Back to Epigenetic Control of Gene Expression

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Epigenetic Control of Gene Expression by The University of Melbourne

While the human genome sequence has transformed our understanding of human biology, it isn’t just the sequence of your DNA that matters, but also how you use it! How are some genes activated and others are silenced? How is this controlled? The answer is epigenetics. Epigenetics has been a hot topic for research over the past decade as it has become clear that aberrant epigenetic control contributes to disease (particularly to cancer). Epigenetic alterations are heritable through cell division, and in some instances are able to behave similarly to mutations in terms of their stability. Importantly, unlike genetic mutations, epigenetic modifications are reversible and therefore have the potential to be manipulated therapeutically. It has also become clear in recent years that epigenetic modifications are sensitive to the environment (for example diet), which has sparked a large amount of public debate and research. This course will give an introduction to the fundamentals of epigenetic control. We will examine epigenetic phenomena that are manifestations of epigenetic control in several organisms, with a focus on mammals. We will examine the interplay between epigenetic control and the environment and finally the role of aberrant epigenetic control in disease. All necessary information will be covered in the lectures, and recommended and required readings will be provided. There are no additional required texts for this course. For those interested, additional information can be obtained in the following textbook. Epigenetics. Allis, Jenuwein, Reinberg and Caparros. Cold Spring Harbour Laboratory Press. ISBN-13: 978-0879697242 | Edition: 1...

MM
Oct 1, 2018

This was an excellent course. All the material was well presented and the explanation of the sometimes complex subject matter was clear and understandable. Thank you for an great learning experience.

GK

This course was new to me. All the concepts were explained in a very simplified manner. I am very happy to have done this course and find it a very interesting field to take upm in my future career.

51 - 75 of 194 Reviews for Epigenetic Control of Gene Expression

By Boris M

Aug 14, 2017

One of the best organized and implemented courses I have taken so far. For someone who had barely any experience with epigenetics, I feel this gave me a proper introduction to the field.

By HanuRam

Dec 18, 2016

A quintessential course for Genetics students all over the world. Very nicely prepared and elucidated by Dr. Marnie Blewitt .

Many many thanks to Dr. Marnie Blewitt & Coursera team.

By Thomas W

Aug 24, 2017

Very informative! Before starting this course I didn't even know epigenetics was a word. Now I feel I have a very good grasp of the basics of one of the core concepts of genetics.

By Dominika B

Sep 28, 2016

This was an AWESOME course. Really exciting, interesting, AND surprising, I never thought there's that much to talk about in epigenetics! I'm going to recommend it, definitely :)

By Vinícius C C

Nov 24, 2020

Excellent course! The topic isn't an easy one, but Dr Marnie Blewitt was brilliant and her explanation is clear and very good. Besides that, this course provides good support.

By Vasisht V S

Aug 8, 2018

A very informative course which starts from the basics and goes up all the way and the pace of the course is also perfectly set for anyone from professionals to first-timers.

By Ziwen L

Dec 12, 2016

Well constructed course and carefully designed questions. It is very useful for someone with biological and/or biomedical background to expand their knowledge on epigenetics!

By Alagbe O A

Nov 27, 2019

The lectures were enlightening and easy to follow and understand. there were also a lot of examples that made the lectures easy to understand. I totally loved and enjoyed it

By Lusya M

Jun 19, 2016

The course is very interesting for those who like Genetics. The lectures are delivered in an understandable manner, and the motion pictures make everything clear right away.

By Arthur V L

Dec 11, 2016

Excellent course by an expert in the field. Full appreciation requires a background in biochemistry and genetics, but still a lot can be learned by anyone with interest.

By Hina K

Nov 17, 2018

This course is well taught and some important concepts are repeated over and over again during the course so the concept lingers in the brain as if it was there already.

By Andrew E M

Dec 13, 2016

A great course! I certainly learnt a lot. Please note, that if you haven't studied a scientific course before, then I think you would find this course too challenging.

By Václav B

Oct 25, 2017

This course was really inspiring and I really enjoyed the part about histone modification, X chromosome inactivation and the influence of an environment on epigenome.

By Santiago T

Sep 27, 2018

I enjoyed and learnt a lot about epigenetics by taking part in this great course. The content is clear and very well explained. The Professor is outstanding! Thanks

By Mukund K

May 10, 2016

Absolutely amazing experience! Every week was very captivating . Focus is on concepts and assignments test the understanding of them. Thank you Dr. Blewitt!!

By Bettina H

May 2, 2017

The course was great! I did not know much about epigenetics beforehand and now I feel like I could have an informed conversation. My curiosity was awakend

By Anshit S

Wonderful course. Dr. Marnie Blewitt has marvelously explained Epigenetics as a concept to every student. Will definitely help me in my future research!

By Lorenzo T I

A knowledge-packed course highly recommended for those who want to deepen his/her knowledge of the epigenetic machinery in eukaryotic cells.

By Muhammad F

Feb 23, 2020

A great course for students of biotechnology and bioinformatics. I wish i could study in such university by the great respectable teachers.

By Ignacio S

Sep 17, 2018

If somebody bilieves tis course is gonna be an easy one, is wrong. Very detailed, well organized, clever questions. It makes you think.

By Kasturika S

Dec 24, 2017

This is an awesome course which provides intriguing yet interesting insights in epigenetics and gene regulation as well as expression!!

By Todor T G

Aug 7, 2017

One of the best course on Coursera on this topic for experts and not so. Thanks a lot and I'll be glad to see follow up on the subject.

By Julia S S d S

May 22, 2020

This course is perfect! The teacher makes epigenetics seem easy, the lectures are very clarifying. I would recommend it to everyone!

By Marija R

Dec 24, 2016

An interesting course delivered in an excellent manner, with a challenging material being explained in a way that is easy to grasp.

By elsa r

Nov 26, 2020

very well taught course! Dr Marnie definitely masters this subject and passes her knowledge on in such a simple and fun way!