Back to The Arts and Science of Relationships: Understanding Human Needs

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Arts and Science of Relationships: Understanding Human Needs by University of Toronto

4.4

This course provides an introduction to: 1. Basic concepts of The Strategies and Skills Learning and Development System (SSLD), their relevance for every day relationships and provide advanced concepts for participants who work in fields of social work and health care . 2. Basic practice principles and methods of SSLD, illustrated by relationship management case studies. 3. The SSLD framework for relationship management assessment; N3C (needs, circumstances, characteristics, capacity) and problem translation. 4. Core competencies in the relationship management application of the SSLD system: Observation learning, simulation, real life implementation, review and monitoring....

VS

Jul 20, 2019

The course contents are somewhat specialised and I'm glad it's offered free of charge.\n\nLearning this course helps in understanding dysfunctional relationship and how to change it from yourself

AS

May 03, 2018

Very interesting, with a practical approach and with many examples. Highly recommended as it offers a good insight on the way people form relationships and connect with others.

1 - 25 of 66 Reviews for The Arts and Science of Relationships: Understanding Human Needs

By Zalorén G

Feb 23, 2019

I love the contents of the course and that the students are putting themselves out there.

By Marc G

Aug 26, 2018

I have found this course a bit repetitive and somewhat common sense. The lectures are choppy, with way too many short video segments. I believe that sort of organization breaks the flow among videos that all refer to the same topic and makes it harder for the students to concentrate. Open-ended questions are also excessively frequent and students are asked to input text constantly even after learning very small amounts of material. This becomes tedious after a while. The contents covered are also very straightforward and I felt like the concept of 'needs' was incessantly repeated unnecessarily. The core of the course is good, but I think it could be shortened to perhaps 3 weeks instead of the current 6.

On a more positive note, one valuable piece of insight that I am taking with me after this course is the notion of N3Cs and a framework to conceptualize relationships in terms of the needs of the participants and whether they are being met or not. That is actually very valuable to me personally, as it helps explain many of the tensions and difficulties that I have experienced in my own relationships, and it helps me better understand the actions and thoughts of my current and previous partners, as well as friends and family. This is a very powerful idea, along with the knowledge that people’s needs and responses will vary depending on their capacities, characteristics and circumstances. It is crucial, I believe, to bear in mind the intersection between environmental pressures (circumstances) and personal attributes (characteristics and capacities) when interacting with others, in order to build stronger relationships rooted in honest understanding that will allow all participants to grow and flourish.

While I cannot say that I have learnt any concrete information from this course beyond this, I do believe that I have acquired a new mindset and the capacity to view relationships in a different light, and for that I am grateful to the instructors for the work they put into developing this course. Thank you!

By Sebass

Dec 16, 2017

This is really one of the best courses that I have ever took.

This course really opened my brain up on why some of my relationships weren't working. Understanding that everyone has needs in every relationship. You have to remember this for every relationship you're trying to create, or continue to develop.

Even the smartest people I know should take this course. Just because you're really smart in lets say programming, English, Science, etc... doesn't mean you know the dynamics of Relationships. I wish they taught this in public school, but they don't.

Thank you so much!

By Amalia S

May 03, 2018

By Jay W Y

Sep 04, 2017

Recommend for people in relationship difficulties, therapists, relationship coaches, and teachers

By Professor ( M A

Mar 04, 2019

Thank you so much for a great course and valuable information. Looking forward to having another nice course.

Warm regards,

Moniruzzaman Ahmed

By Sarkis K

Aug 02, 2019

The course discusses some interesting points, but the way they are delivered is terrible. Many short videos talk about very similar ideas, and in many cases, the subjects discussed in videoes are not well explained. It's not the best way to deliver this type of topic. If you're not a patient person, this course might drive you crazy.

By Jenifer M

Jan 15, 2018

I wanted to like this course. The topic is so interesting, but it is incredibly poorly presented. It seems everything is very surface and there is no way to properly understand the material because the short videos don't give enough information. lt seems like they are trying to drag information from the professor who doesn't want to give it. The video quality is very poor as well.

By Janki S

Apr 09, 2020

Great course. Not only did I learn a lot, but things which I already knew got a new perspective. Not only did I enjoy it but it helped in personal issues too. Another very useful thing is that after the course is over one still has access to it. So one can go back and access the material again and think about it. I think I got more out of it in my second run through it!

Felt some of the examiners were a bit simplistic. But on the whole a great course. Would highly recommend it.

By Debry W

Nov 22, 2019

Amazing course! Very challenging if you avoid (purposely or not) connection and empathy. In our crazy world we need to understand each other better and learn from each other. I completely recommend this MOOC. Thank you for sharing your knowledge, it already improved the way I interact with my friends and family for good! =)

By Aqdas N

Apr 06, 2020

This course sparked my understanding about what are relationships and how one can deal it. In our daily life routines we do not pay much attention to the needs and purpose of relationship. After having this course i now has realized that relationships are the key to know ourselves.

By Brent A

Mar 23, 2020

This course helped me understand my N3C so that I can understand other's better. This course is highly suggested for all professionals, without regard to specialization, specially if you are constantly building rapport with your clients and partners.

By Mostafa M

Oct 04, 2019

The course is thorough and very educating, I would love to increase my knowledge in such branch of human science. Videos are of acceptable length, books are amazing, and the conclusion videos are always spot on

By Victoria P H F

Jan 10, 2020

A very complete and excellently distributed course, every topic, every video, I loved I learned many things that I did not know, therefore they would allow me to grow more and better

By Diana G P

Aug 17, 2017

I like this course very much, it is a simple way to understand and cope with human relationship. It is helping me a lot with some situations, one of them is breakup relationship

By Prolay C

Feb 13, 2020

Excellent course on Human Relationship. I learned a lot and got a fresh perspective from this course, which I can apply to my life to improve all kinds of relationships.

By JUSTIN C N

Jun 01, 2019

The course is a good one, it brought to light the principle of SSLD, the need for self-awareness using N3C and the negative and positive aspect of social script.

By Allison D

Feb 05, 2018

I only just started this course, but I feel like I'm learning a lot about relationships, needs vs. wants, etc. I just started, but I highly recommend it anyways!

By Alexandros K

Sep 30, 2017

Excellent Content and actionable. I applied the knowledge i got from this course and have seen immediate positive results in my life. Thank You

By brenda k

Mar 21, 2020

A well structured and enjoyable course for anyone interested in improving their current or future relationships.

By Prabhakar K S

Jan 27, 2018

This course was very well designed. helped in understanding lots of issue in my close relationship.

By JOHN Q

Jul 31, 2017

Interesting and IMPORTANT class on and issue that should be important to us all : relationships!

By Dan

Oct 05, 2019

I found this course useful. It went into enough detail for me to get a grasp of all the concepts.

By Kaustubh G

Mar 18, 2018

Beautiful course and well explained, arranged and meticulously prepared. Keep it up.