Back to Design Principles: an Introduction

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Design Principles: an Introduction by University of California San Diego

What makes an interface intuitive? How can I tell whether one design works better than another? This course will teach you fundamental principles of design and how to effectively evaluate your work with users. You'll learn fundamental principles of visual design so that you can effectively organize and present information with your interfaces. You'll learn principles of perception and cognition that inform effective interaction design. And you'll learn how to perform and analyze controlled experiments online. In many cases, we'll use Web design as the anchoring domain. A lot of the examples will come from the Web, and we'll talk just a bit about Web technologies in particular. When we do so, it will be to support the main goal of this course, which is helping you build human-centered design skills, so that you have the principles and methods to create excellent interfaces with any technology....

NS

Mar 17, 2016

The basic principles of design and their philosophies were covered well in this course, and it was taught in a quick, efficient manner. I liked undergoing this course and would recommend it.

YM

Aug 07, 2016

An essential course for any job in the field of Design, it teaches the core concepts such as Typography, Colour, Positioning, Spacing, etc. and requires one to work hard on the assignments.

1 - 25 of 140 Reviews for Design Principles: an Introduction

By Inma P G

Jul 10, 2019

Don't be a fool and expend any money in this courses. If you are lucky, someone will review your assignments, but chances are you are not going to receive enough reviews to pass the course, just like me. I have payed for two months subscription and have received nothing at all, as my course is not complete, although I have submitted all of my assignments.

By Maria P

Jun 03, 2019

Really good and professional content! There was a small mistake in one of the assignments but it doesn't really matter now. There were a lot of people ready to help you.

By Alwin T

May 11, 2019

(My reviews assumes you follow the whole specialization process by UC San Diego) As the second part of the specialization, this is a good introduction towards design, and specifically in the end, towards UI design with mentions about typography and gridlines progressively throughout the course. The assignments are also useful for learning process without any complicated steps. I think this course is clear enough for people who want to dive into design principles especially for non-design people.

By Priyank A

Apr 09, 2019

If you do not have experience with data analysis (specifically speaking Pearson's chi square technique), you might struggle like me.

By Giny C

Mar 31, 2019

This course is a bit challenging for students without mathematical backround. Yet, the lecturer illustrates the idea of mathematics part in a simple way so that art students can also understand the course material. I enjoy this course very much :)

By LIU S G

Mar 29, 2019

great hands-on assignments help understanding the topic

By Ilya G

Mar 04, 2019

I finally understood how to evaluate hypothesises. Great!

By Non A

Feb 28, 2019

The instructor is very good and the materials are intuitively interesting.

By Isabel L

Feb 03, 2019

I really enjoyed this course. It was good at introducing a lot of new ideas and basic principles.

By Jared G

Jan 22, 2019

Really helpful information on user testing in here and what to avoid.

By Santiago B

Dec 10, 2018

GREAT

By Raluca M

Nov 07, 2018

The course is very useful, but the information is a bit hard to digest, especially the problem. Even though I watched the videos several times, I still did not understand some decisions you made in solving it. But I am a better person because of it! Thank you

By ALKESH

Oct 26, 2018

short but sweet

By Caroline V

Oct 25, 2018

Very good course! A mix of graphic design and probabilities, this is very interesting and useful! Thanks!

By Ryan D J

Oct 04, 2018

The Chi Square lecture was hard to follow. I took elementary statistics in college 20 years ago and got an A, but the lecture jumped and skipped explaining things. the video seemed to have been edited when Scott was about to explain something. Sometimes he didn't really explain somethings. The other lectures were very helpful and have helped me already.

By Alfredo H

Jul 20, 2018

Great course. Good feed back from other class peer reviews.

By ctvv3010

Jun 27, 2018

very well-designed assignments which I learn a lot. More reading resources would be appreciated.

By Dipanshu S

Jun 25, 2018

A very insightful introductory course on design principles. It also provides a lot of useful external resources to further deep dive into the topic.

By Maria K

Jun 24, 2018

Overall, the course is excellent, though if you take the whole specialization, the last week on doing A/B testing is copying another course's material - Running and Analyzing experiments. Other than that, the course is excellent, lots of examples and literature to read on your own pace.

By Jennifer B

Jun 19, 2018

It started off very interesting. Then it kind of fell apart during the chi-sqaure part. Some of the examples feel a bit dated and could use a bit more modern design.

By Traci B

Jun 12, 2018

I really enjoyed this segment of the course, it made me pay more attention to the not so mundane things around me!