Back to Medical Neuroscience

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Medical Neuroscience by Duke University

Medical Neuroscience explores the functional organization and neurophysiology of the human central nervous system, while providing a neurobiological framework for understanding human behavior. In this course, you will discover the organization of the neural systems in the brain and spinal cord that mediate sensation, motivate bodily action, and integrate sensorimotor signals with memory, emotion and related faculties of cognition. The overall goal of this course is to provide the foundation for understanding the impairments of sensation, action and cognition that accompany injury, disease or dysfunction in the central nervous system. The course will build upon knowledge acquired through prior studies of cell and molecular biology, general physiology and human anatomy, as we focus primarily on the central nervous system. This online course is designed to include all of the core concepts in neurophysiology and clinical neuroanatomy that would be presented in most first-year neuroscience courses in schools of medicine. However, there are some topics (e.g., biological psychiatry) and several learning experiences (e.g., hands-on brain dissection) that we provide in the corresponding course offered in the Duke University School of Medicine on campus that we are not attempting to reproduce in Medical Neuroscience online. Nevertheless, our aim is to faithfully present in scope and rigor a medical school caliber course experience. This course comprises six units of content organized into 12 weeks, with an additional week for a comprehensive final exam: - Unit 1 Neuroanatomy (weeks 1-2). This unit covers the surface anatomy of the human brain, its internal structure, and the overall organization of sensory and motor systems in the brainstem and spinal cord. - Unit 2 Neural signaling (weeks 3-4). This unit addresses the fundamental mechanisms of neuronal excitability, signal generation and propagation, synaptic transmission, post synaptic mechanisms of signal integration, and neural plasticity. - Unit 3 Sensory systems (weeks 5-7). Here, you will learn the overall organization and function of the sensory systems that contribute to our sense of self relative to the world around us: somatic sensory systems, proprioception, vision, audition, and balance senses. - Unit 4 Motor systems (weeks 8-9). In this unit, we will examine the organization and function of the brain and spinal mechanisms that govern bodily movement. - Unit 5 Brain Development (week 10). Next, we turn our attention to the neurobiological mechanisms for building the nervous system in embryonic development and in early postnatal life; we will also consider how the brain changes across the lifespan. - Unit 6 Cognition (weeks 11-12). The course concludes with a survey of the association systems of the cerebral hemispheres, with an emphasis on cortical networks that integrate perception, memory and emotion in organizing behavior and planning for the future; we will also consider brain systems for maintaining homeostasis and regulating brain state....

KT

Nov 22, 2018

I leant so much without even realising it until I got to the final exams and all this knowledge was making sense. Amazing lecturer with so much wisdom in the area. The course is very well delivered.

KR

Dec 22, 2016

I have not really taken any Neuroscience courses and I have to say this was very challenging with my already full-time load at school but I did it! Yay! I love Dr. White he is an awesome professor!

51 - 75 of 359 Reviews for Medical Neuroscience

By Dengrong J

Jul 17, 2018

Very comprehensive and in-depth! Dr. White explains things nicely. A wonderful part of this course is that it always links the science of nervous systems to the clinical symptoms.

By Sofiya M

Oct 08, 2017

The best course! Very challenging, but incredibly interesting and provides lots of useful information

By mohammed h

Sep 11, 2016

best course I have ever attended both online or in class

By Muhsin

Mar 12, 2018

The most comprehensive course I've seen so far. Thanks a lot.

By Jimmy N

Jun 21, 2016

This is an incredible resource for learning or reviewing neuroscience.

By Rabea L

Feb 19, 2017

Fantastic course for everybody who wants to get a view into this great topic. I'm studying Psychology at a German University and the course helped a lot.

