Back to Game Theory II: Advanced Applications

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Game Theory II: Advanced Applications by Stanford University

Popularized by movies such as "A Beautiful Mind", game theory is the mathematical modeling of strategic interaction among rational (and irrational) agents. Over four weeks of lectures, this advanced course considers how to design interactions between agents in order to achieve good social outcomes. Three main topics are covered: social choice theory (i.e., collective decision making and voting systems), mechanism design, and auctions. In the first week we consider the problem of aggregating different agents' preferences, discussing voting rules and the challenges faced in collective decision making. We present some of the most important theoretical results in the area: notably, Arrow's Theorem, which proves that there is no "perfect" voting system, and also the Gibbard-Satterthwaite and Muller-Satterthwaite Theorems. We move on to consider the problem of making collective decisions when agents are self interested and can strategically misreport their preferences. We explain "mechanism design" -- a broad framework for designing interactions between self-interested agents -- and give some key theoretical results. Our third week focuses on the problem of designing mechanisms to maximize aggregate happiness across agents, and presents the powerful family of Vickrey-Clarke-Groves mechanisms. The course wraps up with a fourth week that considers the problem of allocating scarce resources among self-interested agents, and that provides an introduction to auction theory. You can find a full syllabus and description of the course here: http://web.stanford.edu/~jacksonm/GTOC-II-Syllabus.html There is also a predecessor course to this one, for those who want to learn or remind themselves of the basic concepts of game theory: https://www.coursera.org/learn/game-theory-1 An intro video can be found here: http://web.stanford.edu/~jacksonm/Game-Theory-2-Intro.mp4...

LV

May 02, 2017

Very interesting! One missing thing: please write explanations for correct/incorrect questions in quizzes. In the basic course, I found them very helpful in understanding why my reasoning was wrong.

AS

Sep 11, 2016

Outstanding course on Game Theory. Provides excellent mathematical and logical treatment of the concepts and theory. A perfect stepping stone for researchers willing to pursue their research in Gam

1 - 25 of 73 Reviews for Game Theory II: Advanced Applications

By Diogo C

Jul 01, 2018

Better than the first course. The topics were less familiar to me, so it opened a few more doors.I still feel like the math was neglected, most of the time. I don't expect every derivation, but at least an acknowledgement of where the formulas come from if one wants to derive them himself.The graded quizzes should have provided an explanation of the correct answers, I think. Sometimes that explanation made everything clearer to me (when I got the correct by mistake or by simple elimination).I really appreciate the reading material! At least I can now follow the subject more in-depth if I want, so that's very welcome.Overall, still feels like a fairly light overview, but it's a good introduction to the subjects of mechanism design and auctions, I feel.

By Lisa V

May 02, 2017

By Mariano B P

May 30, 2018

Excellent! i think it shall contain more realistic examples for mechanism development and auctions

By 汪宇恒

Apr 03, 2018

too hard...need some analysis background

By Runyang W

Jan 08, 2019

话题主要为高级微观中的机制设计,非常适合我这种转专业的同学

By Ashish k

Jan 10, 2019

Brilliant mind-teaser, helps you form skills that will lead to logical thinking in strategic interplays between everyday events and even the more complex one.

By 高瀚邦

Mar 06, 2019

Maybe harder than I, but obviously, more useful.

By Lucas F d C M

Mar 10, 2019

The professors are great!

I think the students would profit more if there were more exercises to track their learning.

I had some difficulties because sometimes it requires an advanced level in math which I don't have.

Eventhough, I could enjoy and acquire some valuable skills.

Thank you!

Sincerily,

Lucas M.

By Reza

Oct 08, 2017

this was a cool course. But not sure how I'll use the learnings in the future :)

By Tomer

Sep 26, 2016

Great course. I have learned a lot and very thankful for the wonderful instructors.

By Jose A T

Sep 23, 2017

I enjoyed a lot this course. The instructors are among the best worldwide.

By Scott M

Mar 23, 2017

Outstanding course.

By Avik S

Sep 11, 2016

By Vladislav S

Jan 07, 2018

Very interesting course, however it requires a lot of effort to put in. I struggled a little bit through math and sometimes it was difficult for me to get a concept but reading adjuctment materials helped me a lot. I think this course was a great complement to my game theory studies. You definetely will learn many fascinating things about mechanism design and auctions!

By Christian L

Sep 20, 2017

Quite Hard but very interesting

By Arnaud P R

Mar 14, 2017

Great experience. Lotof fun. Awaiting the third volume...

By Anders A

Mar 13, 2018

Solid through the entire course, good lectures and interesting tasks. Only missing a few explanations in some of the task.

By Venkatraman R

Jan 17, 2018

Very interesting material.

By Abhiraj H

Jul 23, 2017

Loved the course.It is a little on the hard side but is overall very enjoyable and enriching.

By Rinkesh V

Sep 15, 2016

finest course

By Metin B

Oct 21, 2016

So much information given, in very compact but clear style, in short time. Great course

By Zahid A

Nov 19, 2016

Enjoyed the course, Thank you so much