beginner level, we only learn few in just 4 weeks. Also, the main projects, DSDs for each week is a little bit repetitive in my opinion. Otherwise, it is a good course to start brainstorming for more creative thinking.

By Renato P

Nov 1, 2020

I really enjoyed the course. But I think there shoud be more exercises "outside the box" and interviews with creative people (to show us how they have new ideas). Also, these aditional links on week 4 should be included throughout the course and used to show how we can improve our enviroments, on our jobs and lives. Oh, and the creativity test should be in the beggining of the course, so we could improve the skills we need during the course.

By Saroj R K

May 23, 2020

This course was enlightening and super fun. It helped to think confidently and out of the box. Initially I found the tasks very challenging but after some tries it made me come out of my comfort zone. It opened venues for process new and different ideas, that I believe we really need in our daily lives but we forget to practice it somehow. I really learned a lot and managed to upgrade my skills!

By Lizeth S

Mar 8, 2016

I enjoyed this course a lot, it makes you expand your horizons and challenge yourself in order to be more creative, i liked going through the different assignments and forcing myself to think outside the box; however i wish there had been more material and emphasis in actual problem solving which was the reason why i wanted to take the course in first place.