By Zsuzsa F

Jun 06, 2018

oh my god

this course is mind blowing

By Grace L

Sep 06, 2016

A great course integrating all the interesting aspects of Neuroscience! Thank you for providing the online learners with such a wonderful c :)

By Pham Q T

Dec 25, 2016

This advanced-level course was designed carefully and clearly, so i think it's the best choice for those who's interested in medical neuroscience. However, learning through 13 weeks could dampen anyone who's just a beginner in this field, especially who is not native english speaker like me. Because there are many terms and knowledge to remember, then to coordinate and to express them again so that everybody could get the points. Even sometimes i found myself unable to extract my ideas in spite of understanding what's going on in discussions. At last, I wish prof. White and his partners a healthy and happy life :). It's really a nice work!

By Ramiro R A

Mar 22, 2017

One of the best, if not the best online courses I ever have taken. It is demanding, as neuroscience is. But it deserves the effort, no doubt.

By Fadhel B A

Jul 10, 2017

An amazing journey through the world of medical neuroscience. A captivating lecturer and a well structured course which can only lead to one outcome: increase in knowledge and sense of curiosity to learn more about the fascinating life of our neurostructures.

Thank you Dr. White and many thanks to the whole team for making this very complex matter accessible to everyone. I hope others will considered the completion of the course as the beginning of a pleasant "pathway" through more discoveries of the most complex organ of the human body.

By Ivan M M

Nov 15, 2017

Amazing from the very beginning to the last day, Thanks Dr Leonard White for taking us to this incredible journey

By Mohamed M

Sep 05, 2016

Admittedly, some topics (especially neural signaling) could be explained so much more simply. Professor White sometimes picks the most random starting points to explain a new topic rather than explaining the subject matter in a Point A-Point B manner. Other times, there are other topics where information is omitted in an attempt to not overcomplicate the subject, although sometimes that omitted information could have easily helped to explain what the professor was talking about.

That said, this is an incredibly thorough, clear, yet manageable course. This course has the hands-down best resources (lecture notes, clinical case studies, interactive anatomy program, and a separate website) of any Coursera class I've taken. I've learned more from this class than any single class I've taken on Coursera or in college. Hats off and big thanks to Professor White, Ellen Vos, and everyone involved in this course.

By Tereza R

Jun 09, 2016

A fantastic course with spectacular resources. Thank you so much for creating this!

By Wynnie N

Jun 04, 2017

Great source of learning resources.

By 游露灵

Oct 28, 2016

It's a wonderful course, very helpful to my further study in neuroscience. Would be better if the captions of tutorial videos do not have so many mistakes.

By Mark M

Sep 23, 2016

Very challenging but quite informative. Time intensive. You do need to focus all your mental faculties to take it all in.

By Marta

Jul 21, 2016

Wonderful. You need a lot of motivation beacuse it is full of (great) content, so the "lazy days" may come, but even if you fail to finish this course it is totally worth it.

By Masayuki T

Jan 16, 2018

Wonderful experience. It's the one like re-installing a brain to yourself step by step.

By Jorge E G D L

Nov 03, 2017

Simply the best Neuroscience course I've ever taken. Totally recommended!

By Rick W

Sep 04, 2017

Dr. White is an incredible teacher of an incredibly complex and fascinating subject. It was the BEST course I have ever taken. If only I had him in college (a while ago) I would have changed my career goals. I will take ANY course that he offers in the future and most definitely give this course the highest recommendation.

By Abraham N

Feb 03, 2017

I am excited to join this course... very intriguing professor and material.

By Maddy C

Jan 13, 2017

This was a fantastic course, very interesting and a real challenge! I thoroughly recommend it to those who know about medical science as those who don't will struggle. It was very hard work but worth it!!

By SV

Dec 26, 2017

One of the best neuroscience courses out there. The professor is a gem and has put so much effort into the course. A massive amount of information that will serve me well beyond the length of Coursera. Thank you so much for this quality course.

By Li Y

Jun 18, 2017

It took me a lot of hard work to complete this course. But it's really a great course and I'm very glad that I make it to the end. Thank you Duke University.