Back to Epigenetic Control of Gene Expression

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Epigenetic Control of Gene Expression by The University of Melbourne

While the human genome sequence has transformed our understanding of human biology, it isn’t just the sequence of your DNA that matters, but also how you use it! How are some genes activated and others are silenced? How is this controlled? The answer is epigenetics. Epigenetics has been a hot topic for research over the past decade as it has become clear that aberrant epigenetic control contributes to disease (particularly to cancer). Epigenetic alterations are heritable through cell division, and in some instances are able to behave similarly to mutations in terms of their stability. Importantly, unlike genetic mutations, epigenetic modifications are reversible and therefore have the potential to be manipulated therapeutically. It has also become clear in recent years that epigenetic modifications are sensitive to the environment (for example diet), which has sparked a large amount of public debate and research. This course will give an introduction to the fundamentals of epigenetic control. We will examine epigenetic phenomena that are manifestations of epigenetic control in several organisms, with a focus on mammals. We will examine the interplay between epigenetic control and the environment and finally the role of aberrant epigenetic control in disease. All necessary information will be covered in the lectures, and recommended and required readings will be provided. There are no additional required texts for this course. For those interested, additional information can be obtained in the following textbook. Epigenetics. Allis, Jenuwein, Reinberg and Caparros. Cold Spring Harbour Laboratory Press. ISBN-13: 978-0879697242 | Edition: 1...

MM

Oct 02, 2018

This was an excellent course. All the material was well presented and the explanation of the sometimes complex subject matter was clear and understandable. Thank you for an great learning experience.

GK

This course was new to me. All the concepts were explained in a very simplified manner. I am very happy to have done this course and find it a very interesting field to take upm in my future career.

1 - 25 of 178 Reviews for Epigenetic Control of Gene Expression

By EBENEZER W

Jul 24, 2019

Definitely an enchanting learning experience. This course expresses thoughts on epigenetics and how it could be the key to solve menacing threats such as cancer. It starts with a brief history and remarkable discoveries by scientists, followed by its mechanism, case studies in animal models, cohort studies, and eventually its implementation in cancer therapy. It is very intriguing filled with quizzes, learning resources (podcasts, debates, research findings, interviews, and newspaper articles) and not to mention the ever-growing learning community. Highly recommended for aspirants of biology and those who want to understand life better. I am grateful to Dr. Marnie Blewitt, the curator, Ms. Natasha Jansz, the moderator, and her colleagues and also the University of Melbourne for an excellent journey of learning.

By Apoorva S

Jul 21, 2019

A great learning platform. This was my first ever course on coursera and I've thoroughly enjoyed it. A big thank you to Dr. Marnie Blewitt for helping us learn in a fun way!

By PADMIKA W

May 23, 2020

It is a wonderful course to learn about epigenetics. I recommend everyone to take this course.

By Ismael V M

Jul 24, 2019

Fantastic course excelente teacher thanks.

By Didi-Morgan

Aug 30, 2018

Great course on a very interesting subject. Well constructed, with clear explanations, nice supports, wonderful contents. I love it. The level of difficulty increases with each chapters but regurlarly, so it's relatively easy. Great teacher, she seems passionate about what she does even though it is difficult to be passionate alone in front of a camera… She sometimes end on a little opening on the researches on the subject, especially the ones done in her own lab, which I think is very interesting. Thank you for this amazing course! I recommend it to everyone interested in genetics, epigenetics or who wants to know the relatively new discoveries in the field.

By Christie S

Aug 09, 2019

This class was an excellent (more advanced) exploration into the world of epigenetic gene expression. For someone who works in the genetics industry, this class came full circle for me and actually taught me the mechanisms that are related to some of the processes we complete on client samples.

This class is very content heavy, but it is all valuable and clearly articulated. The lectures are well organized and the quizzes are valuable in that they test your ability to understand the material, not just regurgitate information.

I highly recommend this course for anyone willing to put in the time to learn epigenetics on this molecular level.

By Talha I

May 16, 2019

This course is wonderful: Quality of contents, level/depth and instructor's experience/way of teaching. I saw this course first time in 2016 and its couple of lectures were enough to give me a direction for my Masters thesis. This time, I wanted to complete it all the way and Alhamdulillah a dream came true: I have learnt a lot of things which I had no idea about (mere couple of months ago). In terms of quality and rarity of available material on this subject, I have no qualms about rating it as the Best Course ever on MOOC!

