Back to Design Principles: an Introduction

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Design Principles: an Introduction by University of California San Diego

What makes an interface intuitive? How can I tell whether one design works better than another? This course will teach you fundamental principles of design and how to effectively evaluate your work with users. You'll learn fundamental principles of visual design so that you can effectively organize and present information with your interfaces. You'll learn principles of perception and cognition that inform effective interaction design. And you'll learn how to perform and analyze controlled experiments online. In many cases, we'll use Web design as the anchoring domain. A lot of the examples will come from the Web, and we'll talk just a bit about Web technologies in particular. When we do so, it will be to support the main goal of this course, which is helping you build human-centered design skills, so that you have the principles and methods to create excellent interfaces with any technology....

NS

Mar 17, 2016

The basic principles of design and their philosophies were covered well in this course, and it was taught in a quick, efficient manner. I liked undergoing this course and would recommend it.

YM

Aug 07, 2016

An essential course for any job in the field of Design, it teaches the core concepts such as Typography, Colour, Positioning, Spacing, etc. and requires one to work hard on the assignments.

126 - 142 of 142 Reviews for Design Principles: an Introduction

By Jaime F V

Aug 30, 2016

This course as much content in it and it's difficult to have an holistic idea how it all fits together. Some videos are taught having the same problem like, for example, some tools/themes are presented without us knowing what they are for. E.g., Chi-squared test and null hypothesis. Only after a while we understand their use. This bring a lot of overhead to us who are learning.

Some videos seem to have been re-worked over time and present cuts or jumps.

As for assignments, they should be better worked because some questions are not clear or misleading regarding the criteria that you want to evaluate.

For example, I already reported that in Question 2. and 3. of the assignment for the 3rd week. The example you give is a short introduction with two problems: 1) "I did the website", which can make the participant not to be at ease to criticize and 2) we're no evaluating the participant performance but the website. Next, you ask us to rewrite the introduction, which we do with those two problems in mind. Now, when we do the peer review we realize that you're expecting for us to rate the new introduction based on having "early prototype" and "user feedback". The original problems just seem not to count. Only by chance you can eventually write the new introduction touching the points that count for grading.

By Jeppe C

Apr 10, 2016

Slow review process (can be).

By Ken D

Mar 28, 2018

OK

By Jennifer B

Jun 19, 2018

It started off very interesting. Then it kind of fell apart during the chi-sqaure part. Some of the examples feel a bit dated and could use a bit more modern design.

By Joseph P

Dec 10, 2016

Very interesting, but I found it a little bit confusing.

By Jon M

Aug 11, 2017

The visual design teachings could have a few more exercises that teach color choice and more details about typography styles. For example, emotions can be communicated with colors ...

By Gioconda B

Oct 16, 2017

I like the content of the course. I feel I have learned a lot, especially working with the Chi Squared test. However, there was an example that was not clear on week 3 – Comparing rates. The example refers to comparing two buttons in a home page in order to improve traffic. The data provided was confusing because the Instructor refers that 118 people sign up the “learn more” button over a week. He calculates the chi squared value with 118 sign-ups for the “learn more” button. Then he said that 119 people sign up over a week for the same button, and he calculates the chi square value with this data. My suggestion is to review that video. Thank you.

By Tyler C

Jan 08, 2018

don't feel like I'm learning from the videos.

By Olga P

May 08, 2016

It was a good course overall, but some of the material was very complex and would require more than 3 weeks of study. I am not sure whether it will be useful in a real life, especially calculating Chi-squared and such. I also wish the professor would simplify the language in which he speaks in the lectures.

By Jerod G

Jul 22, 2016

Several errors in lecture and lack-luster assignments decreased my perception of value.

By Gaurav M

Dec 06, 2015

Should go into more depth - esp with Visual Design.

By Ian A

Apr 23, 2016

I feel that this specialization is not focused enough on developing portfolio pieces. One portfolio piece at the end of an 8-month course does not seem adequate to me. So I wish we focused more on developing high fidelity work - in addition to the need-finding, user research, sketches, short weekly assignments. This high fidelity, digital work could even be optional, but I need some guidance on what work to develop and how the overall process should look.

Even being allowed to enroll in the capstone before completing the first 7 sections would be helpful.

The review is kind of about what you are looking to get out of these classes. If you just want to LEARN about UX and human centered design, then it's a 4-5 star course. But if you want to PRODUCE some great work that will help you land a job in the industry, it might not be for you.

By Juan D B G

Feb 01, 2016

I think that is a poor course; a lot of much theory and little practice; is better read a book and see youtube. It doesn't meet my expectations.

By Carlos G

Sep 23, 2015

Interesting topic, however I quitted. Video lectures were recorded almost phrase by phrase, making it too hard to follow the contents properly

By 邓超怡

Nov 04, 2015

Simple & Clear , Handsome teacher!

By Melinda M

Oct 24, 2015

This course wasn't good. Many of the assignment instructions and questions were poorly written, and students clearly had trouble understanding what was asked of them. The assignments also weren't very deep or imaginative, and some of them requested very specific answers relying in keywords from the lectures rather than ensuring that the students had really understood the concepts. The design principles were introduced at such a surface level as to be just silly rather than useful. This was kind of a waste of my time.

By Inma P G

Jul 10, 2019

Don't be a fool and expend any money in this courses. If you are lucky, someone will review your assignments, but chances are you are not going to receive enough reviews to pass the course, just like me. I have payed for two months subscription and have received nothing at all, as my course is not complete, although I have submitted all of my assignments.