Back to Medical Neuroscience

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Medical Neuroscience by Duke University

Medical Neuroscience explores the functional organization and neurophysiology of the human central nervous system, while providing a neurobiological framework for understanding human behavior. In this course, you will discover the organization of the neural systems in the brain and spinal cord that mediate sensation, motivate bodily action, and integrate sensorimotor signals with memory, emotion and related faculties of cognition. The overall goal of this course is to provide the foundation for understanding the impairments of sensation, action and cognition that accompany injury, disease or dysfunction in the central nervous system. The course will build upon knowledge acquired through prior studies of cell and molecular biology, general physiology and human anatomy, as we focus primarily on the central nervous system. This online course is designed to include all of the core concepts in neurophysiology and clinical neuroanatomy that would be presented in most first-year neuroscience courses in schools of medicine. However, there are some topics (e.g., biological psychiatry) and several learning experiences (e.g., hands-on brain dissection) that we provide in the corresponding course offered in the Duke University School of Medicine on campus that we are not attempting to reproduce in Medical Neuroscience online. Nevertheless, our aim is to faithfully present in scope and rigor a medical school caliber course experience. This course comprises six units of content organized into 12 weeks, with an additional week for a comprehensive final exam: - Unit 1 Neuroanatomy (weeks 1-2). This unit covers the surface anatomy of the human brain, its internal structure, and the overall organization of sensory and motor systems in the brainstem and spinal cord. - Unit 2 Neural signaling (weeks 3-4). This unit addresses the fundamental mechanisms of neuronal excitability, signal generation and propagation, synaptic transmission, post synaptic mechanisms of signal integration, and neural plasticity. - Unit 3 Sensory systems (weeks 5-7). Here, you will learn the overall organization and function of the sensory systems that contribute to our sense of self relative to the world around us: somatic sensory systems, proprioception, vision, audition, and balance senses. - Unit 4 Motor systems (weeks 8-9). In this unit, we will examine the organization and function of the brain and spinal mechanisms that govern bodily movement. - Unit 5 Brain Development (week 10). Next, we turn our attention to the neurobiological mechanisms for building the nervous system in embryonic development and in early postnatal life; we will also consider how the brain changes across the lifespan. - Unit 6 Cognition (weeks 11-12). The course concludes with a survey of the association systems of the cerebral hemispheres, with an emphasis on cortical networks that integrate perception, memory and emotion in organizing behavior and planning for the future; we will also consider brain systems for maintaining homeostasis and regulating brain state....

KT

Nov 22, 2018

I leant so much without even realising it until I got to the final exams and all this knowledge was making sense. Amazing lecturer with so much wisdom in the area. The course is very well delivered.

KR

Dec 22, 2016

I have not really taken any Neuroscience courses and I have to say this was very challenging with my already full-time load at school but I did it! Yay! I love Dr. White he is an awesome professor!

151 - 175 of 359 Reviews for Medical Neuroscience

By Alisa P

Oct 17, 2016

Structural, broad, extremely interesting and so much helpful in CNS work understanding. Thank you very much for the knowledge and inspiration.

By the way, some of the universities already recognise this course as big plus for Msc application.

By Ivo T

Jun 18, 2016

This is the first course which I really liked and I will go until the end.

By Sofia I M S

Aug 11, 2016

Great course! The tutorials are very complete and the lengthy explanations allow anyone without previous knowledge of neuroscience to join the course. There are also many opportunities and ways to interact with fellow students. Thank you!

By Ignazio S M

Aug 16, 2016

excellent

By Gyeyoon Y

Aug 07, 2016

Love the course! Learned & learning a lot! One of the best professors at the coursera.org!

By Avery B

Feb 26, 2018

This class was hands-down incredible. Probably even life-changing. I couldn't recommend it more highly!

By Eugene N

May 17, 2017

Very profound and useful! Thank you!

By Adrielle S

Jun 30, 2017

Muito bom. Completo. Ilustrações muito bacanas, inglês claro e ótima didática.

By Gerardo M H

Jun 18, 2018

It's the best course about Neuroscience. The professor explain every single detailed of neuroanatomy, and he manage to relate the physiology and anatomy without trouble. At the beginin of each video, he get in you a summarize and that thing helps to argue for learning more. Unfortunately I don't have access to Sylvius, but it's easy to follow with tutorial.

