Back to Framework for Data Collection and Analysis

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Framework for Data Collection and Analysis by University of Maryland, College Park

4.2

This course will provide you with an overview over existing data products and a good understanding of the data collection landscape. With the help of various examples you will learn how to identify which data sources likely matches your research question, how to turn your research question into measurable pieces, and how to think about an analysis plan. Furthermore this course will provide you with a general framework that allows you to not only understand each step required for a successful data collection and analysis, but also help you to identify errors associated with different data sources. You will learn some metrics to quantify each potential error, and thus you will have tools at hand to describe the quality of a data source. Finally we will introduce different large scale data collection efforts done by private industry and government agencies, and review the learned concepts through these examples. This course is suitable for beginners as well as those that know about one particular data source, but not others, and are looking for a general framework to evaluate data products....

MM

Mar 07, 2018

Very clear and organised structure\n\nClear examples to support learning objectives\n\nAttractive use of voice\n\nOne point for improvement: Do not film while the lecturer is still refinding breath

SM

May 19, 2019

Excelente curso, genera las herramientas necesarias para la recoleccion, transformacion, analisis e interpretacion de datos que requiero como principiante en este proceso

51 - 75 of 83 Reviews for Framework for Data Collection and Analysis

By Nguyen N K C

Jun 08, 2016

The deliver papers are great but slides are poor. In overall, a good course to begin learning about Data Collection and Analysis.

By Jaiyon H

Sep 19, 2016

I think this course gives the basic & important knowledge about survey and data collection. Some can feel the course boring. But I believe the important knowledge boring sometimes.

By George S

Jun 10, 2016

An extremely thorough overview on overall survey design methodology.

By Dan L

Dec 23, 2017

This was an interesting course. Week four was less exciting for me and I did not understand the quiz--why should I memorize what different survey components are? Overall, however, it was interesting and well delivered. Thank you.

By Iyshia L

Jun 20, 2018

I though it was a good background course, however, I wish initially (in week 1) there was more focus on definitions.

By Parmeet K

Oct 28, 2016

this course is really good. i enjoyed a lot.

By Lucia I B H

Apr 23, 2018

Muchas de las lecturas tenían un nivel muy avanzado, y mencionaban términos, conceptos y técnicas estadísticas que no manejo. La parte teórica estuvo bien presentada pero me parece que hay un gap entre el nivel del curso y el nivel de las lecturas.

By Saif U K

Jul 20, 2016

An entremely good effort, gives you a wonderful introduction to the wonderful world of Survey Research in general and data collection overall. One of the plus point is that it directs you towards quite a few new sources of data that is pretty interesting if you are an active researcher.

By ellen w

Mar 24, 2019

The last quiz was terrible. I watched the classes, read the transcripts, and still had a hard time with it. Then I wasted $300 because i got sidetracked and it as so unpleasant to return to! (My fault, but still....)

Maybe worth re-tooling that quiz, as the rest of the class was quite good.

By Adriana M

Aug 29, 2019

I had a lot of work with this course. I'm working in a organization of Statistics and I don't have much time to study. Sometimes, I had to study during my work and it is not good. I'm not sure that the hours spent on the course were correctly estimated by the University staff.

By Ed P

Mar 04, 2019

Overall this was a fine introduction. I would have liked a more rigorous approach to introducing and defining concepts. The last course on examples of surveys was pretty weak - with more work the instructor could have better linked the examples to concepts we had previously learned. Instead she just did a rote report out of the purpose, design, and potential issues. The slides had all the information she was going to share, she didn't add much value with her speaking.

By Andrew A

Jun 28, 2018

While the videos are a bit boring and the quiz questions could test a deeper understanding of the referenced material, the subject matter coverage is very good and draws on salient debates that show tradeoffs between surveys and big data. The literature provided was helpful and accessible.

By Edema O

Jun 11, 2017

Many questions in the quizzes could have been framed better. Some were confusing in their wording.

By Madhusudanan.S

May 10, 2016

Gives a basic overview of data collection processes.

By Kathleen j D

Apr 05, 2018

It was average, good to get a summary before diving into more in depth classes

By Eyad A K

May 04, 2018

I have learned a lot of new and interesting things from this course. The content of the course however lacks practical and simple examples that are easily understandable by everyone.

By Camila B

May 28, 2017

I think the videos could be more dynamic, however, the course is very structured.

By Anya V

Jan 15, 2018

The materials are solid and well organized, however the instructor is extremely poor - speaks in round about and confusing way, misspeaks, yawns throughout the presentation, makes random emphasis and pauses throughout substances that are annoying and distracting and pull away attention from the substance. These videos need to be re-recorded, with a more effective instructor.

By Muhammad H

Jun 08, 2017

The content is rather introductory, but for new comers, it is a little challenging trying to remember most of the different survey approaches adopted for the different surveys used in US.

By shaimaa m a

Oct 16, 2017

i would say the course over all is good ,in module one and 2 the videos were not so good was too short and the readings were good but missed some points were mentioned in videos so i felt some kind of being lost in between

in modules 3 and 4 videos were great but readings were so boring actually

quizzes were nice

i hoped that readings were more organized and structured like detecting certain book and we stuck with it through the course

the best thing in my opinion about the course is the discussion section , it was so helpful too me and tease me to continue the course till the end

actually it was so interesting experience to me , waiting for the next courses and achievement

thank you a lot coursera world for this

By Courtney M

Dec 15, 2017

It was ok. everyone has different tastes for lectures but I found her speech hard to follow. I probably wont continue. Also, I did not realize how it was really going to be all about surveys. Not what I was looking for. You can have data collection and analysis without surveys.

By Devin G

Jul 07, 2017

It was a good overview of the subject, but now I am eager to learn more about survey design and analysis details. I don't anticipate working much with big data or administrative data, so those sections of the course were interesting, but not particularly pertinent to me.

By Nevila

Apr 22, 2018

The course teaching method was boring with low inappropriate tones and lack of enthusiasm. The attender could have the feeling the instructor was obliged to have the speaking and not to teach the content! (The instructor continuous swallowing were very disturbing)

By Tony, O L H

Dec 24, 2017

Quite a dry topic to listen through, but good coverage on formula, total error framework & global survey examples.

By Solomon L

Apr 18, 2019

The instructor is not audible enough.