Back to Foundations of Public Health Practice: The Public Health Approach

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Foundations of Public Health Practice: The Public Health Approach by Imperial College London

The Public Health Approach course is the first instalment of the wider Foundations of Public Health Practice specialisation from Imperial College London's Global Master of Public Health (MPH). The scope and content of this course has been developed from the ground up by a combined team of academics and practitioners drawing on decades of real-world public health experience as well as deep academic knowledge. Through short video lectures, practitioner interviews and a wide range of interactive activities, learners will be immersed in the world of public health practice. Designed for those new to the discipline, over four modules (intended for four weeks of learning), learners will become familiar with the scope, origins, ethics, principles and paradigms of public health practice. But there is also important foundational content for those coming from more experienced practitioner backgrounds. The 'Public Health Approach' is a phrase that is used widely to describe an up-stream, preventive, values-driven and evidence-based approach to improving population health. By the end of this course, learners will be confident with identifying and describing a wide range of public health challenges using the language and reference points of the public health profession. The subsequent courses require the knowledge from this course, as learners will be introduced to the public health toolkit of health needs assessment and evaluation, before taking deeper dives into behaviour change and health protection....

SO
Sep 18, 2020

Nice course. However, I finished my peer review assignment 4 days ago, and I am still yet to get a grade. I have reviewed 7 assignments so I do not understand why mine has not been reviewed.

KM
Sep 24, 2020

This was an excellent survey course in the basics of Public Health. It is not easy! Prof. Pinder and the rest of his crew are very articulate and clear. They make it look easy. It isn't!

1 - 25 of 65 Reviews for Foundations of Public Health Practice: The Public Health Approach

By Anna H

Apr 18, 2020

Well-organized and easy to understand. Aside from comprehensive lectures, there are plenty of external materials to refer to, where you will make it easier to relate to the real world and therefore learn better.

If you are a complete beginner, beware: some of the lectures and quiz need some (basic) background in epidemiology, which can be misleading and difficult to complete if you have no idea what the terms are. If I did not have the previous background I would appreciate being told early in the course that such knowledge might be necessary, so I could prepare in advance.

By Nithyalakshmi k

Amazing Lecturer, fantastically organized course

Thank You so much to Coursera & Imperial College London

By Cristiano F

Aug 27, 2020

I really liked the course and the teaching team. It has very interesting topics, some are provocative but absolutely updated. You are given some nice readings and resources to complement your learning experience. The assessments (multi-choice questions) are not easy. They demand you to listen carefully to the contents of the course, review and to be reflective. It goes beyond the basics and constitutes a good and challenging learning opportunity to everyone who cares about public health. It is absolutely cost worthy. High recommendable.

By Nicole P

Apr 9, 2020

Incredibly well-delivered and organized. It is clear how much work went into the preparation of this course.

Strengths: provided relevant external material to support the learning process, such as publications and public health reports that allowed us to be critical about best practice.

The only thing that I feel could be improved upon would be better engagement with the faculty/staff of the course.

By Jack M

Oct 4, 2020

A very informative course that provides very important day to day approaches in the field of public health. How public health impacts individuals lives and the solutions to them. The course is perfectly scripted and researched and very simple to understand and provides knowledge that can be applied to handle difficult situations.

By Laura J

May 4, 2020

I really enjoyed taking part in this course. The lectures were clear, informative and engaging - the latter point surprised me, as I have not previously taken any online ourses. However, after this I will definintely continue with the next module. Thanks to the teaching team for a great introduction to Public Health!

By Caitlin M

Jul 6, 2020

Great introduction to public health. I approached this course as something new, and topical to dive into; and it has confirmed my passion for public health. Gave me the opportunity to properly consider how a career in public health could look. Good structure and continually testing throughout to keep up motivation.

By Kweku B

May 4, 2020

Richard Pinder has put together a well thought out course, I didn't expect to gain so much from undertaking this course. The explanations are concise and coherent and ultimately easy to follow, the resources complement learning. This has given me a strong foundation in Public Health.

By David A N

Jun 9, 2020

It took a bit to get a handle on the direction of the course and then I turned the corner and saw the reason I had to struggle at first. I enjoyed the course, learned a lot of foundational things and am ready to go on to the Tool Kit.

By Isabella M

May 7, 2020

What an introduction to Public Health ! Unbeatable. Usefull for healthcare practitioners but also other professionals that may be envolved in health policies, decision making politics, etc.

By Deborah S

Apr 17, 2020

This course was very informative and very interesting. I really enjoyed learning about Public Health and thought the instructors did a great job!

By Marina B M

Jun 15, 2020

It is lovely! I enjoy every video, which are short but complete. In addition, all the tasks and activities are amazing.

By Joyce B

May 2, 2020

I really like the shorter video's and quizzes in between, the content was concise and thorough

By Shaibu I

Apr 17, 2020

Great content and lecturers, keep it up

By Silvia I

So much eye opening facts for beginner

By Emmanuel U

It was a wonderful learning experience

By S R

Very good useful information and new technologies are learnt. It is useful for future generation students also.

By Compaoré G D

Feb 11, 2020

It was an interesting practical course. The instructors were excellent !

By Philemon N

Oct 22, 2020

Dear Teachers and Students collegues,

After reading and understanding the foundation of this course in public health practice, I gained new knowledge in terms of public health. Although my abilities are strengthened, it is my responsibility to implement or apply these skills in our routine work to save lives.

I can never end without saying thank you to the various presenters or course providers for their frank collaboration and assiduity in the rich content of the courses, which we have taken note of and will use as a review in the future. Thereafter, I also thank the colleagues of this forum for the formative discussion in a fraternal atmosphere with more edifying ideas. I learned a lot from you dear colleagues.

Learning has no age, we are all obliged to learn further knowledge or strengthen our capacities for a noble work to save lives either through prevention, life extension and ultimately treatment in the case of emergencies.

That said, see you soon in other sessions.

Yours sincerely,

By Kifner R M Q

Oct 15, 2020

This course is excellent! The effort they put into coming up with this interactive and well-versed course just amazes me. I'm not gonna lie, it was challenging! The quizzes, discussion prompts, and the final assignment really test your understanding of the subject! I had a public health subject back in college but this course taught key concepts I have not learned before. I guess that's a taste of Imperial College London for us! Never thought I'd have fun learning this course! Thank you for giving us an opportunity to learn more about public health!

By Lisbeth A O R

Jul 1, 2020

Thank you so much to Coursera, Public health team at Imperial College of London, Dr Pinder and National University of Colombia for allowing me to participate in this course. I really enjoy it, I learnt different approaches in public health, the interactive learning tools were so innovative and I shared my experiences with students from different parts of the globe. Many thanks!

By Samantha I

Jul 29, 2020

The course was a great introduction to Public Health. The lessons and assignments set were challenging and allowed me to gain an in depth passion for this subject area. With the recent pandemic its been good to know the people who are working behind the scenes. Looking forward to the next part of the course.

By Alejandro R

Oct 19, 2020

I enjoyed very much, and did all the sections with a lot of enthusiasm and learnt a lot in every single part. Although, I am a Public Health professor and have experience working in the field, this review has been helpful to reflect over our jobs as consultants and teaching.

By Héctor V

Aug 8, 2020

The course instructors, materials and topics covered were all outstanding. The theory framework presented was clear and always relevant, and I especially appreciate their efforts in making students get into the public health worker mindset from the first lecture.

By Alina F

Aug 12, 2020

It is a great course that is suitable both for those who have some experience in public health and those who are new in the field. The tasks are interesting to complete and the instructors are very enthusiastic about the topic.