Back to Medical Neuroscience

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Medical Neuroscience by Duke University

Medical Neuroscience explores the functional organization and neurophysiology of the human central nervous system, while providing a neurobiological framework for understanding human behavior. In this course, you will discover the organization of the neural systems in the brain and spinal cord that mediate sensation, motivate bodily action, and integrate sensorimotor signals with memory, emotion and related faculties of cognition. The overall goal of this course is to provide the foundation for understanding the impairments of sensation, action and cognition that accompany injury, disease or dysfunction in the central nervous system. The course will build upon knowledge acquired through prior studies of cell and molecular biology, general physiology and human anatomy, as we focus primarily on the central nervous system. This online course is designed to include all of the core concepts in neurophysiology and clinical neuroanatomy that would be presented in most first-year neuroscience courses in schools of medicine. However, there are some topics (e.g., biological psychiatry) and several learning experiences (e.g., hands-on brain dissection) that we provide in the corresponding course offered in the Duke University School of Medicine on campus that we are not attempting to reproduce in Medical Neuroscience online. Nevertheless, our aim is to faithfully present in scope and rigor a medical school caliber course experience. This course comprises six units of content organized into 12 weeks, with an additional week for a comprehensive final exam: - Unit 1 Neuroanatomy (weeks 1-2). This unit covers the surface anatomy of the human brain, its internal structure, and the overall organization of sensory and motor systems in the brainstem and spinal cord. - Unit 2 Neural signaling (weeks 3-4). This unit addresses the fundamental mechanisms of neuronal excitability, signal generation and propagation, synaptic transmission, post synaptic mechanisms of signal integration, and neural plasticity. - Unit 3 Sensory systems (weeks 5-7). Here, you will learn the overall organization and function of the sensory systems that contribute to our sense of self relative to the world around us: somatic sensory systems, proprioception, vision, audition, and balance senses. - Unit 4 Motor systems (weeks 8-9). In this unit, we will examine the organization and function of the brain and spinal mechanisms that govern bodily movement. - Unit 5 Brain Development (week 10). Next, we turn our attention to the neurobiological mechanisms for building the nervous system in embryonic development and in early postnatal life; we will also consider how the brain changes across the lifespan. - Unit 6 Cognition (weeks 11-12). The course concludes with a survey of the association systems of the cerebral hemispheres, with an emphasis on cortical networks that integrate perception, memory and emotion in organizing behavior and planning for the future; we will also consider brain systems for maintaining homeostasis and regulating brain state....

KT

Nov 22, 2018

I leant so much without even realising it until I got to the final exams and all this knowledge was making sense. Amazing lecturer with so much wisdom in the area. The course is very well delivered.

KR

Dec 22, 2016

I have not really taken any Neuroscience courses and I have to say this was very challenging with my already full-time load at school but I did it! Yay! I love Dr. White he is an awesome professor!

326 - 350 of 359 Reviews for Medical Neuroscience

By Rafael N G

Sep 03, 2019

Very didatic and complete.

By Lizeth V A B

Sep 08, 2019

Excellent course!!

By Bello B S

Apr 30, 2019

excellent introduction to Neuroscience

By AP

Sep 19, 2019

Amazing. This is what my medical neuroscience course in graduate school SHOULD have been. Dr. White is an excellent instructor, and the supplementary materials are excellent.

By Yesenia S

Sep 22, 2019

This is the course I have been looking for! Dr. White makes neuroanatomy sound easy (and that is really hard to do). His jovial personality and vast knowledge makes this course extremely interesting and easy to digest. I will recommend for anyone interested in learning neuroscience at any level of academic development. Thank you Dr. White!

By Maria D C C M

Sep 29, 2019

A marvellous experience!

I highly encourage you to enroll this course if you want to discover the complexity of our amazing brain!

Thank you Coursera and Duke university for sharing this knowledge to us.

By lakhinder

Oct 20, 2019

Incredible learning experience!

By Leonardo P R

Oct 20, 2019

Excelente curso , maravilloso profesor , bien logrado. Gracias al Profr. Dr. Len White, Ellen et al.

By Linh H N

Oct 21, 2019

This course provides me not only knowledge but also comprehensive vision to my specialty.

By Daniel B H

Oct 03, 2019

Just amazing!

By Julie L

Oct 26, 2019

Very eloquent teacher.

By Jaclyn M

Oct 28, 2019

I learned so much! One thing that became very obvious to me is that no matter how much I do learn, there is always more to learn about the brain! THANK YOU

By John L

Oct 11, 2019

Interesting and insightful course that builds tangible and practical knowledge

By Kristina S

Oct 11, 2019

Very difficult, but highly interesting)

By Kullyadi P S P

Nov 04, 2019

Very nice explanation

By Arnab M

Nov 03, 2019

Thorough, in-depth, conceptual

By MAYSSA

Oct 15, 2019

i have juste started the course and i find it very interesting and useful

By Adriana C L

Nov 10, 2019

Best online course I have ever taken (and it´s been quite a long list of them). Professor White made it all clear, easy to understand and quite a joy to study. Thanks for all the hard work behind this course. It was hard work but it was all worth it.

By César O Q M

Nov 23, 2019

The best course I´ve ever seen, with the very best professor.

Thanks

By Sonal N

Nov 26, 2017

This course helped me get an overview of the human brain.

By Samuel T I

Jan 08, 2017

Tough but it's worth it. Neuroscience is pretty fun!!

By Ei E K

Feb 01, 2017

very detail teaching and very good instructor.

By Patrick H

Jan 05, 2017

Really detailed course but super medical (obviously) rather than anything too cognitive. I'd strongly recommend being very confident with biological sciences and chemistry to do this course.

By genoveva g d

Nov 26, 2016

me parece un curso muy útil, completo y claro

Jul 05, 2016

Lots of self study required by anyone from a non-biology/medical background. This is a very interesting topic, and is a good course.