Back to Stanford Introduction to Food and Health

VI

It was an interesting and informative, at a basis level, course. The information is easy to understand and the new gained knowledges tend to remain in your memory, due to short and interactive videos.

NK

Feb 25, 2019

It was very informative course. It could have more quizzes and assignments. The way things were explained in the course was quiet interesting. Keep it up!! course. I really like this way of education.

3176 - 3200 of 4,001 Reviews for Stanford Introduction to Food and Health

By tommaso b

Apr 11, 2018

Honestly, I believe that this course is specifically directed to population not accostumed to cook food at home (e.g. North americans). I am mediterrenean, hence I am accustomed to cook myself since I was 18 years old, and possibly most of my friends as well. That is, the course was definitely interesting, although the part I enjoyed more was the first week, where I learned a lot, while all the others were just basically listening to well known facts. Thanks

By Ryann G

Feb 14, 2016

I enjoyed this course and learning, specifically how to adapt a healthier diet and the evolution of food in the US. The videos were interesting and the information was insightful and applicable to daily life. The only thing I might change in the course is having the professor incorporate definitions to some of the terms (i.e. nutrient dense, ​, metabolic​ abnormalities) in the videos, or as a supplemental document.

I would recommend this course to others.

By Sarah S K

Feb 14, 2020

Some

Of the information provided in this course is slightly dated, and while well intentioned, could be contributing to a larger misconception and underestimated value of animal fats and proteins. For instance in one video animal based saturated fats are deemed less healthy than plant based saturated fats, despite being more stable. Overall a good course, starts the learning off on the right path, but should consider updating some of the material.

By Yashodhara P

Sep 04, 2017

Basic and to-the-point...This course is good for those who want to understand the fundamentals of healthy meal planning and nutrition. Covers the importance of the macro-nutrients in diet and how to plan a healthy diet strategy accordingly. Its a short course and you can cover all modules/videos in a day. The assessments are all quiz based. There is no writing involved. Recommended for those interested in healthy eating and meal planning.

By James S

May 04, 2020

This was a very interesting short course on Nutrition. Personally, I found the information surrounding methods to moderate eating habits the most interesting however i disagree with the 6 staple items to have at home. Having Oil, Sugar, and Salt as three of them doesn't seem to fit with the overall message of the course about consuming micro nutrient dense food then have sugars from intrinsic sources whilst looking at labels low in sodium.

By Nevine A

Feb 08, 2017

I am loving the Stanford nutrition courses. I think this course, plus the Child nutrition course should be mandatory for all human beings. What I wish could be done is that their would be offered more serious courses, ones where people considering the career would truly benefit from. These classes seem more general and light, which is good for people that just want basic knowledge, but insufficient for people seeking more than just that.

By Zvi Z D C

Jul 11, 2017

Although not a course exactly, more like a brief introduction to the food industry, mainly in the USA, this still has a very pleasant lecturer, sharing a bit of knowledge, but also quite a lot of kitchen. I find the music accompanying the videos nice, yet out of place, making it seem more like an advertisement than an actual course. I would give a 3.5 stars if was possible, but due to the heart in the course, 4 is better suited than 3.

By Anne C

Feb 01, 2016

This is a great introductory and time efficient course that allows anyone to get a brief overview of a healthy life style. This course, aside from the first video, does not go into the nutritional value of food or micro nutrient variables. So, if you'd like to get more information on how to cultivate your own healthy life style this is a great choice. However, if you'd like the more scientific side of things this course is not for you.

By Delisa O

Sep 23, 2016

This course was great for an introductory course to food and health because it emphasized getting back to the basics of real food and cooking simply. It lost a star because I felt like there were certain topics that needed a more in depth and less cursory approach. They were almost dismissive at times for the sake of "keeping it simple" whereas a simple suggestion about washing produce to remove pesticides could've been helpful.

By Stephanie C

Feb 21, 2020

I thoroughly enjoyed the course but was looking for more, as in a Part II. I am not sure how the Week 5 fits in- is it actually part of the course? Nevertheless the GF recipes were a bonus as my diet is GF as much as possible.

I have just one comment about the quizzes: the answer to one of the questions was actually in the next week’s lesson.

Good way to keep learning! I am new to this and will continue online learning.

By Marcela L

Apr 15, 2020

I liked a lot the course ,even if it is a basic one. I eat 95% homemade food ,so many of the things they were

talking about are already things I do in my each day routine,I even take my own food to work so I do not eat around junky food. I appreciated the information and the ideeas to help make it easier to cook at home and be more careful about what one eats and the tips of moderating the quantity. Thank you !

