Back to Epigenetic Control of Gene Expression

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Epigenetic Control of Gene Expression by The University of Melbourne

While the human genome sequence has transformed our understanding of human biology, it isn’t just the sequence of your DNA that matters, but also how you use it! How are some genes activated and others are silenced? How is this controlled? The answer is epigenetics. Epigenetics has been a hot topic for research over the past decade as it has become clear that aberrant epigenetic control contributes to disease (particularly to cancer). Epigenetic alterations are heritable through cell division, and in some instances are able to behave similarly to mutations in terms of their stability. Importantly, unlike genetic mutations, epigenetic modifications are reversible and therefore have the potential to be manipulated therapeutically. It has also become clear in recent years that epigenetic modifications are sensitive to the environment (for example diet), which has sparked a large amount of public debate and research. This course will give an introduction to the fundamentals of epigenetic control. We will examine epigenetic phenomena that are manifestations of epigenetic control in several organisms, with a focus on mammals. We will examine the interplay between epigenetic control and the environment and finally the role of aberrant epigenetic control in disease. All necessary information will be covered in the lectures, and recommended and required readings will be provided. There are no additional required texts for this course. For those interested, additional information can be obtained in the following textbook. Epigenetics. Allis, Jenuwein, Reinberg and Caparros. Cold Spring Harbour Laboratory Press. ISBN-13: 978-0879697242 | Edition: 1...

MM

Oct 02, 2018

This was an excellent course. All the material was well presented and the explanation of the sometimes complex subject matter was clear and understandable. Thank you for an great learning experience.

GK

This course was new to me. All the concepts were explained in a very simplified manner. I am very happy to have done this course and find it a very interesting field to take upm in my future career.

26 - 50 of 174 Reviews for Epigenetic Control of Gene Expression

By Rob H

May 13, 2016

A challenging course that does a superb job of exploring the topics.

The lectures are well-presented and engaging, the additional materials are well-selected from both popular press and academic literature.

I wish there were more courses at this level!

By Yukthashree S

i liked this course very much though it was a new topic for me, i understood it in a proper way. And thank you for the teaching staff. With the knowledge i have gained through this course i am now more interested for further studies in this field.

By Perceox P

Sep 03, 2019

Espectacular.

No soy un profesional del área salud y ha sido un desafió comprender. aun asi, y aunque tenia algunos conocimientos básicos, en lo que estoy investigando, que es el cáncer, este curso ha ampliado mi visión de una manera espectacular.

By Anne L

May 02, 2017

This course gave an excellent overview of epigenetics including molecular mechanisms with multiple case studies and a focus on cancer in the last week. I learned a lot and feel more confident branching out into the field after taking this course.

By Abhiyanta M

This course was really interesting and very informative. Each and every topic is explained with the help of diagram. Even the animations used was very very interesting. The presentation was very informative. It is very easy to understand.

By Rhea J

The course proved to be very informative. My knowledge on the subject has definitely increased. This course has also refueled my interests towards this field. I thank the team, Coursera and Dr. Marnie Blewitt for this great experience!

By Eduardo R P

Sep 28, 2019

It is a somewhat complicated course even knowing a little about the subject, however it was an excellent course and I learned a lot. I discovered new topics and acquired new knowledge. Congratulations!

Thank you for sharing this course.

By Tonya

Mar 26, 2016

As far as we have no Genetic, no Epigenetic courses in our medical universities. I feel that I have a huge gap in my knowledge in this field. I am so happy that I can attend such interesting and necessary course. Thank you very much)

By Claudia B

Mar 31, 2016

What can I say? An extremely complete course, very resourceful, dynamic and with great quality content from reliable sources. If you are interested in genetics, you will love this take on epigenetics; definitely worth it.

By Antonio V A d S

Aug 13, 2017

This course is an incredible introduction to the Science of Epigenetics. Thanks to the course I've learnt a lot about Epigenetic and now I feel confident to read and understand all the papers in this field of knowledge.

By Hugo W d B C F

Oct 16, 2017

Really good course! The design of the last assignment is more close to what I believe online courses should do. It really challenges yourself to apply the knowledge acquired from lectures and reading material.

By Paul S

Mar 30, 2019

Well organized and thought out. Developed the concepts well with clear examples from literature. Gave an understanding of the state of the field and where there are things that still need to be worked out.

By Vanessa C d C L

Mar 09, 2017

I really enjoyed this course it's really interesting and I learned a lot about epigenetics. I really liked the professor and the way she explained and really enjoyed the materials she suggested us to read.

By Mary M

Oct 02, 2018

By GAURI S K

By Chan H Y

Very clear explanation of the concepts and details. I would say it is a difficult course for students from engineering background, even having some bioinfomatics and oncology courses background

By Dan S

Aug 25, 2018

This is an excellent course that introduces you to fundamental knowledge of several hot topics in the field of epigenetics. Dr. Blewitt herself studies X inactivation, and I learned so much!

By Divyeksha H B

Apr 25, 2020

It was very informative course and will help me in my future studies.In between week 3 was bit tough to understand and keep all things in mind. But overall course was amazing. Thank you.

By Aditya A D

May 13, 2020

Amazingly structured and delivered course by the entire team. Including a few practical assays or how to read some of the assay results related to epigenetic techniques would be welcome.

By Boris M

Aug 14, 2017

One of the best organized and implemented courses I have taken so far. For someone who had barely any experience with epigenetics, I feel this gave me a proper introduction to the field.

By HanuRam

Dec 18, 2016

A quintessential course for Genetics students all over the world. Very nicely prepared and elucidated by Dr. Marnie Blewitt .

Many many thanks to Dr. Marnie Blewitt & Coursera team.

By Thomas W

Aug 24, 2017

Very informative! Before starting this course I didn't even know epigenetics was a word. Now I feel I have a very good grasp of the basics of one of the core concepts of genetics.

By Dominika B

Sep 28, 2016

This was an AWESOME course. Really exciting, interesting, AND surprising, I never thought there's that much to talk about in epigenetics! I'm going to recommend it, definitely :)

By Vasisht V S

Aug 08, 2018

A very informative course which starts from the basics and goes up all the way and the pace of the course is also perfectly set for anyone from professionals to first-timers.

By Ziwen L

Dec 12, 2016

Well constructed course and carefully designed questions. It is very useful for someone with biological and/or biomedical background to expand their knowledge on epigenetics!