Back to Creative Problem Solving

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Creative Problem Solving by University of Minnesota

4.1

This course deals directly with your ability for creativity which is a critical skill in any field. It focuses on divergent thinking, the ability to develop multiple ideas and concepts to solve problems. Through a series of creativity building exercises, short lectures, and readings, learners develop both an understanding of creativity and increase their own ability. This course will help you understand the role of creativity and innovation in your own work and in other disciplines. It will challenge you to move outside of your existing comfort zone and to recognize the value of that exploration. This course will help you understand the importance of diverse ideas, and to convey that understanding to others. The principal learning activity in the course is a series of "differents" where you are challenged to identify and change your own cultural, habitual, and normal patterns of behavior. Beginning with a prompt, e.g. "eat something different", you will begin to recognize your own = limits and to overcome them. In addition, you are encouraged to understand that creativity is based on societal norms, and that by it's nature, it will differ from and be discouraged by society. In this course, the persistence of the creative person is developed through practice. At the same time, these exercises are constrained by concerns of safety, legality, and economics, which are addressed in their creative process....

AF

Mar 02, 2016

SO INTERESTING AND FUN. Have you ever took a stranger'S secret and propose another stranger to take that secret in exchange of one of his? This course is an opportunity to do crazy stuff like that!

TB

Apr 19, 2018

this was a very interesting course and at the same time challenging. i have learnt a lot of creativity and will keep challenging myself and the people around me

1 - 25 of 70 Reviews for Creative Problem Solving

By Norbert

Jul 05, 2019

In my view the content of the course is a bit thin. There are a lot of creativity techniques out there, but this course only picks mainly two (mindmapping and attribute listing) and those are only a few minutes in the videos. The excercises are interesting, but I never understood why they should be done in public and there is no real explanation. The instructions for the exercises should be more precise - sometimes I was surprised by the criteria (e.g. to provide a 200 words description which never was mentioned before but was part of the grading criteria in week 1).

Somehow the course seems to be dead. There seems to be no moderator in the forums. The majority of postings in the forums are "please review my excercise" - which I have never seen on another coursera course before in that extend. I myself had issues with getting my submissions graded. The idea is that you get rated by 4 peers, for most of my submissions I only go one single grading. And my last submission I had to submit 3 times because the only guy who rated my work gave me 0 points (the same guy - twice !) as a revenge because i couldn't give him more on his work. I flagged this grading but never got any feedback.

Finally the work of my peers that I had to review did in many cases not meet the requirements (e.g. no photos / videos posted, even it was cleary required, and sometimes just a general stuff and not documenting their personal attempt to do the creative task. In many cases I had the impression that students only submit something to get the grading but they didn't really read the instructions or did not put even a little energy to get the task done. So reviewing the work was no fun either and didn't give me any more value.

I did a posting in the forum with suggestions to improve the course but there was no feedback at all.

So overall: The course is giving some value, but not as much as I expected. There's not a lot activity in the course (with ratings of the exercises and in the forums) and a moderator seems not to be here. I would wish a bit more creativity from the course provider regarding the content of the course and from the students with there work.

By Esther O

Jun 23, 2019

La parte que te tienen que valorar las personas que hacen el curso hace que se tarde mucho en acabar el curso.

By Tushar C

Apr 17, 2019

you guys are doing a very good job!!!!

Feb 24, 2019

Very engaging!

By Jon W

Feb 02, 2019

Some interesting projects/exercises and information but unfortunately almost all if not all the information was from a 2014 teaching of the course. So a lot of the videos had references to projects we did not do, and they were not that fresh or current. Most frustratingly, a large part of the grade depends on exercises called DSDs. They tell you to upload lots of photos to document your experience, and your grade is directly correlated to the number of photos. But then the current platform only allows one photo upload. So a lot of the entire course was rendered ineffective and frustrating by a limited platform. For several of the projects , I planned and took many photos to tell the story, but then you were limited to only uploading one photo.

By Punita M

Nov 27, 2018

I really enjoyed doing things in creatively at the public area that made me to step out of comfort zone. Thank you. :-)

By Binay

Oct 16, 2018

this is quite basic and all the tools discussed are already known , moreover there is no example or application on how it can be used practically.

By Dragos N

Oct 09, 2018

Ideas and exercises are good but the rest is just sloppy work.

By Zafar I

Jul 14, 2018

very good course .

By Lori J M

May 30, 2018

While I found the course content interesting, I really didn't learn anything new. I thought that it was kind of oxymoronic for an instructor to be talking about trying something new, making changes and being creative while all of the videos showed him wearing the same (or similar) suits in the same office with the same bland décor and the same coffee mug. Change it up a little, and tell us about what you have done that i creative.

By Aditya A

May 23, 2018

The highlights of the course are the live tasks you are given to complete it. A little more videos regarding creativity and more theory would have made it a complete course.Still it is pretty much enjoyable. Go for it.

By Syed M S K

May 15, 2018

Very good course to open up your creative window

By Gaurav S

learned a lot.

By Tolbert B

By Sayin C

Apr 10, 2018

This course is very interesting. It helps me to look at things I am familiar with in different perspectives. Furthermore, it encourages me to challenge the habit and norms and work with things in a new way which can make it better.

By Sergiu

Feb 21, 2018

Poor, vague content.

By Heather L

Oct 01, 2017

Excellent premise, good suggestions. Some technical issues with repeated videos & lack of experience w/talking to a camera instead of a person, but nothing too distracting.

By jordan s

Sep 28, 2017

Good material. Needs a bit of an upgrade on the production side. Overall I enjoyed the course.

By Jennifer g

Sep 07, 2017

Fun class and liked the project DSD.

By Alan C

Aug 27, 2017

That is a great course! The best course of my life untill now. Thank you so much!

By Rajiv D

Aug 21, 2017

Good

By Dmitry A

Aug 06, 2017

What makes the course great is its simplisity and insights. Originally, I was not sure if the course's content will be relevant to business environment, but it proved to be more that applicable.

Great content, great excercises and highly valuable concepts!

P.s. sometimes oversimplified, so minus one star :)

By Tennille G

Jul 27, 2017

This is a fun course that makes you step out of your comfort zone and embrace your creativity.

By Mustafa S

Jun 30, 2017

C

By Roojvelt B

Jun 16, 2017

This is really good Course, if we apply creative ideas in our life on our daily basis work in diffrent way...you can understand....How much is easy to live with ppl and family friends....