Back to Cameras, Exposure, and Photography

Cameras, Exposure, and Photography, Michigan State University

About this Course

Welcome to Course One of Photography Basics and Beyond: From Smartphone to DSLR! In these first 4 Modules you will gain the knowledge and the confidence that will help you make good choices as you consider qualities of the camera you own, and the qualities of the other types of digital cameras you might be considering. You will learn about the basic functions that most digital cameras have in common. You will also go beyond the "technical" matters and learn about how you can make exciting pictures by emphasizing the aspects of Frame and Vantage Point to interpret old subjects in new ways. Discovering accessories that photographers find useful, and the types of camera bags from mini to carry-on sized, is also in store for you. You will also make your first photographs and, if you are a subscriber to the specialization, upload pictures to the web gallery and start interacting with your fellow learners in our "Gallery." Let's get started with Module One!...

By R

Dec 23, 2017

This course was very informative and provided just the right amount of challenge for me to stretch my creativity and newly obtained knowledge. I enjoyed it and I am looking forward to the next course.

By ME

Sep 12, 2016

Very good coarse...I am now taking #3 soon be finished, its just keeps getting better all the time...its so good I may move to Michigan, .... but then who would root for USC (Trojans- the real USC

496 Reviews

By Luis G. Lopez-de-Victoria Rodriguez

Apr 16, 2019

Very time convenient, well taught, Peter and Mark are clear an to the point on what to do and not to do in the world of photography. Easy to understand and full of great examples.

By Priyanka Frances Pereira

Apr 14, 2019

Excellent technical information!

By Ann M. Senior

Apr 13, 2019

Love photography and I have taken alot of photos in my 64 years but this course has given me a new look at how to make them better. Thank you for providing this class

By rhonda morgan

Apr 10, 2019

loved it

By Chieko Tanaka

Apr 06, 2019

It’s a great resource to learn photography. However, I think peer-graded-system can be troublesome because I had a difficulty to find peers in week4. I was the only person who submitted the final project, so nobody gave me feedbacks. I was supposed to wait until new peers reached the final. If you had a trouble to find peers, I recommend you to ask the learning help center.

By ATUL SORAL

Apr 01, 2019

wonderful course to do

By Owen Milner

Mar 27, 2019

I enjoyed the content and pace of the course. Some areas were a revision for me but am still very glad I decided to go with the course

By joy oakey

Mar 24, 2019

get to know your camera as well as making great photos

By Nicole Souza

Mar 11, 2019

I really like this course and feel like I learned alot about photography

By Antonia Tejeda Barros

Mar 09, 2019

This course is great. You learn a lot. The teachers are amazing. BUT, hardly nobody is reviewing the assignments. It's very frustrating to do your assignment and have to wait many days for getting a grade or even a certificate because not enough people are reviewing the assignments. Many students had the same concern. Otherwise, the course is great.