Back to Hardware Description Languages for FPGA Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Hardware Description Languages for FPGA Design by University of Colorado Boulder

3.7

This course can also be taken for academic credit as ECEA 5361, part of CU Boulder’s Master of Science in Electrical Engineering degree. Hardware Description Languages for Logic Design enables students to design circuits using VHDL and Verilog, the most widespread design methods for FPGA Design. It uses natural learning processes to make learning the languages easy. Simple first examples are presented, then language rules and syntax, followed by more complex examples, and then finally use of test bench simulations to verify correctness of the designs. Lecture presentations are reinforced by many programming example problems so that skill in the languages is obtained. After completing this course, each student will have fundamental proficiency in both languages, and more importantly enough knowledge to continue learning and gaining expertise in Verilog and VHDL on their own....

1 - 11 of 11 Reviews for Hardware Description Languages for FPGA Design

By Ilan C

Dec 21, 2019

Too simple, no real practice; vhdl and verilog assignments are exactly the same

By Shashank V M

Dec 25, 2019

The course was practical and interesting.

By David T

Dec 28, 2019

Though some exercises are not well defined. It was fun to search and debug in the tools. It is one way to learn the great field of FPGA programming. Up to RiscV ...

By Ashish S T

Jan 08, 2020

The content is taught well and the material is helpful to prepare for more intricate circuit designs. I am very satisfied with the guidance through both languages - VHDL and Verilog.

However, there is little guidance for the assignments, many of which are open for interpretation. Unfortunately, this leads to extrapolating the proper instructions through trial and error while investigating simulation results. The course needs to improve clarity for homework assignments.

By Joseph G

Jan 23, 2020

There are a lot of unfixed issues with this course and the instructors are AWOL.

By Michael J M

Feb 08, 2020

This course is confusing and not laid out in a way that is conducive to learning. I would be surprised to know what learning pedagogues the instructors tried to employ. This unfortunately is par for the course from my experience in the colorado university Electrical Engineering department. It is a classic case of "Im an engineer, being in my presence will impart knowledge on you. I don't have a lesson plan or even know what the scientific process of education entails"

This is a teach yourself course with numerous pages of reading but only one of the three books is provided.

In 5 minutes I found online resources for free with step by step examples, vhdl example code, pspice pin outs and testbenches to verify. FOR FREE!!!!!!!

luckily I am not seeking a piece of paper from CU BOULDER. I am seeking knowledge so I am going else where.

By Erik L

Jan 08, 2020

I wish I could give a higher rating, because it is an interesting course. But there are multiple issues with the content, presentation and assignments. I was assured by Coursera that the issues would be addressed by the course providers, but this has not happened.

By Benjamin P A

Jan 28, 2020

So far this course isn't what I expected, very poor explained programming assignments. I'm currently at week 2 and the FIFO assignment and it is not explained very good.

By Miron I

Jan 06, 2020

I am giving 5 stars despite many complaints regarding the missing pieces that hampered our progress. But it was very challenging, and I am still not sure if the so called "errors on Coursera platform" weren't actually purposely introduced by both professor in order to stimulate our neurons in the pursuit of solutions. I am looking forward for the next in series.

By vasudevan

Jan 16, 2020

Great experience. Nice learning opportunity. However, please include assignments which are little more diverse and difficult.

By Meleah C

Jan 05, 2020

Between the huge gaps in the information taught and the extremely faulty software provided, this course is far too difficult. And I ALREADY know one of the languages taught. I can't imagine trying to take this course as a beginner. References are made to textbooks that are never introduced, the submit system for programming assignments is ridiculous, and ModelSim does not even provide error feedback, which is crucial for a beginner. Dropping this course.