By Grethe O N

Feb 14, 2017

Made me pass my neuroscience exam, THANK YOU!

By Demetrio F

Feb 14, 2017

It took ages for me to learn from books. This is definitely the best way!

By george t

Sep 16, 2017

THE BEST CLASS EVER.. In non Academic terms... "Da SH*et!" - Awesome really. Thanks Dr. White for taking the time to really dedicate such awesome materials, and with such sincerity and passion.

George - Taiwan

By Shilpa A

Nov 17, 2017

I found this course extremely useful. It was exactly what I needed and expected. A structured study of the brain and the spinal chord starting at the cellular level. A perfect course!

By Kierah R

By ANTONIOS K

Dec 23, 2016

Hard work.Knowledge. Enjoy. Thinking. Great professor. Great experiece.

By Stephanie V

Dec 22, 2016

Amazing! The Professor is very active and wishes the best for everyone

By Dean A

Jul 24, 2016

It is great for 1st year medical students! It really goes in detail for the subjects we need to know!

By mark p

Jul 09, 2017

Exceptional, e-learning at it's best

By Elena D

May 01, 2017

This is a challenging, amazingly interesting and inspiring course. It gives you great foundation in the subject as well as basis for practical application of knowledge. Many-many thanks to professor White and the Team!

By Lakshmi A

Jun 15, 2016

AMAZING CLASSES BY PROFESSOR LEO!!!!

By Alisa Z

Oct 06, 2017

Incredible course! One of a kind! I can't but admire the meticulous preparation, methodology and the constant thought about the learner that's behind it. But I have to say - this was the most difficult course I've ever taken in my life... I had my ups and downs, many times I thought that I'm going to quit - but I kept going, mainly thanks to the thoughtful organization of the study materials, which makes it so rewarding at the end, and to the community support standing by. This course is definitely unique and for me, personally, it changed a lot. I am not a medical professional and this course opened a whole new world which is worth exploring further! Finishing this course is like finishing reading a good book, when closing the last page you think of those who are going to go through it for the first time and you are happy for them. :)

By Melissa C V

Jan 31, 2018

The Best!

By Daviid K

Sep 01, 2016

Thank you very much Mr. White and team. The course is a really jewel. Mr White broadly shows different pathways and amplitudes about our brain and it composition in many aspects: biologic, anatomic, physiologic, cognitive. Indeed it is a complete and unique class. Also Mr White teach all this complex stuff with extraordinary quality in different scenarios: lab, room, his house, in a forest, unfolding new approaches. However the quizzes are very very hard and detailed but they inspire our study. Best regards from Brasil, and thank you again, Mr White, his team and Coursera.

By Esteban P

Jan 11, 2017

I took the Medical Neuroscience course as a way of getting a broad overview of the subject, and was not disappointed. The course starts with a solid basis in neuroanatomy, and builds in concepts and topics in a well structured way. The course seems to pursue two goals - on the one hand, to provide the basic neuroanatomy, physiology and functional background, and on the other to apply the knowledge to understand, identify and localize some medical conditions such as stroke, motor neuron disease, or Parkinson's Disease. The lab sessions and tutorials are entertaining and informative, thanks to Dr. White's friendly and engaging presentation style. The tutorials are accompanied by useful notes, and the frequent quizzes support the learning of the very extensive material. His recommendations for learning the material (follow the path, visualize your knowledge, learn spatially and socially) are useful in many other contexts. The materials are supported by a reference texbook, Neuroscience 5th edition from 2012, and a new edition is expected in 2017. Also, the text transcriptions of the video presentations appear to have been generated by machine, and need to be proofread and corrected. In spite of this, they are very useful to review specific points in the videos. Although the course presents a huge amount of material and the discussion forums allow both clarification of issues and questions as well as deepening and extending the knowledge provided by the basic materials in the course. I strongly recommend this course to anyone interested in gaining a basic overview of human neuroscience.

By Austin S

Mar 26, 2017

Great course. Very educational. I wish there were other free online medical-level courses of this quality available.