Back to Medical Neuroscience

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Medical Neuroscience by Duke University

Medical Neuroscience explores the functional organization and neurophysiology of the human central nervous system, while providing a neurobiological framework for understanding human behavior. In this course, you will discover the organization of the neural systems in the brain and spinal cord that mediate sensation, motivate bodily action, and integrate sensorimotor signals with memory, emotion and related faculties of cognition. The overall goal of this course is to provide the foundation for understanding the impairments of sensation, action and cognition that accompany injury, disease or dysfunction in the central nervous system. The course will build upon knowledge acquired through prior studies of cell and molecular biology, general physiology and human anatomy, as we focus primarily on the central nervous system. This online course is designed to include all of the core concepts in neurophysiology and clinical neuroanatomy that would be presented in most first-year neuroscience courses in schools of medicine. However, there are some topics (e.g., biological psychiatry) and several learning experiences (e.g., hands-on brain dissection) that we provide in the corresponding course offered in the Duke University School of Medicine on campus that we are not attempting to reproduce in Medical Neuroscience online. Nevertheless, our aim is to faithfully present in scope and rigor a medical school caliber course experience. This course comprises six units of content organized into 12 weeks, with an additional week for a comprehensive final exam: - Unit 1 Neuroanatomy (weeks 1-2). This unit covers the surface anatomy of the human brain, its internal structure, and the overall organization of sensory and motor systems in the brainstem and spinal cord. - Unit 2 Neural signaling (weeks 3-4). This unit addresses the fundamental mechanisms of neuronal excitability, signal generation and propagation, synaptic transmission, post synaptic mechanisms of signal integration, and neural plasticity. - Unit 3 Sensory systems (weeks 5-7). Here, you will learn the overall organization and function of the sensory systems that contribute to our sense of self relative to the world around us: somatic sensory systems, proprioception, vision, audition, and balance senses. - Unit 4 Motor systems (weeks 8-9). In this unit, we will examine the organization and function of the brain and spinal mechanisms that govern bodily movement. - Unit 5 Brain Development (week 10). Next, we turn our attention to the neurobiological mechanisms for building the nervous system in embryonic development and in early postnatal life; we will also consider how the brain changes across the lifespan. - Unit 6 Cognition (weeks 11-12). The course concludes with a survey of the association systems of the cerebral hemispheres, with an emphasis on cortical networks that integrate perception, memory and emotion in organizing behavior and planning for the future; we will also consider brain systems for maintaining homeostasis and regulating brain state....

KT

Nov 22, 2018

I leant so much without even realising it until I got to the final exams and all this knowledge was making sense. Amazing lecturer with so much wisdom in the area. The course is very well delivered.

KR

Dec 22, 2016

I have not really taken any Neuroscience courses and I have to say this was very challenging with my already full-time load at school but I did it! Yay! I love Dr. White he is an awesome professor!

226 - 250 of 371 Reviews for Medical Neuroscience

By César O Q M

Nov 23, 2019

The best course I´ve ever seen, with the very best professor.

Thanks

By Maliheh

Sep 18, 2017

Love This. The best course in neuroscience. Many thanks Dr. white.

By Guillaume C

Aug 08, 2017

Many such interesting things to learn ! Decidedly I love neuro ;)

By MONNIER A

May 06, 2017

Incroyable cours, pédagogique, intéressant, le bon rythme! GENIAL

By Mohamed A S

Aug 25, 2016

excellent course, but you need a very good basic on neuroscience

By Hameer K

Jan 06, 2019

This course is very interesting an others words brain booster!!

By Espedito R d C J

Dec 16, 2016

É um excelente curso para atualização médica. Muito proveitoso.

By Johanna L

Apr 15, 2018

Excelente curso, la distribución de los temas y las lecciones.

By Алена

Sep 23, 2016

It's great! Thank you for the very good and important work!)))

By Muhsin

Mar 12, 2018

The most comprehensive course I've seen so far. Thanks a lot.

By Zsolnai C

Sep 04, 2017

An excellent, in depth course with tons of learning material.

By Carlos T R

Jan 19, 2019

Already finished the first week of study and work. Amazing.

By ANGELOS A

Feb 14, 2017

An excellent Course, a very inspiring and effective tutor!

By Venus R A

Sep 25, 2017

This method of teaching is just phenomenal :) Thank you.

By Juliana N

Aug 11, 2016

É um curso muito exaustivo, porém muito bom. Vale a pena!

By Isabella G L

Aug 28, 2017

One of the best courses I´ve enrolled in my entire life.

By Biniyam A

Jun 21, 2017

I loved each and every bit of the lecture and the videos

By mohammed h

Sep 11, 2016

best course I have ever attended both online or in class

By Mar A

Apr 20, 2018

Excepcional! El profesor White es un gran profesional!

By KEERTHI R

Jun 11, 2017

I love it!!!!!! it was an awesome experience....!!!!!

By Djana R

Jun 24, 2018

The best course in Neuroscience!Strong recommended!

By Chris C

Aug 20, 2017

Very well laid out and taught clearly by Dr White

By Adam M

Oct 11, 2017

Comprehensive, Challenging, Excellent lecture.

By Grethe O N

Feb 14, 2017

Made me pass my neuroscience exam, THANK YOU!

By Alba

Oct 09, 2016

Excelente método para aprender rápido y fácil