Back to Data-driven Astronomy

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Data-driven Astronomy by The University of Sydney

Science is undergoing a data explosion, and astronomy is leading the way. Modern telescopes produce terabytes of data per observation, and the simulations required to model our observable Universe push supercomputers to their limits. To analyse this data scientists need to be able to think computationally to solve problems. In this course you will investigate the challenges of working with large datasets: how to implement algorithms that work; how to use databases to manage your data; and how to learn from your data with machine learning tools. The focus is on practical skills - all the activities will be done in Python 3, a modern programming language used throughout astronomy. Regardless of whether you’re already a scientist, studying to become one, or just interested in how modern astronomy works ‘under the bonnet’, this course will help you explore astronomy: from planets, to pulsars to black holes. Course outline: Week 1: Thinking about data - Principles of computational thinking - Discovering pulsars in radio images Week 2: Big data makes things slow - How to work out the time complexity of algorithms - Exploring the black holes at the centres of massive galaxies Week 3: Querying data using SQL - How to use databases to analyse your data - Investigating exoplanets in other solar systems Week 4: Managing your data - How to set up databases to manage your data - Exploring the lifecycle of stars in our Galaxy Week 5: Learning from data: regression - Using machine learning tools to investigate your data - Calculating the redshifts of distant galaxies Week 6: Learning from data: classification - Using machine learning tools to classify your data - Investigating different types of galaxies Each week will also have an interview with a data-driven astronomy expert. Note that some knowledge of Python is assumed, including variables, control structures, data structures, functions, and working with files....

GM

Jun 30, 2017

Great course with a good balance of code and the rewards to be had from understanding how the code works - proved to be an excellent introduction to Astronomy and confidence builder in Python.

JM

Jul 15, 2017

One of the best courses I've done on Coursera. Just enough astronomy to understand the problems, and then go into the exercises in a step by step way, building up complexity. Couldn't stop!

1 - 25 of 117 Reviews for Data-driven Astronomy

By Ayush N

Oct 21, 2018

I finished this course today. If you want to learn advanced concepts like machine learning, decision tree classification, SQL, and more; then this is the course for you! I'm a senior in high school, and I'm going to major in Astrophysics. If you love Computer Science this will be an interesting course, as it will show the applications of CS to Astronomy.

By Paulina

Jul 13, 2019

It is a really well done course, 100% recommended. Simple but with a lot of information to shared. exercises are really well build in order to anyone can understand the main objective (Astronomy and Machine Learning techniques).

By notsoseamless

Jul 11, 2019

Really interesting course.

I now need to make further study of the techniques introduced on this course.

By Cecilia G

Jul 06, 2019

Great course, does help to have a background in python so more time can be spent on the activities.

By Pier-Francesco R

Jun 17, 2019

It's a good start point if we want to understand actual astronomy and the analysis of new big surveys like SDSS or the next LSST

By Ujjwal J

Jun 13, 2019

best course i ve taken in coursera

By Rohit N

Jun 10, 2019

Excellent course..

By Manoj J

May 30, 2019

This course is excellent for anyone who loves astronomy and is looking to working in the field .The concepts are conveyed effectively and the assignments are the most important aspects as they teach a lot more than the videos . Its was fun !!

By Ondrej M

May 17, 2019

I have enjoyed fully the whole course which helped me to connect my professional skills in coding and data analytics with my hobby - astronomy. The lectures were clear, very well understandable, motivated me to make my own research and the Grok platform is very well suited for getting the "hands on" experience. I also appreciate links to external tools and data sources.

By Francisco

May 15, 2019

Interesting introduction to machine-learning techniques applied to astronomical data. I think very adapted to astronomers willing to learn about this topic or to astronomy students.

By Peregrine D

May 13, 2019

A decent introductory course. The weeks follow themes and are not indicative of a suggested timeline.

By Lyle D

May 13, 2019

One of the best courses I have taken. The instructors are fantastic! This course is like a 500 page novel that you cannot put down and now you are on the last 10 pages. I do not want this course to end!! It was such pleasure to go through the videos and problems!!

Sincere thanks to Professor Tara Murphy and Dr. Simon Murphy !! Good on ya mates!! Please have a follow-on course!!

By p v k

May 12, 2019

Outstanding presentation in making even a novice like me understand the fundamentals of the course.

By francisco

May 11, 2019

An exciting course towards data science is involved in other topics as Astronomy, and a glimpse on the techniques that are being use.

By Ananth S

Apr 24, 2019

Wonderful course and loved every bit of it. My only concern is that I would love to have some form of a certificate even though I can not afford to pay for the course.

By 唐怀金

Apr 23, 2019

very good

By Afiq A H

Apr 22, 2019

Good stuff. Thanks Coursera.

By Sara D

Apr 08, 2019

Fantastic! I learned a lot. The exercises were really interesting!

By Richard O

Apr 01, 2019

Perfect to brush up my Python skills while studying a fascinating subject!

By Daniel N

Mar 20, 2019

very good course, with clear technical explination and interesting

By Mark M

Mar 18, 2019

Interesting, engaging and informative!

By miguel a

Mar 09, 2019

Fue un excelente curso , me ayuda mucho para poder intentar el procesado de unos catalogos de galaxias en especial la parte del machine learning aplicado

By Michael W

Mar 08, 2019

This is a very well organized, interesting, and, quite frankly, fun class. I especially liked being able to do hands-on exercises in Python.