By Mostafa M E

Aug 28, 2017

it was one of the best course I ever take and I think will stay very special to me forever. I learned a lot of fascinating stuff from a great professor with a very interesting way of teaching really it was amazing her passion to teach the topic. I felt her love to the topic with the words and representation the professor done in this course I wish for her the best and to keep passion about the epigenetics as well as continue to add to our knowledge and teach us more and more

By Arturo M

Aug 28, 2017

An amazing course directed wonderfully by Dr. Marnie Blewitt. All the lessons have been new opportunities to discover that epigenetic characteristics in human being genome could answer all questions about ourselves that genetics solely by itself cannot. Thanks to Dr. Blewitt I have a strong tool to complement my biochemical background focused in signal transduction pathways in humans.

By Dr L S N

Epigenetics was a very tough topic for me from the beginning. But Marnie has made it lucid and I understood the course very well. The display of materials and videos were of very good quality. The questions of the assessments were appropriate. I enjoyed the whole course. I would love to do future endevours with Marnie and Coursera. I would advocate it to my collegues also.

By Miguel L E

Jul 18, 2016

Great introduction

It is a great introduction course to this fascinating field. Explanations are very clear (supposing you have previous knowledge about molecular biology) and provided further reading links are very good if you look for deeper knowledge. I strongly recommend this course to biologstudents who did not have the opportunity to go into detail about epigenetics.

By C. R

Aug 22, 2016

I highly recommend this course for anyone who wants to understand what epigenetics is all about, how the discoveries were made, and what are the open questions in the area.

I wanted to give a big shout out to Dr. Marnie Blewitt for her great teaching skills.

Her pace, and the amount of information and details provided are just perfect. Loved it from A to Z.

By Emiel d J

It was a great course. I have waited a long time to do this course. But it did not disappoint. The lecturer was honest in what topic were controversial and not supported well. There was no over hyped argument in there that you so often see in topics surrounding epigenetics. This is a great course for anyone who wants to be well-informed on epigenetics.

By Samuel M

Mar 12, 2017

I did not finish the course so far, but I´m already convinced of it. It´s a super interesting course that goes really deep on an awesome topic. What I like is that this is a really challenging course. It demands a good bit of effort to understand everything, but one is rewarded with a deep understanding of what so far is known about epigenetics.

By Simone E G

Jun 05, 2016

This course is brilliant. It presents a complicated topic with some details, taking non-experts in Biology, like me, to a good understanding. It is worth remembering the main elements in the course from time to time, so I am retaking this course (at least the videos) to refresh my memory. Wonderful course. I truly recommend it.

By Nurzhan A

In this course you will learn about epigenetic modifications, how they are affected by the environment, how they are passed down generation, and then apply all of your knowledge to understand the role of epigenetics in cancer. The instructor is great, materials are clearly presented and well structured. Simply excellent.

By Nurudeen O O

Nov 25, 2019

The best course I have taken on coursera so far. The videos were well detailed, aided with diagrammatic representation and even videos. The additional reading and recommended reading wer well thought out. It had its difficult moment but the finishing it was satisfying. Thanks for creating this course.

By 家睿 糜

Jun 22, 2017

Excellent introduction of epigenetics.

Hopefully, in the future the course could incorporate new materials (advanced research) in epigenetic control in developmental biology and cancer biology. Also it would be better to includenew techniques and useful methods commonly used in epigenetic research.

By Simona B

May 20, 2019

This course is certainly a perfect way how to learn about this exciting field of Biology. Very interesting and useful examples of epigenetic control across the species. I especially value Dr. Marnie Blewitt and her way to explain these phenomena in a clear and understandable way.

By Vincze V

It was the first course that I took after searching for the right one, and it didn't disappoint me. I learnt a lot as a Biology student, the videos and explanations were clear and covered really fascinating subtopics. I recommand it to everyone who's interested in this field.

By Ivan I M

May 08, 2016

Intriguing interective presentations and positive lecturer who grabs the attention not only on the course material, but on the matter and problems of epigenetics, in general. Very thorough and detailed course, but the material is easy to understand, interpete and remember.

By Ummi C

Dec 14, 2016

I find the course to be very interesting and full of information. The course is structured very nicely to make it easier for learners to gradually gain more and more insight into the field with minimum difficulties. I feel very satisfied by the time I finished the course.

By Farbod E L

Jun 16, 2016

If you think that epigenetics is just about DNA methylation, you are wrong and need to watch this course. It is fascinating ! It is full of new scientific materials and bizarre phenomenon such as "X chromosome kissing" offered by a nice presentation and wonderful movies.

By mohamed l

May 14, 2016

Good course with many aspects and details in the field of epigenetics. I think it is better to formulate the course at more weeks because there is much information at short time. The courses in specialised scientific field should get details like this course.

By Saba A

May 06, 2020

It was a very good course. It increases my knowledge regarding epigenetics and especially the role of epigenetics in cancer. Dr Marnie Blewitt explained everything very well. She is the best instructor and explained everything very well and in a simple way.