By Vasundhara

Feb 21, 2018

The information in the video was very informative and will assist me in taking informed judgement about the food and its nutritional value when i go to the supermarket next time. It gave me new dimension of looking at food and also learned lot of new recipes. My must try is going to be ricotta cake and i also love the fact that the recipes will assist to those who are gluten free as well. Great course over all!!

By Neil R

Oct 07, 2017

After finishing this course, I can confidently say that I do have a better understanding when it comes to the nutritional component (e.g. micronutrient and macronutrient values) and quality of food. It is simple to understand and the information given is well presented. There might be some things and ideas that I don't agree with, but overall the knowledge you can gain from this short course is worth the time.

By Yuliia K

Apr 26, 2017

The course is easy to listen and comprehend, and all material is pretty practical. However, it is rather superficial. I myself maintain a healthy lifestyle, and I didn't learn almost anything new from it (i'd say, around 5% of the information was new to me). I expected more. On the other hand, it's a good course for people with weight&lifestyle problems to figure out first steps towards a healthier lifestyle.

By Giselle M

Mar 15, 2018

Very easy and nice way to present food and health, but I really believe it is also important to consume organic as much as possible and it should be incentivises , as we know pesticide in excess is also harmful in the long run for our health and planet, if we want to educate the population, let's educate and also taking our planet into consideration, as we have the 17 development goals to achieve by 2030.

By SARAH H A

Sep 06, 2016

Very informative course, which has encouraged me to research the topic further and to adopt a healthier lifestyle. Based on my research, however, I believe a mistake might have been made. According to the instructional material, the only group of essential fatty acids is omega-3. Based on my research, however, essential fatty acids include ALA, an omega-3 fatty acid, and LA, which is an omega-6 fatty acid.

By Mohit

Jan 19, 2016

I am currently pursuing this course and I find this course to be very simple for a rookie to understand and implement. It clears a large amount of myths that we have regarding different types of food. I understand that in order to gain full benefit of this course we need to implement the stuff presented in this course. So I will start the implementation and additional research required very soon.

By Maribel Z

Feb 03, 2016

Videos are very clear and very well explained... Nice animations, graphs, ... definitely a great piece of work.

However, I have to say that I expected more content/theory on food and health inside our body rather than general advises on how to cook at home. I am a person that cooks already at home and does not like to eat much processed food, so majority of videos I found too simple and basic...

By Juan J B L

Apr 02, 2018

It is a good place to start thinking about how to change your eating habbits. I looked for a course like this on YT but no luck. I didn't want to research diets, I wanted a holistic understanding of nutrition itself so I can make personally informed decisions. I want to understand how and why things work and don't work, rather than just trusting diet; this course really helped kick that off.

By LAKSHMI V

Oct 11, 2017

This course is presented in a neat and friendly manner. The simple language in explanation and illustration makes it enjoyable to delve into the course. I personally liked the way suggestions were presented in taking care of one's own and family health, rather than making it technical. I am glad I to have taken up and completed the course. Wishing many more delightful courses from Maya Adam.

By Deborah

Sep 06, 2016

This was an easy course and I found the information very helpful in making you aware of processed food. I think it could have been a bit richer by exploring some other areas of health and food. I felt like the main focus was on processed food. The good thing though I learnt so much about processed food and I'm making every effort to cut it and eventually eliminat it from my diet.

By Yixuan J

Jun 19, 2017

For an introduction course this is very clear and easy to understand. Some of the action plans, such as sensible substitution are very practical to adopt. I would wish this course to be more comprehensive, for example, not just focused on battling most common health issues in the US, but also health benefits of different vitamins or nutrition planning for different demographies.

By Yumiko Y

Feb 09, 2019

This course was easy to understand, gave me chance to recheck my eating habit. As a Japanese I thought I know a lot about nutrition, food and health issue, since my mother often taught me with these issues including how to cook. However to learn from a professional from the start made me more clear and gave me the confidence what I learn from my mother was overall correct.

By Jessica J

Nov 15, 2017

Very interesting introduction to health, understanding food labels, and how to make better choices. Everything was explained clearly and the structure was well prepared. I would have loved for it to further in depth into how the body is affected by different foods. I was also surprised and disappointed to see white sugar being suggested to use, especially in the recipes.

By Jamie V

Apr 08, 2020

This is a great course! Although it was mostly a review of things that I already knew, I highly enjoyed learning about the properties of macronutrients and how they are digested in the body. I also appreciated learning about processed food versus real food and the recipe videos. I would love to see more content about other nutrients and specific foods in the future!