Back to Stanford Introduction to Food and Health

TL

Oct 01, 2016

Extremely interesting course. I feel the material and videos were very easy to absorb and understand. I certainly would recommend this to anyone with an interest in food and how it affects our health.

AE

Jun 22, 2018

2576 - 2600 of 2,727 Reviews for Stanford Introduction to Food and Health

By Diana H F P

Jan 12, 2018

It is well edited and has good but very basic information of nutrition which is not what I wanted, I wanted a more advanced nutrition course, this was not for me, but if you don't know anything about nutrition this is a good course and takes you through the basics so you can have a better understanding.

By Hemant C

Jun 06, 2016

I expected little more in terms of how to structure food habits and diets

By Marcia P

Jan 30, 2016

To me , you were preaching to the choir. I have been trying to follow Pollan's ideas for years. I was hoping for new information, but for me it was a rehash of stuff I have heard ad infinite. this did not seem like a class. This seemed more like an advertisement for healthy eating with it constant music and sparse content. Certainly it did not have the rigorous content that would have been required in a college level credited class. It was certainly not as interesting nor as informative as the Berkeley class "edible education 101"

Still as an advertisement for good eating it was well done. If you found an audience out there somewhere who had not heard these messages, then you have succeeded and I applaud you for that.

By Susan M M

Sep 01, 2017

I enjoyed most of the information in this course. The last week recipes and instructions seemed ridiculous as it was out of sync with: "eat food, not too much, mostly plants." I would have appreciated some plant based recipes. These recipes had too much dairy and meat. <3

By Laura S

May 03, 2016

good overall conversation about food

By Adalberto C

Aug 31, 2016

The topics discussed into this course are really interesting. The videos give some perspective at the time of taking care of our own health and eating habits.

The only problem I see, is the shortness of the course and the videos. The topics don't go beyond the surface and there is a lack of: details, examples, and comparisons between healthy diets and harmful ones.

By Rui d S

Jun 22, 2017

Good for non-professional people in the nutrition area. Super easy and understandable.

By KellI

Mar 20, 2016

Good "basics" course. Great for beginners and reminders!

I was hoping for something more advanced & was a bit disappointed. I am probably more knowledgeable than most however. The statement made regarding "eating fruits & veggies regardless of whether they have pesticides or not" was a bit tough for me as I became ill in part due to pesticides and still am. I might always be. I understand eating veggies in place of other foods (i. e. - processed foods) as I eat very little meat anymore. But coming from Stanford and someone as educated as he is, that was shocking. It makes me wonder who funded this course.

By Sol A

Jan 23, 2016

an easy course, i would reccomend it to novices to nutritional science. If you're a more seasoned nutritionist, move on and find a more challenging course.

By Boya D

Jan 04, 2018

The course is very introductory but well laid out. If you are already doing some readings on nutrition before this course, you will find more 50% of the course to be familiar. I really wish that the course is longer and have some more in-depth information, and possibly some more insights related to the various diet trends we see now.

By Jotsna I

Mar 05, 2016

Not much depth

By William E

Feb 15, 2016

a tad simplistic - grades should be locked too

By Sandra M

Apr 06, 2017

I actually enjoyed this class very much, but it doesn't go very deep in the topic. The questions to the quiz are very easy to answer to. In my opinion, this class is great for a general public, but it is not an university level course.

By Ramune S

Jan 19, 2017

Very basic course for American non-healthy food consumers. Would never call it a university course. Not useful for professionals.

By Stephanie H

Jul 09, 2017

I appreciate this course, the quality of the videos, and the subject manner, however I felt that a lot of the material was drawn from an interview with Michael Pollan (why not just recommend reading his books, or seeing his wealth of documentaries on Netflix, such as "Cooked" and "In Defense of Food." I felt that this course did not offer as much scientific information about nutrition as I was hoping. Having said that, I feel like this course would be great for those struggling with their weight. There should be a link to this on diabetes and heart disease websites.

By Amber R

Jul 26, 2017

I enjoyed this course and thought it provided helpful, but very basic, information. I would recommend it for anyone who has little to no knowledge about the subject matter.

By Maria A M

Oct 19, 2016

Very basic

By Alexandra L

Feb 19, 2016

Beautifully executed and fun to hear Michael Pollen speak, but sooooo easy. Too easy, really.

By Samantha O

Jun 30, 2017

The first two weeks contained very basic information about nutrition which was educational and presented in an organized and helpful way. The second two weeks focused on building a "healthy" meal. The final week is a cooking course with recipes and cooking demos. The information in the last three weeks was organized well but did not seem to be based on varied resources and scientific studies but rather on the information Michael Pollan presents in his books. The class would have greatly benefited from a nutrition or medical professional who could give scientific insight.

Overall this course would be helpful for people with little to no knowledge of food or nutrition but does not explore the vast amount of research the covers how our bodies process and react to foods and how those foods can impact our health and major chronic diseases.

By Pim M

Aug 24, 2016

Short and concise. The course strongly aims for USA residents who eat too much. If you are that person, this course is perfect. As someone from another country without health problems, there was not much here. I was hoping to learn more about food and how to optimize my diet so as to increase energy, improve mood, increase life-expectancy, and reduce chances for depression. I found nothing about that. But it's not so bad because the course took me less than 3 hours and I still picked up a few things :).

By Jennifer H

Feb 01, 2016

This seems like a good overview for those new to the kitchen, and/or health concerns more generally. For someone interested in deepening their understanding, it's of more limited value--but it is presented as an introduction. I wish there were readings to supplement the videos.

By Uelinton M P

Mar 29, 2016

In the beginning it feels like a course, but from week three on it feels more like a conversation about food. It is more suitable for people with very little background n food science and nutrition, aiming to get some knowl on these fields. But the views are quite one sided and necessarily true when it comes to the understanding of the food chain. Of course, many of their opinions are valid, but I wouldn´t accept those views as solid rock statements because they are not.

In any case, I recomend the course for people with obesity problems and those who are too lazy to think about the importance of home cooking.

The quality of the videos is outstanding! Congratulations!

By Aliya B

Sep 13, 2017

The given information is useful, but i've already known the most part of it

By Shivam S

Feb 04, 2018

If you are wanting something more technical, this is not the course for you. The concepts are simple to follow and for the common man. Its more of a motivational documentary than a course.