Back to Epigenetic Control of Gene Expression

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Epigenetic Control of Gene Expression by The University of Melbourne

While the human genome sequence has transformed our understanding of human biology, it isn’t just the sequence of your DNA that matters, but also how you use it! How are some genes activated and others are silenced? How is this controlled? The answer is epigenetics. Epigenetics has been a hot topic for research over the past decade as it has become clear that aberrant epigenetic control contributes to disease (particularly to cancer). Epigenetic alterations are heritable through cell division, and in some instances are able to behave similarly to mutations in terms of their stability. Importantly, unlike genetic mutations, epigenetic modifications are reversible and therefore have the potential to be manipulated therapeutically. It has also become clear in recent years that epigenetic modifications are sensitive to the environment (for example diet), which has sparked a large amount of public debate and research. This course will give an introduction to the fundamentals of epigenetic control. We will examine epigenetic phenomena that are manifestations of epigenetic control in several organisms, with a focus on mammals. We will examine the interplay between epigenetic control and the environment and finally the role of aberrant epigenetic control in disease. All necessary information will be covered in the lectures, and recommended and required readings will be provided. There are no additional required texts for this course. For those interested, additional information can be obtained in the following textbook. Epigenetics. Allis, Jenuwein, Reinberg and Caparros. Cold Spring Harbour Laboratory Press. ISBN-13: 978-0879697242 | Edition: 1...

MM
Oct 1, 2018

This was an excellent course. All the material was well presented and the explanation of the sometimes complex subject matter was clear and understandable. Thank you for an great learning experience.

GK

This course was new to me. All the concepts were explained in a very simplified manner. I am very happy to have done this course and find it a very interesting field to take upm in my future career.

176 - 194 of 194 Reviews for Epigenetic Control of Gene Expression

By Anubhav C

Jun 12, 2018

This is an excellent introductory course in epigenetics, however, if the course had included few chapters in epigenetic modifications like acetylation, glycosylation, phosphorylation, etc. it would have been much more exciting. Nevertheless, the course is extremely lucid to follow, the tutoring is really insightful, the materials are well-structured, the instructions are well-laid and, the most importantly, the assignments are challenging.

By Gaurav S

Mar 7, 2017

A brilliant course which enables students to understand the fundamentals of Epigenetics. This was my first online course and I am delighted to say that it was a wonderful experience and I gained immense insight into the field of Epigenetics. I'd strongly recommend it to prospective students and academicians.

By Saurabh M

Jun 29, 2017

A highly informative course. It provides a base for the people who are associated with epigenetic study. I enjoyed this course and enhanced my knowledge in the area of epigenetics. I will recommend other people who are willing to start their career in the field of epigenetics, they can join the course.

By Rodrigo A M F

Nov 2, 2016

The information is presented in a clear way and haves an apropiate level of difficulty. My problem is that the method of evaluation, with only multiple choice answers, is very lazy and easy.

By Hennecke D

Nov 25, 2019

Update the reading for the final assignment. It is too old and updating it would be an easy fix. I am not going to finish the certificate as the final paper is 7 years ago. Go Boomer. Sad

By Alberto T

Jun 23, 2016

Very clear explanations. Four star because I think that the part on X chromosome is too long and covered with too details respect to other topics.

By Sohaila J

May 27, 2017

Loved it. Very well structured and explained. I actually looked forward to completing lectures and readings every week.

By Jayne G

Sep 1, 2016

I really enjoyed this course, and as an Australian it is so exciting it comes form a domestic university. Thank you

By Louis L C

Very interesting course covering many diverse aspects regarding epigenetics. Has been invaluable towards my PhD!

By MEENA M 1

The course was really very informative. But it would have been great if the subject was little more simplified.

By 丁雪松

Dec 1, 2016

this course gave a general ideal about epigenetic control, and it is helpful to me, Thanks

By Thodoris S

Dec 7, 2017

Very useful course for anyone who wants to get a deeper understanding of epigentics.

By Ubaid M

May 8, 2017

this course too me to the highest of my knowledge. i think this course is remarkable

By Yvonne A

Sep 22, 2016

Difficult course but very worthwhile your time

By Joana A

Very interesting and helpful!

By Zhimin L

Apr 19, 2016

Interesting & Professional.

By manoj

Nov 25, 2018

Very good and useful

By robert t

Mar 22, 2016

boring lecturer, monotone, passionless reading of even more boring powerpoint slides and images, and absolutely no intelligent discussion going on in this course, I have learned more from reading the book "the epigenetics revolution " by nessa carey, a book written for laypersons, than I have from this course taught by university professors. don't waste your time

By Dong M

Jul 31, 2017

the whole lecture given by the lecturer is so confused. And really boring by her monotone. There is almost no connections between slides and the explanation is so unconvinced. Also, it will be better if the lecture can help recall previous slides when talking about relative definition or trying to explain something. wasted my time to be honest